Marlies / Prospects Thread - Marlies training camp has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
is bibeau (drafted 6th rd) now better than fucale (drafted 2nd rd -MTL)? especially after the year he had and the training camp he has had so far?

or is fucale still better?

we'll know the true answer in a few years, but if it's simply based on performance and not estimated skill, i'd say it's hard to argue that bibeau isn't ahead now.

fucale was playing on a much stronger team with less shots on net, if i remember right. bibeau has been standing on his head and doesn't cave into pressure. all good signs, especially getting the goalie mvp of a tournament.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Wasn't Bibeau drafted as an overager? Not that it negates his accomplishments.

Also in regards to Broll, I believe he has the makings of a solid third-liner. The only way he becomes a second-liner is if that line needs a grinder to muck it up, somewhat like a kulemin I suppose. And we all know the chemistry Kule had with that line. It would be nice if one of Broll, Ashton or Biggs became a Kulemin.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Wasn't Bibeau drafted as an overager? Not that it negates his accomplishments.

Also in regards to Broll, I believe he has the makings of a solid third-liner. The only way he becomes a second-liner is if that line needs a grinder to muck it up, somewhat like a kulemin I suppose. And we all know the chemistry Kule had with that line. It would be nice if one of Broll, Ashton or Biggs became a Kulemin.

He was but not many goaltenders have impacted their team in the q as much as Bibeau. I remember during last series of the QMJHL and during the memorial cup where Bibeau would face 50 shots every game. Even taking age into consideration, Bibeau has accomplished more and Fucale would have to either match that feat or do more, which is unlikely (still a chance). Also, don't count frattin out for filling Kulemin's role. I feel Biggs by next year can surpass Clarkson since he has more tools (skating, stronger upper body work, better defensive acumen, IQ). He just has not exhibited a better offensive package yet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bibeau was drafted as a 19 year old. I'm not sure if the term 'overager' is properly used here but he was passed over in his first draft eligible year.

His CHL overager year is this upcoming season, if he does go back down. At this rate though, he might as well be the Marlies starter. He's been that good.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Enjoyed the comments from Sea of Blue and others on the Leafs pugilistic prospects from the Burke era. What I take then from the feedback is that Devane might be a fourth liner and Broll has some upside. Ryan has already been written off and there is not a lot of hope for Ross. Considering what Burke was trumpeting about a truculent team, that does not seem to be a lot of return on two second round draft picks and a third with only the one taken well down (Broll in the sixth) having any real chance of being an impact player (above the fourth line) on the Leafs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It is showing now.

The total lack of foresight and over emphasis on grit/ truculence. Burke had no real plan and it is showing up now. A 2nd rounder thrown away to get Biggs, who could have been had later. A 2nd to take Ross, a 3rd to take Devane early, a 2nd for Ryan, a 2nd thrown in for overpayment on Kessel and in the end the best player of the truculent waste of picks is Broll, a fifth rounder.

People say Burke was fired because Bell didn't like his style. The prospect pool he left behind says he just plain needed to be fired. He already has Monahan and Bennett in Calgary, looks like he has seen the light.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Bibeau was drafted as a 19 year old. I'm not sure if the term 'overager' is properly used here but he was passed over in his first draft eligible year.

His CHL overager year is this upcoming season, if he does go back down. At this rate though, he might as well be the Marlies starter. He's been that good.

He's been that good eh? I didn't get to watch any of the rookie games but that's awesome to hear.

I think when discussing Fucale/Bibeau (which I think is one of those things other fans think makes us sort of a laughingstock) it is important to remember that Bibeau basically has a year of development on Fucale because he was drafted in his 19 year old season.

And there seem to be a lot of people who misuse overager. Bibeau was not an overager. He was drafted after being eligible for another draft. It was different. Just like Brown was not an overager.

And overage is a season where the player is turning twenty before December 31st.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The total lack of foresight and over emphasis on grit/ truculence. Burke had no real plan and it is showing up now. A 2nd rounder thrown away to get Biggs, who could have been had later. A 2nd to take Ross, a 3rd to take Devane early, a 2nd for Ryan, a 2nd thrown in for overpayment on Kessel and in the end the best player of the truculent waste of picks is Broll, a fifth rounder.

People say Burke was fired because Bell didn't like his style. The prospect pool he left behind says he just plain needed to be fired. He already has Monahan and Bennett in Calgary, looks like he has seen the light.

If you're going to roast Burke for Biggs you should at least do so knowing the proper context.

It was widely reported and speculated by those in the know (like Elliotte Friedman for example) that Biggs was coveted by other teams including the Detroit Red Wings. They were planning on taking him in the first, hence why Burke traded up since they happened to be before the Leafs picked.

So roast him all you want for taking Biggs, it wasn't the best pick, but context matters and you're leaving a lot of it out.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
is bibeau (drafted 6th rd) now better than fucale (drafted 2nd rd -MTL)? especially after the year he had and the training camp he has had so far?

or is fucale still better?

I've watched Fucale a lot , close to a hundred times , no doubt he's a good goaltender but I don't see him ever being a #1 in the NHL. Back up , maybe but even that's a stretch. This year will be the real test for him. He won't have a Memorial Cup or Top Canadian ranked team in front of him. My comment isn't suggesting Bibeau is better , no one will know that for another couple of years since goaltenders developing later than other prospects.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wow. So few prospects to follow this year in the CHL. Kind of disappointing.

They drafted a lotfrom the USHL/NCAA this year.

I'm not saying that the guys picked aren't good prospects or shouldn't have been picked in our spot, but it would have been nice to have one or two of those to be CHLers.

Ah well.

On the flip side of that, we'll some really good ones to follow. Verhaeghe, Valiev and Gauthier are all solid to good prospects.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Wow. So few prospects to follow this year in the CHL. Kind of disappointing.

I'm not the least bit disappointed. We drafted properly this year. We didn't take a less skilled player because they're were in our backyard. We took the best player available regardless of where they were from. I'm very excited about this year's crop. Some of those American kids are some interesting prospects. Should be entertaining to follow their seasons.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Meh, more reason to follow the Marlies ;)

Actually the Leafs have developed a ton of junior prospects to the point that the Marlies almost have too much depth .. I like the fact that the Leafs too some college-route players since they're more projected picks that won't have to compete for a spot on the Marlies in the next year or two

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Enjoyed the comments from Sea of Blue and others on the Leafs pugilistic prospects from the Burke era. What I take then from the feedback is that Devane might be a fourth liner and Broll has some upside. Ryan has already been written off and there is not a lot of hope for Ross. Considering what Burke was trumpeting about a truculent team, that does not seem to be a lot of return on two second round draft picks and a third with only the one taken well down (Broll in the sixth) having any real chance of being an impact player (above the fourth line) on the Leafs.

If Nylander goes to the AHL then we are going to need that muscle. There was a period around xmas last year when teams were running Spensor Abbott nonstop and finally hurt him. That can't happen again with Nylander.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I'm not saying that the guys picked aren't good prospects or shouldn't have been picked in our spot, but it would have been nice to have one or two of those to be CHLers.

Ah well.

On the flip side of that, we'll some really good ones to follow. Verhaeghe, Valiev and Gauthier are all solid to good prospects.

Donaghey is now our prospect as well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If Nylander goes to the AHL then we are going to need that muscle. There was a period around xmas last year when teams were running Spensor Abbott nonstop and finally hurt him. That can't happen again with Nylander.

you're telling me broll, biggs, devane, mclaren, holzer, macwilliam, ashton, ross, smithson, granberg, bodie, staubitz, marshall, crescenzi wasn't enough muscle last year?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Ah well.

I'm a big fan of the NCAA route, so I'm pleased that we have a good chunk of prospects making that jump this year.

That said, only 4 CHLers this year is a little dissapointing. But they should be fun to watch

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
you're telling me broll, biggs, devane, mclaren, holzer, macwilliam, ashton, ross, smithson, granberg, bodie, staubitz, marshall, crescenzi wasn't enough muscle last year?

Well they didn't do jack about it even after he was carted off.

Maybe they just need to understand what the priorities are if Nylander is on the roster.

Devane is a scary puncher and he might need to goon it up more. The AHL goons aren't scared of anything except maybe a broken jaw and a concussion.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm a big fan of the NCAA route, so I'm pleased that we have a good chunk of prospects making that jump this year.

That said, only 4 CHLers this year is a little dissapointing. But they should be fun to watch

Is it because of the 4 year development curve without the need to sign the player you're a fan of? Or the systems they employ?

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the NCAA myself. I hate the way the NCAA operates but I like that prospects in that system can grow as players and enter the NHL/AHL as 23-24 old players versus 19-20 year old.

Last edited:

Jacob8hockey*

Is it because of the 4 year development curve without the need to sign the player you're a fan of? Or the systems they employ?

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the NCAA myself. I hate the way the NCAA operates myself but I like that prospects in that system can grow as players and enter the NHL/AHL as 23-24 old players versus 19-20 year old.

Ya I agree. The NCAA itself is corrupt. The actual school/players/programs are great.

Sucks that it is being run so poorly (all sports).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad