Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects thread - Season gets going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I would not be opposed to picking the top rated goalie this year, especially if they fall around the late 1st early 2nd range. I think the early 2nd round is a great spot to try and pick up an elite goaltending prospect. I emphasize the prospect because like we all know goalies are very hard to predict and it is hard to find players that transfer over.

But if we use our 2nd round pick or even one acquired in a trade (maybe even Carlyle :)) then I would be on board with a goalie pick.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Definitely need more depth there. I still have no idea why we weren't in the running for GTA native Matt O'Connor. We should have been all over him.

Really not sure either to be honest. Unless they didn't think all that highly of him? But I mean he was a free wallet so not sure why

I think you can pick up goalies as you need them. Look at the likes of Scrivens/Ramo who were waived.

They do need to draft goalies and have them develop over time, but I think you can get average NHL goaltenders off free agency or waiver wire (or cheaply through trade).

Yeah, but look at the quality of goaltender you've listed. I'm talking about a guy you can actually win with

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Great tidbit on Johnson and his contract with the Marlies. Super smart idea. I didn't even know it could be structured that way. Dubas is a hell of a future GM.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-flames-willing-to-deal-but-is-anyone-else/

Johnson is a 34-year-old forward, an 11-year-pro who joined the Toronto Marlies after a season with the ECHL’s Alaska Aces. He’s played two NHL games, both for the Islanders in the 2013-14 season, where, by all accounts, he was a very popular teammate at their AHL affiliate in Bridgeport.

Sixteen different forwards have played for the Marlies in just seven games. That’s a roster nightmare, because you know those who sit are grumbling.

“There’s a logjam there, so they wanted a veteran with good habits who won’t cause a problem,” Johnson’s agent, Jeff Helperl, said last week. “Yes, he wants to play, but also do the things the Marlies are looking for. Justin’s biggest selling point is his character.”

It’s also likely the Marlies wanted someone to protect their youth in case opponents started running at them. It’s tough to say for sure, because assistant GM Kyle Dubas, who negotiated with Helperl, is in media jail.

The interesting thing is how the team and the agent designed this contract. The structure is very different, with a couple of agents and executives saying they’d never seen anything like it before. Johnson’s salary and signing bonus are normal, in American funds.

What stands out are the bonuses.

Johnson gets:
*$5,000 (these are in Canadian dollars) for every Marlie who scores 20 goals
*$5,000 for every Marlie who reaches 50 points
*$2,500 based on the success of the power play and penalty kill
*$2,500 for everyone who plays 10 games with the Marlies and 15 with the Maple Leafs

“Initially, it was more elaborate than what it ended up being,” Helperl said. “It took a month to finish.”

Also another part on Campbell and his high AHL salary:

My interest in AHL salaries piqued when Toronto signed Andrew Campbell to a contract worth $250,000 this season and $400,000 next season. That’s a terrific amount at that level. Commissioner Dave Andrews stresses it is a developmental league, but each team has room for five veterans (those who have played at least 260 professional games) with the potential of one other exemption.

Andrews won’t discuss the finances, but, according to one source, there are more than 50 players above $250,000, with Michael Leighton at $450,000. Ten seasons ago, there was nobody. The average salary (not counting those on NHL contracts) is creeping towards $100,000. The biggest challenge may be western expansion since living in California can be expensive, but the overall rise in salaries says very good things about the growth of the AHL.

Last edited:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Dermott, Bracco and Dzierkals for Konecny

Travis Dermott- was great in training camp and is a solid 2-way defender who will imo become a solid number 3 d-man for the Leafs. Is the #1 on a strong Erie team.

Jeremy Bracco- holds the USNTDP assist record beating out the likes of Patrick Kane and Phil Kessel. He is undersized and has had a rough start in Boston, but just look at Gaudreau who is of similar size and is already a top playmaker in the leagues.

Martins Dzierkals- maybe you haven't heard of him, but he is dominating the Q matching the production of Nikita Kucherov at the same age and on the same team. He is veeerrry fast and good be a great 2nd/3rd line winger assuming he has a good transition to pro.

Travis Konecny- could very well be the best player out of the bunch. Dermott will be a player and between Bracco and Dzierkals we could very well have a player or two similar or better in skill than Konecny. Konecny is also injury prone, so I'll take 3 close players to the one marginally better player.

I really liked Konecny, also, and was a bit disappointed we didn't take him or Merkley especially since I was a little underwhelmed with the Dzerkalis and Dermott picks.
Can't say I think the same thing now as all the players we picked look like very good prospects and trading down looks a bit of a shrewd move.

One thing I thought was a bit of an eye opener, as the fact Ottawa passed on Konecny. Based on fact he plays in Ottawa, I'm sure no team had a better handle on him than anyone and they passed.

Last edited:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Why do people always overlook Bibeau? He wasn't drafted high or anything but he's shown to be really good at the AHL level at the very least.

They don't have the huge hype or pedigree as other goaltenders but I think we have something really good in Bibeau at the very least. Big athletic goaltender that is fairly consistent and comes up big a lot of times. Only 21 years old and taking over the #1 job from Sparks.

Campbell hasn't done anything worth noting since turning pro and he's actually in the ECHL right now. Samsonov is still a long ways away but doing well in the KHL. Gibson definitely appears to have top end potential, which is why Anaheim doesn't want to trade him.

It's tough to find a great goaltender at a young age it feels like. They are very tough to gauge. Bernier was supposed to be great (drafted very high too) but never really progressed as anticipated. Now he looks even worst then when we got him.

Getting a great goaltender takes a lot of patience and some luck. Draft one in almost every draft, sign them when they are UFA (O'Connor for example) and hope they develop.

Not overlooking Bibeau but we could definitely use some depth at the position. Lets say Bibeau doesn't pan out, Sparks is the only real hope. For some reason, we seem to have bypassed drafting goalies a little bit.

Couple of good one's in this year's draft who probably go in the 2nd round. Fitzpatrick and Wells. Also read somewhere there is a goalie in the WHL up in 2017 who is getting some rave reviews and could be a first rounder.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
on the goalie front there is a article somewhere at hf, that shows daft positions and which rounds the keepers had been taken. then the ones signed as a ufas. it's a headache to look at but it does have some method to its madness

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I think you can pick up goalies as you need them. Look at the likes of Scrivens/Ramo who were waived.

They do need to draft goalies and have them develop over time, but I think you can get average NHL goaltenders off free agency or waiver wire (or cheaply through trade).

I agree, up to a point. Most goalies available from FA/waivers seem to be the type who can fill in as a #1 for a season or 2 while your top prospect finishes developing, not really the kind of guy you want for a SC run (I wouldn't be opposed to that strategy, but it's not a reason to not draft a goalie). That being said, sometimes you can get a true #1 who is a little bit past his prime (example of Ryan Miller to Van a couple yrs ago comes to mind).

Not overlooking Bibeau but we could definitely use some depth at the position. Lets say Bibeau doesn't pan out, Sparks is the only real hope. For some reason, we seem to have bypassed drafting goalies a little bit.

Couple of good one's in this year's draft who probably go in the 2nd round. Fitzpatrick and Wells. Also read somewhere there is a goalie in the WHL up in 2017 who is getting some rave reviews and could be a first rounder.

Carter Hart is a 2016 eligible from the WHL who is getting quite a bit of notice, I remember someone was posting about him in the draft thread. He would be another guy to consider if we end up with multiple 2nd/3rd rd picks.

As to the bolded, I believe the fact that we had 3 guys competing for 2 spots on the Marlies may have played a factor (or maybe there was just no goalies that our scouts thought we worth drafting with our picks). I think that should change this year tho.

Lucas Peressini voted 3rd best goalie.

I think he might earn himself a contract with another strong year. Maybe only an AHL deal, but it's way too early to make any kind of decision.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Broulliard highly rated by coaches too.

What prevented him earning a deal with Toronto? Injury?

And some other things, like size. He's the type of guy we may give an AHL deal to, as a replacement to Brennan, but he's not ELC quality (at least not to start).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Andreas Johnson is a guy that a lot of Leafs fans will be shocked about next year. He doesn't get as much fanfare as the other prospects.

Wasn't very highly regarded in his draft year due to the undiagnosed asthma issue.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Andreas Johnson is a guy that a lot of Leafs fans will be shocked about next year. He doesn't get as much fanfare as the other prospects.

Wasn't very highly regarded in his draft year due to the undiagnosed asthma issue.

One of the few left over prospects that will thrive under the new system.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

And he was really undersized. Not only was he short at 5'9", he didn't have a lot on him at like 170lbs. Even now he only weighs like 185 or something at 5'10".

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Professional stat watcher here. Andreas Johnson point production should be taken with "a grain of salt". Frolunda is scoring 4.36 goals/game this year while last year they only scored 2.64 goals/game. Obviously a pt/game is still very good regardless.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Dzierkals is having a great season as well.

I know its only been one draft but I'm in love with Hunter's picks, I want this season to end asap so we can get to draft day :laugh:

edit: wtf i thought this was the prospects thread lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad