Player Discussion The Underrated Brock Boeser

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Not the biggest Boeser fan. Slow, not great in the defensive zone, and not aggressive. The exact type of player to put up fancy regular season stats and then get disappeared in the playoffs. Hope I am wrong. Liked his goal last night and like that he will be the front of net guy.
This is basically the exact opposite of what is playing out. Boeser has noticeably elevated his compete/intensity. Pettersson not so much, although he was quite good in the first period of game 2 until he missed the open net and proceeded to shit his pants for the rest of the game.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
No I do not think he has been that great. If this is his elevated compete/intensity then I don't think he will be a made for playoff player. Much kudos for the goal yesterday as I said I am glad that he embraces the front of net position.

I hope I am wrong and if he proves me wrong will be happy to admit it.

:)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Last night was easily Boesers best game in the playoffs. I haven't been too high on his play these playoffs but last night Boes was all over the ice scoring a goal and making some big defensive plays. Hopefully he keeps it up, he was outstanding in game 3.

Reactions: bh53 and sting101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not the biggest Boeser fan. Slow, not great in the defensive zone, and not aggressive. The exact type of player to put up fancy regular season stats and then get disappeared in the playoffs. Hope I am wrong. Liked his goal last night and like that he will be the front of net guy.

No I do not think he has been that great. If this is his elevated compete/intensity then I don't think he will be a made for playoff player. Much kudos for the goal yesterday as I said I am glad that he embraces the front of net position.

I hope I am wrong and if he proves me wrong will be happy to admit it.

:)
This simply does not reflect what is happening on the ice.

You know Boeser has been great when @MS is absent from this thread.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This is a really bad take.

Boeser has been our best forward these playoffs.
Really? I honestly haven't noticed him until last night. He was fantastic in game 3.

Game 1 - Joshua was the teams best forward scoring 2 goals and adding a assist in a dominant effort.

Game 2 - hard to pick but I thought Miller played decent although you could tell he was frustrated. I thought he was generating the most plays and chances for the Canucks who were shooting into shin pads.

Game 3 - Boeser was the best forward. Scored a goal and made a few big plays defensively to keep the Preds off of the score sheet.

Imo I thought Gane 3 was Boes breakout in the playoffs and he wasn't really noticeable until then. I am not criticizing the guy nor singling him out because I didn't really think any of our star players had played well until game 3 of the playoffs.

Reactions: lousy

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's incredibly odd to me that Boeser still has detractors at this point

maybe as the playoffs carry on he will regress and game 2 wasn't that great but it's pretty plain to see that him and Miller are carrying the load up front and he's been a vastly improved player in compete 1v1 battles puck management defensive play and net front.

The screen on Miller's goal last night was pretty much the key to that shot working and he's been doing excellent work along the walls all series. The 97mph slapper he had in game 1 on the PP showed that he's gotten back some lost velocity after the wrist and back injuries that effected his shot at distance.

He's pretty much the same player that Sam Reinhart is for Florida with acknowledgement that Sam is a slightly better version but it's not a wide gap. If we can only find another version to play along side of Pettersson we wouldn't be clamouring for the lotto line.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Really? I honestly haven't noticed him until last night. He was fantastic in game 3.

Game 1 - Joshua was the teams best forward scoring 2 goals and adding a assist in a dominant effort.

Game 2 - hard to pick but I thought Miller played decent although you could tell he was frustrated. I thought he was generating the most plays and chances for the Canucks who were shooting into shin pads.

Game 3 - Boeser was the best forward. Scored a goal and made a few big plays defensively to keep the Preds off of the score sheet.

Imo I thought Gane 3 was Boes breakout in the playoffs and he wasn't really noticeable until then. I am not criticizing the guy nor singling him out because I didn't really think any of our star players had played well until game 3 of the playoffs.
Miller has been all over the ice even if it isnt translating into points (yet).

I agree with this otherwise.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I think that was perhaps Boeser’s best game as a Canuck last night.

Strong at both ends of the ice.
He’s the reason the first goal happens and then scores the 2nd one.

I know he’s been flashier, especially in his early days when he was lost defensively, but last night was the kind of game you want to see from your skill players in the playoffs.

I wasn’t sure that Boeser had that in him until last night.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This simply does not reflect what is happening on the ice.

You know Boeser has been great when @MS is absent from this thread.

There is a hard bias here against players that produce while having marginal shot metrics. If those same players happen to produce on the PP, doubly so. It's the weirdest thing to me because it's all relative: One is the probability to create differential, the other is actually doing it.

Skill and the natural ability to convert should be held in high regard.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I see comments about how last night was Boeser's best game but I thought it was maybe his worst of the three games played so far (though still decent and definitely better compared to his regular season). I thought he had far more jump in games 1 and 2.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I see comments about how last night was Boeser's best game but I thought it was maybe his worst of the three games played so far (though still decent and definitely better compared to his regular season). I thought he had far more jump in games 1 and 2.
I'm sorry but this just demonstrates how horrible people are at assessing players. LOL boeser was outstanding.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'm sorry but this just demonstrates how horrible people are at assessing players. LOL boeser was outstanding.
Agreed. Boeser significantly outchanced the Predators in games 1 and 2 - 2nd in CF% (26-12, 23-5), FF% (19-3, 20-10), scoring chances (11-5, 11-2) in games 1 and 2 for forwards, 5th and 3rd in xG% (56.63%, 90.93%) in games 1 and 2 for forwards. In game 3, he's 5th in CF% (9-12), 3rd in FF% (9-8), 7th in scoring chances (5-5) and 6th in xG% (45.23%).

Absolutely deserves the points after good efforts in games 1 and 2 but game 3 wasn't some masterclass by him... he just stood in front of the net.

Reactions: theguardianII

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Agreed. Boeser significantly outchanced the Predators in games 1 and 2 - 2nd in CF% (26-12, 23-5), FF% (19-3, 20-10), scoring chances (11-5, 11-2) in games 1 and 2 for forwards, 5th and 3rd in xG% (56.63%, 90.93%) in games 1 and 2 for forwards. In game 3, he's 5th in CF% (9-12), 3rd in FF% (9-8), 7th in scoring chances (5-5) and 6th in xG% (45.23%).

Absolutely deserves the points after good efforts in games 1 and 2 but game 3 wasn't some masterclass by him... he just stood in front of the net.

the goal of hockey is to win the game... not win advanced metrics

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He was great this regular season too.

If he had the EXACT same season but was faster, 99% of the critics would not be critics.

the goal of hockey is to win the game... not win advanced metrics
Okidoki.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I lot of opinions;

To me, he's been this team's best winger by a significant margin. The only fully capable top6 forward.

Skill and scoring are not a given in this league. He has it, and it should be valued.
Yep, the Miller is dog doo doo, Joshua just horrible, Hoglander's a waste of air, Garland should just hide, THANK GOD FOR THE SCORING MACHINE, BOESER WHO WIN US THE CUP!!!!!!
72.5% (67% 5on5) Corsi and out scoring the opponent 3 to 1 when Boeser is on the ice?
In the real season, the playoffs? Kuzmenko out hit, out scored and was much cheaper after the trade while NOT playing with 100 point players
On a line with Miller, ya? I would expect most lines with Miller driving the play to have a high Corsi.
Yes, he doesn't play well with others, he wanted off the team, no other teams would take him so prop up his numbers and let Miller carry him
He's pretty much the same player that Sam Reinhart is for Florida with acknowledgement that Sam is a slightly better version but it's not a wide gap. If we can only find another version to play along side of Pettersson we wouldn't be clamouring for the lotto line.
Man that is such a stretch to compare one of SR end to end rushes with a deke and a goal or how SR wins a board battle and then drives the net, or ...out skates dmen.

yep Boeser out chanced the Preds, the rest of the team were window dressing.
So much of Boeser's play is sheltered.
He hardly ever does FO's in the defensive zone
Rarely ever plays without two of the best Canucks, Miller and Hughes.
I haven't seen him beat any defenceman in a foot race for a puck
Or do a power move to the net.
I see him as the first out of the dzone, get the puck and then curl and wait for the others when he does get in carrying the puck, he doesn't challenge the dmen.
For his size, one of the biggest forwards he has 0 hits by NHL stats.
7th in scoring chances but 32nd in scoring? That's good? What are Joshua's numbers then?

A little story that circulated, Tocchet was pissed at Kuzmenko because of the off season training, he didn't like it that Kuzmenko didn't go all in. And now it has come out that he was instructing players via phone calls in violation of the CBA.
After the trade Kuzmenko out scored BB without playing with 100 pt players or 70% of all PP's. Kuz also generated goals by forechecking, board battles and front net presence. BB has the worst hits per 60 min of everyone on the team except Hughes. The softest player, ideal for the easy season but not the real season.

He asked to be trade twice, got so bad he had the TEAM allow his agent to help MOVE him. He had months to think about this before he asked to be traded. His reward was to put him in Horvat's PP spot and play with the team's highest point producer, hardly ever be on the ice for a defensive face off, never be criticized for not doing what Tocchet had been preaching, board battles, getting in first and forechecking and sometimes you can see him on the bench and he hasn't broken a sweat.

Lots of folks say the last game was his best, but the entire team dumbed it down to low event hockey, was it he was good or the others were playing differently.

It would be nice to see him drive the net, or make a move in the slot and rifle a shot, or get more than one shot per game or make a hit, not a push but a hit he is listed as 6'1" and 208 lbs and little Garland, Hughes, Hronek and Hoglander all have more hits.

Some players are the result of those they play with, ice time and special teams, PP time and defensive zone starts.
When this was happening with Hodgson it was called "sheltered minutes"
If he is that good put him out there with Lindholm and Lafferty or Joshua and Garland or anyone else other than Miller and Hughes and put him on PP2 if that is needed. I am sure Joshua or Lindholm could take his place as a post standing in front of the net.

Opinions are like Aholes, we all have one, mine is he didn't want to be here, couldn't be traded because no team would take him so he was sheltered so he can be traded now. He is not a real season player BUT all teams need guys like him in the easy season to help sell tickets. When the going gets tough, he just goes away. Not a nick, bruise or mark on him.

A team cannot have fair weather players, I don't want to be here, then given prime time and suddenly, "oh, it's okay now". The team could really use his cap space and there might be a deal to work with Utah, Minny or Columbus, even if some retention is needed. But that is off season.

For now all the team can do is keep sheltering him. IMO

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I lot of opinions;

Yep, the Miller is dog doo doo, Joshua just horrible, Hoglander's a waste of air, Garland should just hide, THANK GOD FOR THE SCORING MACHINE, BOESER WHO WIN US THE CUP!!!!!!

In the real season, the playoffs? Kuzmenko out hit, out scored and was much cheaper after the trade while NOT playing with 100 point players

Yes, he doesn't play well with others, he wanted off the team, no other teams would take him so prop up his numbers and let Miller carry him

Man that is such a stretch to compare one of SR end to end rushes with a deke and a goal or how SR wins a board battle and then drives the net, or ...out skates dmen.

I see him as the first out of the dzone, get the puck and then curl and wait for the others when he does get in carrying the puck, he doesn't challenge the dmen.
7th in scoring chances but 32nd in scoring? That's good? What are Joshua's numbers then?

A little story that circulated, Tocchet was pissed at Kuzmenko because of the off season training, he didn't like it that Kuzmenko didn't go all in. And now it has come out that he was instructing players via phone calls in violation of the CBA.
After the trade Kuzmenko out scored BB without playing with 100 pt players or 70% of all PP's. Kuz also generated goals by forechecking, board battles and front net presence. BB has the worst hits per 60 min of everyone on the team except Hughes. The softest player, ideal for the easy season but not the real season.

He asked to be trade twice, got so bad he had the TEAM allow his agent to help MOVE him. He had months to think about this before he asked to be traded. His reward was to put him in Horvat's PP spot and play with the team's highest point producer, hardly ever be on the ice for a defensive face off, never be criticized for not doing what Tocchet had been preaching, board battles, getting in first and forechecking and sometimes you can see him on the bench and he hasn't broken a sweat.

Lots of folks say the last game was his best, but the entire team dumbed it down to low event hockey, was it he was good or the others were playing differently.

It would be nice to see him drive the net, or make a move in the slot and rifle a shot, or get more than one shot per game or make a hit, not a push but a hit he is listed as 6'1" and 208 lbs and little Garland, Hughes, Hronek and Hoglander all have more hits.

Some players are the result of those they play with, ice time and special teams, PP time and defensive zone starts.
If he is that good put him out there with Lindholm and Lafferty or Joshua and Garland or anyone else other than Miller and Hughes and put him on PP2 if that is needed. I am sure Joshua or Lindholm could take his place as a post standing in front of the net.

Opinions are like Aholes, we all have one, mine is he didn't want to be here, couldn't be traded because no team would take him so he was sheltered so he can be traded now. He is not a real season player BUT all teams need guys like him in the easy season to help sell tickets. When the going gets tough, he just goes away. Not a nick, bruise or mark on him.

A team cannot have fair weather players, I don't want to be here, then given prime time and suddenly, "oh, it's okay now". The team could really use his cap space and there might be a deal to work with Utah, Minny or Columbus, even if some retention is needed. But that is off season.

Dum-de-dum-dum-dum, da-de-da-da-da

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I lot of opinions;

At this point no one should take you seriously. Clown takes after Clown takes.

Reactions: bh53 and shottasasa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad