GDT: Marc Bergevin @ Guy A. Lepage TLMEP, 8pm, SRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
A lot of what MB says is reasonable in a vacuum. It’s just the constant lack of ability to get the job done that’s troubling. I agree good players I rarely traded. I agree it’s not easy to trade away core players. I agree there’s more factors than just how a team looks on paper. It all makes sense. It’s just always something though. At a certain point it’s simple. If you can’t make us a contender via trades then rebuild and build through draft with top picks. The starts quo is embarrassing.

I’m sure this team can be better than last year but how much better? Not enough. Barring JT signing and ya winning lottery we’re spinning our tires here.

You should turn off your predictive texting

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
If Price stood on his head the entire year, we're talking Hart/Vezina winner again, we maybe get the last Wild Card spot and get swept first round

Good goalie we're in the playoffs my ass

He was amongst the best goalies in the 2017 playoffs and his team couldn't buy a goal, his GMs answer was to get rid of 2 of their top offensive contributors

He was terrible last season, think that's the only accurate thing in your post

You won't have to worry about him much longer I figure though

Why not? Because they might trade him?

Are we not like 2-3 years too late?

I get it you dont trade him after a monster year like 2014 but what about 2015 when he got injured for a whole year? Wasn’t that a big red flag already?

Any way thr issue isnt the goalie’s name. The issue is that we sticker with a player for far too long, we wanted him to become someone he wasn’t made to be.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
You're on fire Blou! :thumbu:

I wish I was :laugh:

I was letting off steam before going to bed last night. My water heater decided to start leaking at 11PM, causing a wee bit of a major spill in the basement :madfire:

Once the hot water was temporarily shut down, I cleaned up the mess, washed myself with a semiwarmish hand cloth - no cold shower for me - and fired up the old 'shooping machine while my blood was still boiling :hyper:

I just finished replacing the tank. The basement looks like a special episode of 'Hoarders', but at least the shower tonight will be soooooo good :silly:

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
foxhole_tt.jpg

The guys from Spinal Tap are looking at Foxhole and going 'These lads are mocking us' :biglaugh:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Why not? Because they might trade him?

Are we not like 2-3 years too late?

I get it you dont trade him after a monster year like 2014 but what about 2015 when he got injured for a whole year? Wasn’t that a big red flag already?

Any way thr issue isnt the goalie’s name. The issue is that we sticker with a player for far too long, we wanted him to become someone he wasn’t made to be.
Cause without Price they were/are a lottery team

MB built a team 100% around an elite goalie, if he's on and healthy they make the playoffs, if he's not we are picking Top 10

If they weren't going to surround him with a supporting cast to be a legit contender yes 100% they should've dealt him before the extension but no way MB would go for a rebuild 3 years into his 5 year plan

6 years in and he still can't figure out what direction to go so Carey is making the decision for him

MB will get to blame the rebuild on Carey and buy himself another few years, hell he's already started the smear campaign, same noise he did with PK

You don't think Carey was pissed off after signing an 8 year extension based on false promises from Bergevin and let that affect his play? I don't think there's been a Vezina winning goalie take a nose dive like Price since the days of Jim Carey 20 years ago

Luongo left Vancouver cause he didn't get to start an outdoor hockey game, Pros have their limits on getting treated like shit, ask Patrick Roy...

Price will not be a Hab next season

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Cause without Price they were/are a lottery team

MB built a team 100% around an elite goalie, if he's on and healthy they make the playoffs, if he's not we are picking Top 10

If they weren't going to surround him with a supporting cast to be a legit contender yes 100% they should've dealt him before the extension but no way MB would go for a rebuild 3 years into his 5 year plan

6 years in and he still can't figure out what direction to go so Carey is making the decision for him

MB will get to blame the rebuild on Carey and buy himself another few years, hell he's already started the smear campaign, same noise he did with PK

You don't think Carey was pissed off after signing an 8 year extension based on false promises from Bergevin and let that affect his play? I don't think there's been a Vezina winning goalie take a nose dive like Price since the days of Jim Carey 20 years ago

Luongo left Vancouver cause he didn't get to start an outdoor hockey game, Pros have their limits on getting treated like ****, ask Patrick Roy...

Price will not be a Hab next season
I really want you to be right with this. We are not winning with or without Price for a while, let's start that rebuild this summer.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
seriuosly would mb trade #1 overall pick for pl dubois if habs won draft ??

No. Literally no one trade their 1st pick once they know they have the first overall. Plus, it would take a lot more than Dubois from the Jackets for them to have anything remotely close to a competitive offer.

Strazzobosco

Dec 6, 2004
Fairfax, VA
Not a story, just my opinion, given an analysis of the situation (and I'm not saying its the only reason): A 3rd generation, reverting to the mean, owner with certain beliefs.

-The handling of the goal celebration with Price
-The carefully crafted language in the media
- "Exuberance"
-"Taming" Subban
Subban benching a shame as NHL conformity wins out
etc. etc.

Subban was captain material in his 30s (limelight absorbing type), but he was never going to be captain in Montreal, that would have meant breaking with traditions that are much older than the Habs.

They have handled the trade like absolute PR pros on this subject (focusing on the return in all their answers). Then, don't ask why Bergevin is still there...he didn't trade Subban.

I suspected opinions on pedigree played a part, who knows as the trade is baffling even today...

If Molson insisted on the trade over MB's objections it would explain a lot, particularly if Molson still meddles today in trades. I find Bergeron rather good at low key trades, and bad at heavy hitting ones. Maybe he's not the one making those player choices.

Reactions: SOLR

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Vacancies in Carolina and Minnesota all but guarantee two of the best GM candidates in the league will be gone. Making the decision to not fire Bergevin, when he's walking the green mile anyways, an even bigger **** up.
Meh, we're only interested in french gms, doubt there is a conflict.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I wish I was :laugh:

I was letting off steam before going to bed last night. My water heater decided to start leaking at 11PM, causing a wee bit of a major spill in the basement :madfire:

Once the hot water was temporarily shut down, I cleaned up the mess, washed myself with a semiwarmish hand cloth - no cold shower for me - and fired up the old 'shooping machine while my blood was still boiling :hyper:

I just finished replacing the tank. The basement looks like a special episode of 'Hoarders', but at least the shower tonight will be soooooo good :silly:

The joy of being an owner, right? You should see my Excel file with all the work I have planned... :laugh: But water spills are the second worst thing that can happen (the first one of course being MB as your new neighbor).

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
The joy of being an owner, right? You should see my Excel file with all the work I have planned... :laugh: But water spills are the second worst thing that can happen (the first one of course being MB as your new neighbor).

What? I’d love to have Bergevin as a neighbor! I would have traded my old water heater for his brand new one, AND gotten him to pay for the install :banana:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
No. Literally no one trade their 1st pick once they know they have the first overall. Plus, it would take a lot more than Dubois from the Jackets for them to have anything remotely close to a competitive offer.
I would do #1 overall for

Pld
Murray
Boone Jenner

Reactions: Tyson

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
the team is screwed, and nobody is going to fix this in one or two seasons,

i have watched every game of the boston toronto series, watching them play makes me realize just how bad we are....these 2 teams are miles ahead of us, they make us look like a AAA midget team
Not only that. Neither one of Boston or Toronto has a hope in hell of beating Tampa in the next round. The Bolts are even further ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad