Marlies / Prospects Thread - Marlies training camp has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Marlies have signed a few players to amateur tryout contracts for rookie tournament.
NHL leafs site roster has a few listed including this Finn...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8478191

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/leafs-sign-bilcke-to-amateur-tryout-deal

Leafs have invited the following to amateur tryouts for the September rookie camp. Waltteri Hopponen, Parker Bowles, Ty Bilckie, Zach Bratina, Kayle Doetzel, Cory(sic) Donaghey, Jeremie Fraser, Zach Hall.

Matt Rupert is also listed on the Toronto roster....http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?team=TOR&pg=2

Funny. That NHL roster page also has all the former leafs Russian picks listed. Vorobiev for example is still listed. Must be leafs property still.

Previous Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1678617

Last edited by a moderator:

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Would anyone know when Thommie bergman started working as a scout for the leafs? And if he's responsible for overseeing the scouting in Russia?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Would anyone know when Thommie bergman started working as a scout for the leafs? And if he's responsible for overseeing the scouting in Russia?

July 1998.

I imagine he scouts in Russia as well. Nonis said recently that its a bit of a myth that he just stays in Sweden and pumps Swedish guys' tires. Apparently he travels and scouts everywhere.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
July 1998.

I imagine he scouts in Russia as well. Nonis said recently that its a bit of a myth that he just stays in Sweden and pumps Swedish guys' tires. Apparently he travels and scouts everywhere.

Well the Swedes and Fins are more reliable. They don't get paid as much as the NHL, so if they can make it to the NHL, they'll go there. The KHL also has inflated salaries, so Russians (and yes, some Fins and Swedes and other Europeans too but not as likely) sometimes flock if they can make a whole lot more money there. That being said, I think we are focusing more on Russians who we know are coming over/already came over (look at Valiev).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
http://yushkevich.wordpress.com/2014/07/

Marlies have signed a few players to amateur tryout contracts for rookie tournament.
NHL leafs site roster has a few listed including this Finn...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8478191

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/leafs-sign-bilcke-to-amateur-tryout-deal

Previous Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1678617

Well we aren't going to be signing any of them. It's really an advanced scouting report. The Finn looks pretty good stats wise, so maybe he's on the list next year, but the other guys, whom have been invited to the camp a while back, didn't look to great. I think we'll build through prospect trades if anything. We have pieces to spare such as MacWilliam, Holzer, Knodel, Marshall, Orr, McLaren, Ross, Broll/Devane, Ashton, Cameranesi, Everson, etc. that can fetch some decent returns in a prospect trade of sorts; guys with similar playing styles but are a whole lot better.

That Blikle guy is pretty bad though. If we trade Orr and don't get a replacement (for example I suggested an Orr and Marshall for Noreau and Kantor swap with NYR), he may get a shot but otherwise I don't see it.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
July 1998.

Thanks. I just looked at the 2006 draft and it was a home run. His picks have a pretty high conversion rate starting in that time period.

Tyler Biggs*

One thing though, I'll be very disappointed and ticked if they don't give some of the Marlies a chance, guys like Granberg. People always saying we need veteran or experienced players instead of rookies. Well there's only one problem with that, every experienced player was a rookie at some point or other. If rookies aren't given a chance, how will they ever become experienced veterans?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
One thing though, I'll be very disappointed and ticked if they don't give some of the Marlies a chance, guys like Granberg. People always saying we need veteran or experienced players instead of rookies. Well there's only one problem with that, every experienced player was a rookie at some point or other. If rookies aren't given a chance, how will they ever become experienced veterans?

And there's a problem with your logic here. They say we need vets on the team now, giving rookies the chance so they could turn into experienced veterans further down the road doesn't help that one bit.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Has anyone heard anything about the other Finnish player that the Leafs picked up this via trade for Mark Fraser? I know he was playing in the KHL.

Teemu Hartikainen - stats in the KHL last season:

2013-14 Ufa KHL 47 14 16 30 5 2 - 0 - 1 32 99 14.14 -

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Has anyone heard anything about the other Finnish player that the Leafs picked up this via trade for Mark Fraser? I know he was playing in the KHL.

Teemu Hartikainen - stats in the KHL last season:

2013-14 Ufa KHL 47 14 16 30 5 2 - 0 - 1 32 99 14.14 -

Yes, but he's going back to the KHL next year and is no longer described as a Leafs prospect. I think after we signed Bodie, he gave up on us so he's gone for at least a year. He has NHL quality, but we are the worst team for bottom 6ers looking to make the NHL.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bodie - he's kinda a tweener for me - lots of heart but not enough talent to stick in the NHL - reminds of a Darryl Boyce or Ben Ondrus type of player...

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Bodie - he's kinda a tweener for me - lots of heart but not enough talent to stick in the NHL - reminds of a Darryl Boyce or Ben Ondrus type of player...

He was impressive last year. Plus there aren't many people who play right wing on the bottom line, so he's likely going to make the team. If Booth played RW, then maybe he wouldn't. Santorelli plays RW, but he's a natural center. Komarov plays LW/C. As does Winnik. Bodie will beat out Ashton and Orr so... We too much depth on the left wing; there will have to be a trade involving one coming eventually.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Kevin McGran ‏@kevin_mcgran
Nylander is expected to skip Sweden's World Under-20 training camp to focus on making the #Leafs this September.

What a diva :sarcasm: Nah but he's essentially guaranteed a roster spot for Sweden anyways.

I admire his work ethic, but I doubt he makes the big team. That said, there's a notable hole at the #2 RW position, for all you optimists out there ;)

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
He was impressive last year. Plus there aren't many people who play right wing on the bottom line, so he's likely going to make the team. If Booth played RW, then maybe he wouldn't. Santorelli plays RW, but he's a natural center. Komarov plays LW/C. As does Winnik. Bodie will beat out Ashton and Orr so... We too much depth on the left wing; there will have to be a trade involving one coming eventually.

so bottom six could look like a combo of

lw: komarov, winnik

c: kontiala, wiinnik, komarov, santorelli

rw: santorelli, clarkson, bodie, frattin

right wing and center seem to be more full

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
so bottom six could look like a combo of

lw: komarov, winnik

c: kontiala, wiinnik, komarov, santorelli

rw: santorelli, clarkson, bodie, frattin

right wing and center seem to be more full

Yes but Santorelli will likely not play much wing (more center), Komarov and Winnik not much center, more left wing. Clarkson/ Frattin will be top 6. That leaves Bodie and Frattin; but Bodie is a left wing first.

Alcorn

May 15, 2011
Just noticed that Abbott hasn't been re-signed yet. Kind of strange that they would qualify a guy like that and then leave him unsigned for this long. I can't imagine negotiations would be all that difficult either.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
Yes but Santorelli will likely not play much wing (more center), Komarov and Winnik not much center, more left wing. Clarkson/ Frattin will be top 6. That leaves Bodie and Frattin; but Bodie is a left wing first.

Don't see why people think this. Santa played a large chunk of his games as a right wing last season and had a quite successful season by his standards doing so. The Leafs are paper thin offensively speaking on the right wing, moving Santa to play a position that they actually have some depth at just doesn't make much sense at all. With him on right wing it'll balance the lines and you can do something like:

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santa/Clarkson
Komarov - Holland/Kontiola - Santa/Clarkson
Winnik/Booth - Holland/Kontiola - Frattin/Winnik/Booth

If one of Holland or Konitiola fail to make any impact then you move them out of the way and only at that point would I consider moving Santorelli to the middle. Then you'd look like:

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Komarov - Santo - Frattin
Winnik/Booth - Holland - Winnik/Booth

Basically it would force the Leafs to play at least one winger on his off wing (Not including Lupul who plays off as his good wing...) and likely forces Frattin up the lineup.

I think if you're a Leafs fan you should really be hoping for a ideal world situation where Holland and Konitiola come into camp and perform well enough to stick so we've got some better balance to this lineup.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Kevin McGran ‏@kevin_mcgran
Nylander is expected to skip Sweden's World Under-20 training camp to focus on making the #Leafs this September.

if he doesnt make the leafs can he still be part of u20 team if he missing camp?

Yes, but he's going back to the KHL next year and is no longer described as a Leafs prospect. I think after we signed Bodie, he gave up on us so he's gone for at least a year. He has NHL quality, but we are the worst team for bottom 6ers looking to make the NHL.

surely the leafs could use another bottom 6 winger lol

he is an easily replaceable player but i think there is no doubt he has enough talent to be a 4th line nhl player

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
he is an easily replaceable player but i think there is no doubt he has enough talent to be a 4th line nhl player

To be honest, he offers a fighting skill. Winnik, Santorelli and the others offer toughness, but Bodie is the only guy close to someone who can drop the mitts on a regular basis. I think there are times when you do need a guy who can drop them so the other team's plugs don't abuse our players when checking doesn't keep them in line. When he doesn't though, he does everything else better than the average 4th liner. Really had a coming out season last year; proven to be a solid NHLer better than he was when he was 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad