Player Discussion: Mark Scheifele Discussion Part III

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It's cause I got a #55 HC jersey, boys, I'm sorry :sarcasm:

The season I buy a Cammalleri Habs jersey - traded
The season I buy an Adrian Peterson Vikings jersey - child abuse case
The season I buy a Mark Scheifele Jets jersey - injured

I got the same jersey... my first Jets jersey was a pavelec jersey... what have I done :cry:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
This is nothing. March 5th, 2014 Jets play the Islanders http://www2.tsn.ca/story/?id=445294. This is the only regular season Jets game I have ever been to (gift because I am moving away from the peg). I buy a Scheif jersey before the game. I am watching as Scheifele goes down with a season ending mcl tear, ending both the Jets playoff hopes and the season of my favorite player. sigh

I got the same jersey... my first Jets jersey was a pavelec jersey... what have I done :cry:

So wait... it's ALL of us. **** this curse is worse than I thought.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So I guess our Mark gets things done. Even with all these concerns with his play he is 11th in the league in total points and 19th P/60 sorted for 400 minutes played. Agreed he is nursing something but remains a legit thread to be an eighty point guy.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
So I guess our Mark gets things done. Even with all these concerns with his play he is 11th in the league in total points and 19th P/60 sorted for 400 minutes played. Agreed he is nursing something but remains a legit thread to be an eighty point guy.

The season is shot. I would prefer he sit until healed completely

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The season is shot. I would prefer he sit until healed completely

If you sat players with nagging injuries by mid season it would be impossible to field a team...in any sport. It comes down to a question if further play can lead to a greater injury. If not athletes play unless there are better options.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Someone say my name? Say my name!

Schiefs got a nagging leg injury or he's turned into a lazy son of a gun. Both can be corrected.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Suppose it could be alot of things though.....quitting on the coach, found a girlfriend [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
If you sat players with nagging injuries by mid season it would be impossible to field a team...in any sport. It comes down to a question if further play can lead to a greater injury. If not athletes play unless there are better options.

If it were still possible to make the layoffs I would agree. Let him heal and bring up Jack R for some experience.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
You ever been to a company quack? Always get a second opinion.

I'm pretty sure professional athletes get the very best medical care money can buy. Probably on par with military medical care, as ****ed up as that is.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If it were still possible to make the layoffs I would agree. Let him heal and bring up Jack R for some experience.

Playing hockey is what these guys do. Watching them play is what fans pay for. Putting players out to pasture to save them for next season is a non-existent possibility.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Here's a quote from a leaf fan regarding Scheifele...
"I think he'll sink like a stone, we routinely see somebody unexpected that is top ten in scoring until about December each year, hell Bozak even did once. Mark did it this season, participation trophy award, not legit 1C title."
Are some people really this misinformed?

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Here's a quote from a leaf fan regarding Scheifele...
"I think he'll sink like a stone, we routinely see somebody unexpected that is top ten in scoring until about December each year, hell Bozak even did once. Mark did it this season, participation trophy award, not legit 1C title."
Are some people really this misinformed?

Any opinion a leaf fan has you should file it straight to the bin.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers and Laine elevate his stats, they arent bringing him down. In my opinion his points do not reflect his play this season. The play should go through him, but it has not. He has big trouble carrying the puck to O-zone and winning faceoffs.

Dont get me wrong, i think he is a great player, but something has been off this season.
Scheifele went into another level last year. The league took notice. Now he gets to enjoy best on best match up.
He is doing good considering. But he needs to go into another level again to be considered top 10 player in the league. Which sometimes we forget, as he has limitations.

But i believe - he has another level.

I'm the guy who is predicting he will be a top 5 C in 1 or 2 years when (IF) he reaches his absolute peak.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele went into another level last year. The league took notice. Now he gets to enjoy best on best match up.
He is doing good considering. But he needs to go into another level again to be considered top 10 player in the league. Which sometimes we forget, as he has limitations.

But i believe - he has another level.

I'm the guy who is predicting he will be a top 5 C in 1 or 2 years when (IF) he reaches his absolute peak.

Mark is still learning, now he's learning what it takes to be the number one guy. It's tough, when you watch Mark away from the puck, everyone on the other team is aware of where he is. The second he touches the puck someone is closing in on him and once the puck is off his stick, pass or shoot, an opposing player hacks him, gives him a shot in the arm with their stick or finishes their check. He's getting a rough ride and still doing very well. I think he has another gear, he's just awesome! How improved he is since his first season is epic. When he's in his prime.. wow.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Not so sure Scheif will ever be a top 5 guy...he's just not naturally talented enough. Guys like McDavid, Eichel will or have already surpassed him, Crosby ain't going away and then there's Matthews, Seguin, Stamkos etc.

He can be a rock between Laine and Ehlers though and that's what the team needs him to be.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Year in year out, Mark most likely won't be a top 5C...

He has a chance for a couple of years if he goes another level.
He might not be as naturally gifted as some of the names now. But he has the drive to make up for it.

Despite some being down on him now.

He is 13th in scoring lead, only Crosby have played less games.
He is 6th amongst all center and 5th in pg avg.

I think only MCDavid is a clear better than him in 3-4 years. The rest you can make an argument.
Eichel? matthews? Seguin? From the young guns
Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom(underrated) ? Older guys

Scheifele is now being challenged, when he was challenged in Barrie. he went super Saiyan during the playoffs in his last year. Only injury derailed during the 7th game to decide who goes to the memorial cup.

Also the X factor going for Scheifele is, he has two top 10 winger, one can be top 1-2 winger in a few years, to help him reach the over drive..

They will get the best of the best. They will lose battles during game play. But if he finds that other level.

:)

Last edited:

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Scheifele don't have soft hands, and he is not good playmaker. Maybe if he could develop his puck handling it would make playmaking also easier. To become elite center he needs better face-off skills also. It may sound strange but sometimes he works too much for number one center, its hard to play against top players of the world if you try to work super hard all the time. I believe if he gets more smarts his worst games get better because he has more fuel in tank.

He really has a lot to give, combination of size and skill and his shot is underrated because he plays with Laine. Jets may have ultimate top five with Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey & Trouba that five man unit should rule the league in very near future.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele don't have soft hands, and he is not good playmaker. Maybe if he could develop his puck handling it would make playmaking also easier. To become elite center he needs better face-off skills also. It may sound strange but sometimes he works too much for number one center, its hard to play against top players of the world if you try to work super hard all the time. I believe if he gets more smarts his worst games get better because he has more fuel in tank.

He really has a lot to give, combination of size and skill and his shot is underrated because he plays with Laine. Jets may have ultimate top five with Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey & Trouba that five man unit should rule the league in very near future.

He is on a 35 goal, 75 point pace that has remained consistent with or without Laine in the line up. He is in top 3 points across the NHL since mid season last year.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

What are you talking about? :laugh: It's one of his stronger traits, and has been since his OHL days. This comment is so far off the mark, it's not even funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad