Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
According to some articles about the situation, the Flyers were trying to make a trade happen and possibly using the threat of the offer sheet. But that was all before the offer was actually signed.
Guess that makes sense. It all becomes a blur after awhile.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I mean, if someone is offering him 12.5+, and Toronto is offering 9.5... I can see him going.

I love Toronto, but I'd absolutely leave in a heartbeat for 3M per year.

I highly doubt that’s the case. What’s funny though is that this rumour came from a Habs player, I’m buddies with Victor Mete who’s good friends with Marner and his agent is also Darren Ferris, I saw him a couple weeks ago and he just said Marner wants to get paid. I’m seeing him again tonight we’re watching the Raptors game together with a couple other buddies, should I ask him if it was him who said that? :laugh:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Um.... None of those four first round picks will be as good as marner.

So, instead of paying the guy what he's worth, Leafs fans are OK with a quantity for quality trade. Good.... Very good.

I want to see this happen only because a team destroyed of its best young player (sorry AM) has never happened before and is uncharted waters.

As it stands, I do think the Leafs ruin their depth and resign him.

For the anti-Leafs fans, this is win/win regardless and great drama.
The bold isn't an issue, but this thread is talking about 12.5 million...he ain't worth that.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
According to some articles about the situation, the Flyers were trying to make a trade happen and possibly using the threat of the offer sheet. But that was all before the offer was actually signed.

If Weber's traded, Flyers have the leverage

You have to wade through all the commentary and unfortunately Nashville decided to match and we'll never know the 'WHAT IF', but it does mention Philly and Nashville possibly working out a trade even after Weber signed the OS.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Ok but I'm a 100% sure those teams were talking trade so there must be some way around it. If im wrong I'm wrong no problem admitting that. But I know what I remember going on around here at the time and the cba that was signed after that offer sheet might of changed the rule.
I too do not know the exact rules, but I did find this which shows someone thought they could work out a trade in lieu of the compensation.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
At draft, Marner (unsigned) for Colorado 4th and 16th overall
Leafs draft Bowen Byram plus BPA at 16.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lets see where he ends up before proclaiming this shall we? Marner is an absolutely amazing player...but it's no coincidence that he upped his career high by almost 30 points the same year Tavares showed up,
You realize because of Marner, JT put up career numbers right? I would say maybe you should watch him but you are a leaf fan so the fact you dont know how special Mitch is means your evaluations of players are poor or you are mad that he might sign somewhere else so you are trying to make him out for worse than he is. If i had to guess it’s the latter.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, there's 6 guys who put up 100 and 10 who put up over 95. 100 points isn't a top-5 forward anymore, especially if it's a playmaking winger.
Thats cool, but hes 22 and will just get better. 110 points could be his future, does that make him a top 5 forward?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Guess that makes sense. It all becomes a blur after awhile.

Something else that I just found. Apparently there was some discussion between Nashville and Philly about the Predators not matching and then trading back some of those four picks in exchange for players. Which I suppose at the end of the day is the same outcome. The trade just can't be directly for the target player.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That's not the point. If the Leafs are worried he wants to test FA, why wouldn't the team that puts an offer in not be worried too? Then picture the number of assets I gotta send Toronto only to see him say thanks but no thanks, now I wind up with the draft picks? I think that is super risky unless you know you're going to blow him away with an offer he cannot refuse.

That's not how offer sheets work. The other team won't care since he's not their property until the RFA period starts

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You realize because of Marner, JT put up career numbers right? I would say maybe you should watch him but you are a leaf fan so the fact you dont know how special Mitch is means your evaluations of players are poor or you are mad that he might sign somewhere else so you are trying to make him out for worse than he is. If i had to guess it’s the latter.
You miss the part where i said "Marner is an absolutely amazing player"?

And mad? Nope. We'll either have Marner....or a bunch of cap space and 4 1st rounders, tough to be mad here.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Something else that I just found. Apparently there was some discussion between Nashville and Philly about the Predators not matching and then trading back some of those four picks in exchange for players. Which I suppose at the end of the day is the same outcome. The trade just can't be directly for the target player.
Riiiiiiight that's what I remember now. Thanks for digging!

Reactions: ToDavid

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
If I'm Marner I would be pissed getting offers like 10,5 M$ after what Skinner got I know people will tell me that Skinner was UFA and all but after the season Marner had. Damn 30 more points than Skinner in his 3rd season I would tell myself that this isn't 1.5M$ more. But hey Leafs fans I will just worry what Rantanen will be getting before thinking what Marner will :laugh: Can't wait to see some actions though I'm bored at work.
1. Skinner did not played with Tavares
2. Skinner scored more goals than Marner
3. Like you said, Skinner is a UFA and had all the leverage.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

You have to wade through all the commentary and unfortunately Nashville decided to match and we'll never know the 'WHAT IF', but it does mention Philly and Nashville possibly working out a trade even after Weber signed the OS.
They could talk whatever they’d like but a trade wouldn’t have been approved by the NHL until ONE year after the OS was signed.

Give up. You’re wrong.

Reactions: Liferleafer

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wonder if something changed in the cba that followed shortly after that was signed.

I don't know, never really followed the whole OS stuff after that. That was a doozy though, damn. I vividly remember all the trade talk revolving around Couturier and Brayden Schenn. It was madness.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Marner on the Avs would actually be killer...

I wonder if they're confident enough in their already acquired young talent to throw out an offersheet.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Notice how there are no threads like this for Rantanen (who everyone says is better than Marner), or Point (who people say is better than Matthews).

It's because people can claim they hate the leafs, but you eat this shit up. So they keep printing it, and you all swarm to it like a moth to a flame, laughing at the Leafs and such.

And then they keep talking about the Leafs, and you guys are like "Screw TSN/ Sportsnet! It's all Leaf talk!"... Well no shit it's all Leaf talk. They aren't pandering to Leaf fans, half the takes are terrible and that is pandering to NON Leaf fans who eat up this drama.

Like I said, no one thinks Marner is worth that deal. Maybe in years 6 or 7 he is worth it, but when you have JT in his prime, Matthews and Nylander signed for 5 more years, you need him to be worth it now, not after the window has closed.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out Marner if that's what you want to do. I'm sure some team will celebrate like they got McDavid, and HFboards will not love Marner more than any other player, but at the end of the day, he's a 9M winger who will be massively overpaid.

I hope whoever signs him has a goal scorer to put him with. And I hope the trade for the Leafs solves the defense and cap issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad