Marc Bergevin - Kickstart My Heart Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Dreger also spoke on TSN690 this morning. He mentioned that the Penguins inquired about Galchenyuk for their 3C spot. He was wondering what it tells people if the back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions believe that Galchenyuk is good enough to be a center, when Montreal is convinced he isn't. Food for thought.

They want him as their 3rd line center though. So don't expect them to offer a lot. For the right price he's worth the try. Could be an homerun. At worst you did not give much for him.

AG for Hagelin. Something like that.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Interesting thoughts by Larry Brooks in his latest column.

Rangers are struggling just like the Habs and are looking for solutions.

His thoughts on the state of the market and Alex Galchenyuk:

What top 4D and top six forward could Bergevin possibly have signed this past summer? Can't think of anyone right now.

Now, when Galchenyuk regains his form from two years ago, some more interesting offers are going to come in. It's not going to happen while he remains a 4th liner.

This demonstrates perfectly why Bergevin is a poseur. He has a talented player he can't stand and would trade in a second, yet continually diminishes his value both for the Habs as a player, but also as an asset for any team that might be interested in dealing for him. Absolutely incompetent management there. Cringe worthy.

I'll say it first, but god help me, Bergevin is a worse GM than Therrien is a coach.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder if Galchenyuk's even worth a 1st round draft pick now.

Bergevin has really tanked his value.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They want him as their 3rd line center though. So don't expect them to offer a lot. For the right price he's worth the try. Could be an homerun. At worst you did not give much for him.

Of course it's worth a shot for the Pens. And surely they weren't offering much if he's not a Penguin today. But it still makes you think if the champions think he's good enough for their center spot when here in Montreal, he's not even good enough to be their 4C.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Dreger also spoke on TSN690 this morning. He mentioned that the Penguins inquired about Galchenyuk for their 3C spot. He was wondering what it tells people if the back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions believe that Galchenyuk is good enough to be a center, when Montreal is convinced he isn't. Food for thought.

To a large degree it must also represent what the Penguins think of Bergevin.

Reactions: Peanut

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I would have loved to see him end up there, a perfect place for the style of game he can play.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yet another piece of the master plan coming to fruition...

tumblr_onhikzP9q91tpip5go1_250.gif

In all seriousness, I'm actually happy not to lose the 2nd on this deal and it's one of Bergevin's better deals.

This deal is in it's infancy. So far it can't judged.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I would love too. I would support any trade making him move to the Pens no matter how bad it would be for us.
This may have been poorly-worded. I'm sure you don't wish another team to profit at the expense of the team you cheer for.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This may have been poorly-worded. I'm sure you don't wish another team to profit at the expense of the team you cheer for.

I think it is worded correctly, we all love the habs but it is our disdain for Bergevin that makes us feel this way, no of us want to, habs fan here since the mid 70s.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Usually no. But i do not cheer for MB's team anymore so that's not a problem until he is fired.

Habs fan since 1984. This team is not my team.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Cheering against Bergevin is fine. Cheering for a strategic tank in February is logical. Cheering against the Habs on the Habs board in October ain't cool.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Cheering against Bergevin is fine. Cheering for a strategic tank in February is logical. Cheering against the Habs on the Habs board in October ain't cool.
It is when you already need to play 600 hockey plus have a 6 game win streak just to make the playoffs. If arizona wins tonight, and they are leading, and we lose in regular time, we are dead last in the league. I am not cheering for the habs to struggle the rest of the year to finish 17overall. Only a masochist would do that.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

If I was cheering against the Habs then I'd precisely want them to remain where they've been in the last couple years.

Reactions: DAChampion

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm not gonna sit here and cry after a 6th round pick and 2 4th's to be honest... With hindsight King was clearly useless but the problem is once again the internal depth.

Mitchell, Flynn,King, Ott and all those other depth players he went after is the result of poor drafting before he even got here.

We're only starting to have some internal depth with McCarron, DLR, Carr and so on...

your two comments contradict each other...

it's precisely the lack of proper management of assets, including "smaller" ones, that over time erodes an organizations depth of talent.

either you manage your assets towards talent/depth growth, or you work the other way. MB has been working in the wrong direction for most of his tenure, all we are seeing now is the inevitable collapse of a foundation that's been eroding for years, accelerated by a few terrible moves/decisions with key talent assets. Poor Bergie, he's been messing up at both ends of the spectrum...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Your average is useless because Streit was drafted when he was 26 years old...

O'Byrne became regular after 6 seasons not 4.

And again, I told you the only D they drafted in 2012 and 2013 is Thrower and his career was scraped by injuries.

The next D that was drafted by this regime is Lernout and he's progressing decently.

And then you have Juulsen who was drafted in 2015, even with your biased average he's supposed to make the team in 19/20.

Oh now being a regular matters? Guess no more Hudon, DLR, Andrighetto, McCarron, etc etc that keep being brought up as successful development cases.

Reactions: DAChampion

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What's key in a team is the transition game . Let's trade Subban and Sergachev. As much as I Liked the Drouin deal....not surround him better made that deal a bad one.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm not gonna sit here and cry after a 6th round pick and 2 4th's to be honest... With hindsight King was clearly useless but the problem is once again the internal depth.

Mitchell, Flynn,King, Ott and all those other depth players he went after is the result of poor drafting before he even got here.

We're only starting to have some internal depth with McCarron, DLR, Carr and so on...

Yet on the other hand he had depth players like Ryan White. He let White go and replaced him with Mitchell. Mitchell has 37 points in 166 games for us, White has 44 points in 172 games since leaving us.

So we spent a prospect and pick and got worse results.

Yanick Weber was a good enough depth player for a SC Finalist, but Bergevin decided he'd rather have Bouillon.

The depth issues were exacerbated by Bergevin's incompetence. And that completely ignores the development issues that only occured once he was in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad