Marc Bergevin - Kickstart My Heart Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Meh...I guess, I don't know if he's 2.5M for the next 2yrs vs 840K better than Benn.

But sure.

Either way, splitting hairs over who is less bad is not something I personally care for.
I swear I can put a like on every single one of your posts lol

At one point I have to stop lol

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The fact that we protected Benn is a joke. The fact that we gave Beau away is even worse. We have a horrific D right now. Letting go of Markov was a disastrous move and I'm not sure wtf our GM was thinking.

Totally agree about Beaulieu. Our GM screwed up on this one for sure. I bet you he doesn't make this choice again if he had to do it over again. As for Markov, I am unsure. All depends on what he was asking for in that 1 year deal. Rumors was $6M for 2 years and then he said he would of taken a 1 year deal. If he was asking for something like $7m, then I would of passed myself.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No, I didn't miss it. Protecting Benn over Beaulieu was a bad move. Come on man!
They still would've taken Emelin, it wouldn't have mattered. They, LVK, had a chance to trade for Beaulieu after and they didn't. Had we kept Beaulieu, we'd still be 1-6-1, except it would cost 2.5m$ for the next 3yrs......no thanks

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Beaulieu is better than Benn. We should of protected Beaulieu and took our chances with Emelin and Benn. At least we would of retained 2 of the 3. However, I agree it's doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but I think Bergevin was in error not protecting Beaulieu. He is incontinent but look at Gardner with the Leafs? It took him a while but he has become a good defenseman for the Leafs at age 27. Beaulieu is still only 24 and has room to grow yet.
I don't think the Habs were interested in giving a raise to Beaulieu to play on their 3rd pair.

You cite Gardiner as one example...that's fine, I could other examples of guys who didn't eventually "get it"

Gardiner is Gardiner...he's not Beaulieu.

Once more, I'll agree Beaulieu is better than Benn...but he's not THAT much better.

Not for a 3rd pairing Dman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They still would've taken Emelin, it wouldn't have mattered. They, LVK, had a chance to trade for Beaulieu after and they didn't. Had we kept Beaulieu, we'd still be 1-6-1, except it would cost 2.5m$ for the next 3yrs......no thanks

Our LD depth would be better than it is now. Sorry, I like the raw skills Beaulieu has and we don't know if he will put it all together or not yet. I realize he has inconsistency issues but he is a big body that can skate. We gave up on him to early IMO. Heck, maybe we don't even need to sign Alzner in this case if we have both Emelin and Beaulieu too. I don't mind the Alzner signing but I like Emelin/Beaulieu vs Alzner

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think the Habs were interested in giving a raise to Beaulieu to play on their 3rd pair.

You cite Gardiner as one example...that's fine, I could other examples of guys who didn't eventually "get it"

Gardiner is Gardiner...he's not Beaulieu.

Once more, I'll agree Beaulieu is better than Benn...but he's not THAT much better.

Not for a 3rd pairing Dman

Beaulieu is still only 24. That is a very young NHL defenseman. You don't give up on guys that early IMO. A 2 year deal at $2.5M would of not hurt this team. 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing.

I didn't like protecting Benn over Beaulieu back when it happened and now that Benn has digressed, I hate it now! Some people say Sergachev was Markov's replacement but Beaulieu was Markov's replacement. Not the same talent but he looks better on our roster vs Benn I tell you!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Beaulieu is still only 24. That is a very young NHL defenseman. You don't give up on guys that early IMO. A 2 year deal at $2.5M would of not hurt this team. 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing.
I don't think they gave up on him...

Squeezed out about as much as they could from him.

Hey, if he ends up turning into a Jake Gardiner in Buffalo...let me know.

Until then...his age ain't nothin' but a number

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Our LD depth would be better than it is now. Sorry, I like the raw skills Beaulieu has and we don't know if he will put it all together or not yet. I realize he has inconsistency issues but he is a big body that can skate. We gave up on him to early IMO. Heck, maybe we don't even need to sign Alzner in this case if we have both Emelin and Beaulieu too. I don't mind the Alzner signing but I like Emelin/Beaulieu vs Alzner
If Beaulieu ends up puting it all together, I'll eat crow, I just believe that day will never happen......I see a Ron Hainsey future ahead of him, a mehhhh career

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think they gave up on him...

Squeezed out about as much as they could from him.

Hey, if he ends up turning into a Jake Gardiner in Buffalo...let me know.

Until then...his age ain't nothin' but a number
If Beaulieu ends up puting it all together, I'll eat crow, I just believe that day will ever happen......I see a Ron Hainsey future ahead of him

Beaulieu (bottom paring) >> Benn (bottom paring). Not even close guys.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I didn't like protecting Benn over Beaulieu back when it happened and now that Benn has digressed, I hate it now! Some people say Sergachev was Markov's replacement but Beaulieu was Markov's replacement. Not the same talent but he looks better on our roster vs Benn I tell you!

Beaulieu has also regressed from what I've seen......at least Benn has the excuse of never being drafted and gets paid peanuts......Beaulieu, not so much

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
You sure about that in this case?

Sure about what? DLC's credibility? Yeah. I've yet to see a DLC originated story turn out to be true.

They reported two seasons ago that Plekanec was about to be traded and that he sold his house and was looking at houses in another city. That didn't happen.

They reported that there was some big scandalous news about Price that was going to come out that Price was trying to cover up legally. That never came up and no other source corroborated that story.

They reported that some scandalous news about MB was going to come out the other week. That didn't happen.

Now they're reporting that Galchenyuk went to rehab over the summer? The guy was out of country with his family for the large majority of the off-season. I don't buy that he was in "rehab". I think that's 100% bullshit.

I'm I positive that it didn't happen? No, but if it's a DLC original rumour then it's safe to say based on their track record that it's more tabloid shit.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure about what? DLC's credibility? Yeah. I've yet to see a DLC originated story turn out to be true.

They reported two seasons ago that Plekanec was about to be traded and that he sold his house and was looking at houses in another city. That didn't happen.

They reported that there was some big scandalous news about Price that was going to come out that Price was trying to cover up legally. That never came up and no other source corroborated that story.

They reported that some scandalous news about MB was going to come out the other week. That didn't happen.

Now they're reporting that Galchenyuk went to rehab over the summer? The guy was out of country with his family for the large majority of the off-season. I don't buy that he was in "rehab". I think that's 100% bull****.

I'm I positive that it didn't happen? No, but if it's a DLC original rumour then it's safe to say based on their track record that it's more tabloid ****.
I don't want to get into players personal lives...so I won't touch this.

But I will say is that the NHL has as much of a substance abuse problem as other professional sports where players get arrested or suspended A LOT more often.

NHL has a squeaky clean image...one day it will get exposed.

I'm positive of that

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I've reached my limit when

Bottom pairing >>>> Bottom pairing
Beaulieu has a whole 2pts while Benn has 1....lol....clearly Beaulieu is the much more productive player.

Beaulieu has also played over :30mins more of hockey in more favourable situations.......like you said though, we're splitting hairs in quarters, I'd just rather pay 1.1 on the cap then 2.5 all while holding onto a 3rd round pick

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did you miss the end of last season? Benn outplayed Beaulieu and it was not even close. He doesn't look good right now but he was better than Beaulieu last season.

Short sample size much? Benn played 13 games with the Habs, how is that indicative of outplaying Beaulieu who logged in 74 games as a Hab last year?

That's right, you didn't allow Benn enough games to expose the journeyman/7th D that he really is.

Reactions: DAChampion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Benn was protected over Emelin, Beaulieu was gone the day he was scratched in the most important game of our season.

Based on that, Galchenyuk demoted on the 4th line in the playoffs last year means he's hot garbage. A player's usage must always establish what the player is worth. Nice to know.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I don't want to get into players personal lives...so I won't touch this.

But I will say is that the NHL has as much of a substance abuse problem as other professional sports where players get arrested or suspended A LOT more often.

NHL has a squeaky clean image...one day it will get exposed.

I'm positive of that

Fair enough. My post was moreso about DLC as a credible source rather than Chucky and substance abuse. I don't believe DLC on anything, regardless of the subject.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fair enough. My post was moreso about DLC as a credible source rather than Chucky and substance abuse. I don't believe DLC on anything, regardless of the subject.
Neither do I...and even if he's legit, I got no respect for someone who profits from exposing people's problems like that

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Part of Friedman's 31 Thoughts released today:

Capture.PNG

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bergevin has to maintain a human relationship with these guys, so it's plausible that he doesn't want to piss them off, for example by calling Chiarelli and offering a 7th round draft pick for McDavid.

The issue here is that he overrated Weber. I think Bergevin thought that he hit the jackpot by trading Subban for Weber, and was caught off guard that it wasn't more celebrated.

Bergevin fired his statistician for arguing against the trade. He may have thought that the guy was a moron for preferring Subban to Weber.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting thoughts by Larry Brooks in his latest column.

Rangers are struggling just like the Habs and are looking for solutions.

His thoughts on the state of the market and Alex Galchenyuk:

If the Rangers believed that Alex Galchenyuk would be a slam-dunk second-line center, they would have to consider a deal with even more troubled Montreal in which Chris Kreider or Mats Zuccarello would be the exchange rate. But there is no evidence the Blueshirts covet the 23-year-old who’s playing on the wing and carries a cap hit of $4.9 million through 2019-20.

The center stage that Gorton surveyed over the summer has not appreciably changed. Teams are holding onto top sixers just as they are hoarding top-four defensemen.

What top 4D and top six forward could Bergevin possibly have signed this past summer? Can't think of anyone right now.

Now, when Galchenyuk regains his form from two years ago, some more interesting offers are going to come in. It's not going to happen while he remains a 4th liner.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Dreger also spoke on TSN690 this morning. He mentioned that the Penguins inquired about Galchenyuk for their 3C spot. He was wondering what it tells people if the back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions believe that Galchenyuk is good enough to be a center, when Montreal is convinced he isn't. Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad