Player Discussion: Mark Scheifele Discussion Part III

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I just don't think of the all star game as a talent competition. It's not the most talented guys who go. It's a popularity contest, as the NHL perceives it. That, plus the fact I just don't care about the ASG keeps me from being offended.

Scheifs is better than Toews. Toews is more popular.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
I just don't think of the all star game as a talent competition. It's not the most talented guys who go. It's a popularity contest, as the NHL perceives it. That, plus the fact I just don't care about the ASG keeps me from being offended.

If they had to include Toews, he should have taken one of the Hawks' spots,
4 hawks is just ****

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Sure, but I'm just flabbergasted because he beat out Kane and Tarasenko in the NHL.com staff poll 40 days ago. Now he loses out to Toews.

I'm assuming that the committee doesn't think Laine's going and Scheifele will go in his place and yeah, he's in the middle of a bit of a 'slump' or whatever, but Scheifele is one of the top centres in the league over the last year and he shouldn't be taking replacement spots. When they offer him Laine's I hope he tells them to take a walk. He won't, of course, because he's dreamed of going to an All Star game since he was 6, or something.

If they had to include Toews, he should have taken one of the Hawks' spots,
4 hawks is just ****

He did. He took Panarin's. ;)

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
incredible that he wasn't invited. wasn't he leading the league in points at one point. what an oversight. it is a popularity contest and I guess laine would be a bigger draw but its still unfair

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Honestly that stat says allot about how far Scheif has come. To think he is doing it this season while labouring with a hamstring injury too.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I mean he's been putting up the points but there is something going on with his overall game:

A4FPUe5.png

I initially thought it was due to having a rookie in Laine on his line and getting hard minutes due to the Little injury but his numbers have dropped since Laine getting injured. Still playing injured?

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Ehlers and Laine elevate his stats, they arent bringing him down. In my opinion his points do not reflect his play this season. The play should go through him, but it has not. He has big trouble carrying the puck to O-zone and winning faceoffs.

Dont get me wrong, i think he is a great player, but something has been off this season.

HalfWallWheeler*

Jan 16, 2017
I mean he's been putting up the points but there is something going on with his overall game:

A4FPUe5.png

I initially thought it was due to having a rookie in Laine on his line and getting hard minutes due to the Little injury but his numbers have dropped since Laine getting injured. Still playing injured?

i mentioned this in a diff thread but few games back when players were getting dressed i saw shief putting on a knee brace on his right knee.. maybe hes playing with some knee pain and that can be a culprit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers and Laine elevate his stats, they arent bringing him down. In my opinion his points do not reflect his play this season. The play should go through him, but it has not. He has big trouble carrying the puck to O-zone and winning faceoffs.

Dont get me wrong, i think he is a great player, but something has been off this season.

Scheifele is the one playing defense on that line. He does virtually all the down low support for the defense. Both Ehlers and Laine are given very basic defensive assignments. Just be in position for an outlet pass. What is noticeable is that Scheifele is lacking the explosive first couple of steps we were use to seeing last season. I think this may be a lingering hamstring issue.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He most certainly is lacking his usual explosiveness. He's a good step slower right now which to me would indicate he's still dealing with a leg issue of some kind.

He's also been forced to deal with possesion black hole Stafford lately which can't be good for his possesion stats.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Definitely hurt, his skating didn't just fall off a cliff for no reason.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
You can easily tell Scheif and Armia are battling injury issues their skating is off especially from a dead stop.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
He most certainly is lacking his usual explosiveness. He's a good step slower right now which to me would indicate he's still dealing with a leg issue of some kind.

He's also been forced to deal with possesion black hole Stafford lately which can't be good for his possesion stats.

When he came back he said it was his hamstring.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Well whatever it is I hope he returns to his old self soon. Hard to win in this league when your #1 center is not playing like one. Maybe the Jets should consider giving him some games off to aid his recovery?

Maybe Sip needs to get on Scheifele's case again to get him going? :sarcasm:;)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
It's cause I got a #55 HC jersey, boys, I'm sorry :sarcasm:

The season I buy a Cammalleri Habs jersey - traded
The season I buy an Adrian Peterson Vikings jersey - child abuse case
The season I buy a Mark Scheifele Jets jersey - injured

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Well whatever it is I hope he returns to his old self soon. Hard to win in this league when your #1 center is not playing like one. Maybe the Jets should consider giving him some games off to aid his recovery?

Maybe Sip needs to get on Scheifele's case again to get him going? :sarcasm:;)

Someone say my name? Say my name!

Schiefs got a nagging leg injury or he's turned into a lazy son of a gun. Both can be corrected.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I've been thinking that both Scheifele and Wheeler have had some nagging injury for a while.

Hopefully the all-star break can get them healthy.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It's cause I got a #55 HC jersey, boys, I'm sorry :sarcasm:

The season I buy a Cammalleri Habs jersey - traded
The season I buy an Adrian Peterson Vikings jersey - child abuse case
The season I buy a Mark Scheifele Jets jersey - injured

This is nothing. March 5th, 2014 Jets play the Islanders http://www2.tsn.ca/story/?id=445294. This is the only regular season Jets game I have ever been to (gift because I am moving away from the peg). I buy a Scheif jersey before the game. I am watching as Scheifele goes down with a season ending mcl tear, ending both the Jets playoff hopes and the season of my favorite player. sigh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad