Marlies / Prospects Thread - Marlies training camp has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Is it because of the 4 year development curve without the need to sign the player you're a fan of? Or the systems they employ?

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the NCAA myself. I hate the way the NCAA operates but I like that prospects in that system can grow as players and enter the NHL/AHL as 23-24 old players versus 19-20 year old.

I really like the development curve. 1-4 years with the option of having a player leave and go the CHL/AHL. Plus it's generally a league that focuses on defense more which usually adds some strong elements in to players games. And for players that are raw it can be a great league. Not a huge chunk of games, but lots of time to develop physically outside the ice rink. Plus I generally like that most players face older and more physical mature players.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I've watched Fucale a lot , close to a hundred times , no doubt he's a good goaltender but I don't see him ever being a #1 in the NHL. Back up , maybe but even that's a stretch. This year will be the real test for him. He won't have a Memorial Cup or Top Canadian ranked team in front of him. My comment isn't suggesting Bibeau is better , no one will know that for another couple of years since goaltenders developing later than other prospects.

My dad's been a Mooseheads season ticket holder for the past few years now and has always said that Fucale reminded him a lot of Fleury. He's got a lot of the tools, the talent is there, but you get nervous watching him play, he can lose focus, and he might not have that mental fortitude that long-lasting starters require.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm a big fan of the NCAA route, so I'm pleased that we have a good chunk of prospects making that jump this year.

That said, only 4 CHLers this year is a little dissapointing. But they should be fun to watch

Yep, I'm a big fan of the NCAA development process. I feel it gets a bad rap on here for some reason.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Yep, I'm a big fan of the NCAA development process. I feel it gets a bad rap on here for some reason.

because most of the top players aren't American imo, not to be racist but most of the top players ARE canadian and they played in the CHL obviously.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
because most of the top players aren't American imo, not to be racist but most of the top players ARE canadian and they played in the CHL obviously.

The Americans we drafted this year look really good. Good mixture of size and skill, and the NCAA will be the best route for them to develop.

Ace88*

That... Has nothing to do with... Racism? Canadian isn't a race lol

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's on a tryout with the Avalanche.

He's been released now. PTO's don't usually do well unless they fill specific needs or really impress. He's likely just going to find a team to play for in like the ECHL for a year or something.

Tyler Biggs*

The Leafs need to use the Red Wings as a model for success in the NHL. Scout and draft well, they stay in AHL and still developed by NHL coaching and only play in NHL when ready. If they learn the defensive system well and show they can perform well using it, then they get to play. TML need to stop trading away draft picks and develop defensive strategies that work. Let the kids develop please!

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
The Leafs need to use the Red Wings as a model for success in the NHL. Scout and draft well, they stay in AHL and still developed by NHL coaching and only play in NHL when ready. If they learn the defensive system well and show they can perform well using it, then they get to play. TML need to stop trading away draft picks and develop defensive strategies that work. Let the kids develop please!

Agree. You are always going to get top players like Tavares/MacKinnon etc who will walk right into the line up at 18, but if management is unsure always take cautious approach and send back to junior for more development time. I hope we take similar approach with Nylander that we did with Kadri.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
the problem i had with kadri's development was that they kept bouncing him, affecting stability. imo nylander should spend a full season to develop more man-strength, but if he's under forsberg in sweden, i think he'll be in good hands.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
"More man strength". As opposed to child strength?

You hear something new every day I guess.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Couple notes.

First, the Red Wings have only had 5 more picks than the Leafs over the past decade. They've had only 6 first round picks compared to the Leafs 9.

Secondly, when you listen to the Red Wings talk about development, thye actively mention that their model is BECAUSE they haven't had top picks to use, which has led to them taking a more patient approach. They have gone as far as to say imply by omission that had they had a top ten pick, that player's development would change dramatically.

Thirdly, the Leafs are developing this sort of strategy and have been doing it for a while now. You're basically complaining about something that doesn't exist anymore. Basically it's been Rielly that has made it fast. Kadri was held for a long time. Basically Schenn was the last player we had that was rushed (it's too early to suggest Rielly might have been, he clearly fits in the Detroit idea of an exception since he's a high pick).

People need to stop complaining about things they clearly ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad