Player Discussion: Mark Scheifele Discussion Part III

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Great, another Jet's player to go along with Trouba and Connor that that Number1RedWingsFan52 keeps laying claim to :laugh::sarcasm:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
How good is Scheifele's contract?

I figure one of 3 different scenarios will play itself out over the 7 years of Scheifele's currant contract. These scenarios assumes he stays relatively healthy over the life of his contract.

Scenario 1: Chef is a perennial 65-75 pps player with last year being his carrier year.
At 6.125m per year Chefs contract is a very good team friendly contract for the Jets.

Scenario 2: Chef averages out to be a ppg player over the next 7 years making his currant contract one of the best contracts in the league. I think/hope this is the most likely Scenario for Chef.

Scenario 3: Chef has not hit his peak yet and has another gear that pushes him in the top 3 in point production in the league every year with a couple of 100+ seasons. If this happens Chef's contract is by far the best in the league bar none! Maybe a couple of SC rings to add to his trophy case.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
How good is Scheifele's contract?

I figure one of 3 different scenarios will play itself out over the 7 years of Scheifele's currant contract. These scenarios assumes he stays relatively healthy over the life of his contract.

Scenario 1: Chef is a perennial 65-75 pps player with last year being his carrier year.
At 6.125m per year Chefs contract is a very good team friendly contract for the Jets.

Scenario 2: Chef averages out to be a ppg player over the next 7 years making his currant contract one of the best contracts in the league. I think/hope this is the most likely Scenario for Chef.

Scenario 3: Chef has not hit his peak yet and has another gear that pushes him in the top 3 in point production in the league every year with a couple of 100+ seasons. If this happens Chef's contract is by far the best in the league bar none! Maybe a couple of SC rings to add to his trophy case.

The timing of this contract worked out so perfectly for the Jets. During the final year of his ELC he was just beginning to show his true potential but the sample size of his higher level play was limited to the last two months of the season so it put the Jets in a great position to get good value on the contract. Of course it all hinged on Scheifele maintaining the level of play he had demonstrated during the end of 2016 and he has done that. It is a great contract but if we were doing the deal this off season the AAV would be $2m or more higher.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The timing of this contract worked out so perfectly for the Jets. During the final year of his ELC he was just beginning to show his true potential but the sample size of his higher level play was limited to the last two months of the season so it put the Jets in a great position to get good value on the contract. Of course it all hinged on Scheifele maintaining the level of play he had demonstrated during the end of 2016 and he has done that. It is a great contract but if we were doing the deal this off season the AAV would be $2m or more higher.

Totally agree with the timing of his contract but Scheifele signed a few days after he was eligible to sign which tells me he was highly motivated to sign long term with the Jets. If he waited a year I agree he would of got 8m+ this year. No matter what scenario plays out over his contract it is now one of the best in the NHL.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Contract for Contract I would not trade Schief for any player in the NHL besides Crosby. A trade partner can't come close to providing that value.

8.7 for Crosby is insane.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
What you have to factor in on the Scheifele contract is that it included 4 RFA years and 4 UFA years
Compare that to Trouba who was on the same cycle. By going the route he did (2rs for a total of $6) he will have to do a minimum of $43 over the next 6 ($7.17 per year plus time value of money) to catch up. Plus he was (and still is) taking a huge risk of injury and losing it all.
Both the Jets and Scheifele appear to have won on his contract. We may have to wait another year to see whether the same can be said for the route Trouba took.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Great, another Jet's player to go along with Trouba and Connor that that Number1RedWingsFan52 keeps laying claim to :laugh::sarcasm:

That's hilarious; had I been drinking something at the time of reading this it may have come out my nose.

Too bad you can't tag someone in a post as I think he would get a chuckle out of this. :D

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Contract for Contract I would not trade Schief for any player in the NHL besides Crosby. A trade partner can't come close to providing that value.

8.7 for Crosby is insane.

I suspect many people will be saying that about the Schief contract in a couple of years.

Very team friendly already, maybe he is one of the few people on the planet that think 6 mil is pretty good money.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It's weird watching compilations of his goals from last year and the year before. Two years ago he seemed to get most of his goals just ripping it home but last season he barely did that at all despite scoring more goals. He relied a lot heavier on garbage goals and being set up last season. Just an observation.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
It's weird watching compilations of his goals from last year and the year before. Two years ago he seemed to get most of his goals just ripping it home but last season he barely did that at all despite scoring more goals. He relied a lot heavier on garbage goals and being set up last season. Just an observation.

I think there's a lesson there for Laine too. Go to the net more.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yup. Teams scout and notice trends that they will game plan against sonyou need to find different ways to score.

It's how AA and Larkin both had mixed and middling success. You need to be a dynamic player in the NHL to have success. Being a one trick pony isn't good enough.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Garbage goals just might be the worst phrase in hockey. Going to the net and scoring by beating players to rebounds, reading where the puck will go, deflecting pucks or being able to create and react in a sliver of space is what good goal scorers do.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Garbage goals just might be the worst phrase in hockey. Going to the net and scoring by beating players to rebounds, reading where the puck will go, deflecting pucks or being able to create and react in a sliver of space is what good goal scorers do.

if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love the kid, but I can't help but feel his numbers are going to regress a "bit" this year. 70+ points this year, which is still great.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Love the kid, but I can't help but feel his numbers are going to regress a "bit" this year. 70+ points this year, which is still great.

That may very well happen, he has spoiled us over the last 4 years with his points production climbing by 15 - 20% a year. Those gains have to end sometime but I hope its not for another season or two. That said I will not be disappointed if he puts up 70+ points next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad