Marc Bergevin - Kickstart My Heart Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
lol. It is better. Facts prove it just based on NHL players generated alone. All I'm doing is presenting you facts but you don't like it because it goes against your narrative of wanting to fire our GM. I understand

From 2012 - 2017 our 1st/2nd round pick draft/development under Bergevin is mediocre at best compared to rest of the NHL. They even had two top 10 picks. All they have to show for it is Galchenyuk and Lehkonen. Under Gainey from 2003 - 2009, there was FAR more success with same amount of top 10 picks (Kostitsyn/Price).

hockeyguru19

Jun 6, 2017
Julien why the bloody hell are you playing Alzner and Benn together,and Bergevin why are you not making a trade or calling up Jerabek,you DO NOT play 2 slow guys together.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Price: Great goalie but we all know that building your team around a goaltender = what we have today.

Subban: He was our best asset for sure. Not even close

Patch: Great top 5 NHL scorer. Plays a soft game but he is an asset

Older parts of the Core: Markov and Pleky.

Centers: Who???

Prospects:
Galchenyuk? Who else? Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc. We had a terrible prospect pool because most of our hope was with picks taken in later rounds.

Yeah, we had a great core eh. I repeat, expecting any GM to turn this into a cup contender in 6 years through free agency and trades was not reasonable IMO.

Not going to disagree with most of your assessment, but here's a way to look at this. We can debate if he inherited a great core or not. The point is the core he inherited, he re-signed and kept (or let go... dress this however you want). It's been his FA signings since, trades and drafts. We can argue the team on the ice today is HIS vision, his team.

A cup contender in 6 years may have not been reasonable (though I think it was obtainable), but i don't think it is unreasonable to expect a competitive team? I mean, even if he inherited absolute crap, in 6-years, we should be trending upwards by now.

Sure, we can still turn this around, but man, it is gonna be rough trying to win ~46 of our remaining games.

Reactions: ArsHabs

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Phew! Rebuild is on! ;)

Yet another piece of the master plan coming to fruition...

tumblr_onhikzP9q91tpip5go1_250.gif

In all seriousness, I'm actually happy not to lose the 2nd on this deal and it's one of Bergevin's better deals.

Reactions: sandviper

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
"Build through the draft"? Six years later there's only one defenceman on the team that the Habs drafted.

Yet there are 8 of the 12 at the forward position tonight were drafted by Habs with a 9th scratched in DLR. And their goalie is also their draft.

Reactions: 417

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
"Build through the draft"? Six years later there's only one defenceman on the team that the Habs drafted.

I don't think you understand how the draft works...

Defencemen take even longer to develop.

They drafted only 1 D in 2012 and 2013.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That's a big fail mind you I think we could've penciled in Sergachev and Juulsen to the success list, plus Mete so it's okay, but obviously not good enough.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
By a different regime.

Gallagher, Plekanec, and Pacioretty are the only ones not drafted by this regime.

Galchenyuk, Hudon, McCarron, DLR, Scherbak, and Lehkonen were by this regime.

So more of them are from this regime.

And how many impact players?

That is a whole other conversation. But most of these picks are too young and it's too early to see if they are impact players.

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
Gallagher, Plekanec, and Pacioretty are the only ones not drafted by this regime.

Galchenyuk, Hudon, McCarron, DLR, Scherbak, and Lehkonen were by this regime.

So more of them are from this regime.

And how many impact players?

That is a whole other conversation. But most of these picks are too young and it's too early to see if they are impact players.[/QUOTE]

Mccarron/drl are not looking good.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't think you understand how the draft works...

Defencemen take even longer to develop.

They drafted only 1 D in 2012 and 2013.

Bob Gainey's draft history 2003 - 2009

Ryan O'Byrne (2003) in NHL 2007 = 4 years
Mark Streit (2004) in NHL 2005 = 1 year
Alexei Emelin (2004) in NHL 2011 = 7 years
Yannick Weber (2007) in NHL 2010 = 3 years
PK Subban (2007) in NHL 2010 = 3 years
Ryan McDonagh (2007) in NHL 2010 = 3 years

Average: 3.5 years to NHL

Perhaps the draft/development under Bergevin is just not that good.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
And that is insane considering the talent we drafted over the years.

Subban
McDonnaugh
Sergachev
Markov
Beaulieu
Emelin

And NONE of them are here now.

Well, here's another funny way of "building through the draft". here are the folks who have started for us this year:

Weber - Trade via a player we drafted AND developed.
Alzner - Free agent.
Petry - Trade for picks.
Benn - Trade for pick and Pateryn, who we drafted though I guess we can argue did not fully develop.
Davidson - Trade by giving Edmonton our #1C :P
Morrow - Free agent.
Schlemko - Trade for pick.
Mete - Drafted by us and now on the roster (we'll see if he is here end of the week).

So, if "building through the draft" means getting rid of picks for players or trading the ones we did, then I guess MB did as he said he would.

Reactions: ArsHabs

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
And that is insane considering the talent we drafted over the years.

Subban
McDonnaugh
Sergachev
Markov
Beaulieu
Emelin

And NONE of them are here now.

It should make fans sad, but we don't understand how the draft works. ;-)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well, here's another funny way of "building through the draft". here are the folks who have started for us this year:

Weber - Trade via a player we drafted AND developed.
Alzner - Free agent.
Petry - Trade for picks.
Benn - Trade for pick and Pateryn, who we drafted though I guess we can argue did not fully develop.
Davidson - Trade by giving Edmonton our #1C :P
Morrow - Free agent.
Schlemko - Trade for pick.
Mete - Drafted by us and now on the roster (we'll see if he is here end of the week).

So, if "building through the draft" means getting rid of picks for players or trading the ones we did, then I guess MB did as he said he would.

Small nitpick, Pateryn was drafted by Toronto, Montreal got him the Grabovski trade.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think so but that's just my opinion, I just was fed up with him.
Nathan Beaulieu had trouble holding down a 3rd pairing spot last year.

He's just not a very good dman...he's lucky he can skate, otherwise he wouldn't be in the NHL.

Not to mention he's a total goof

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Nathan Beaulieu had trouble holding down a 3rd pairing spot last year.
He was an actual train wreck on skates......I've seen quite a few Sabre highlights and it looks like he picked up there right where he left off here. What makes this so tragic is that he was a mid round 1st rounder that could skate and would bring offence.....he brought the skating.....(tumbleweed through the nuclear village in the Nevada desert).....cue the Good, the Bad and the Ugly sound effect

Wahahahahahahaha.....wa...wa.....waaaaaa lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad