GDT: Marc Bergevin @ Guy A. Lepage TLMEP, 8pm, SRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If they're not named Garth Snow, Mike Milbury, Craig Button or John Ferguson Jr I'd give them a shot just to blow up the country club at this point

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Brodeur, Brisebois or whoever, there's no guarantee they would do better... Please..

Is that the standard for replacing someone? You don’t fire someone who is underachieving without a guarantee of an upgrade? How does one know what mo es are guaranteed and what ones aren’t?

Give me examples of three recent hires where an improvement was guaranteed, and explain how.

Reactions: Peanut

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Is that the standard for replacing someone? You don’t fire someone who is underachieving without a guarantee of an upgrade? How does one know what mo es are guaranteed and what ones aren’t?

Give me examples of three recent hires where an improvement was guaranteed, and explain how.

I have no clue, I just don't get this hype about brisebois or whoever, like it's going to be the Saviour or something. It's going to be the next Bergevin...

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I have no clue, I just don't get this hype about brisebois or whoever, like it's going to be the Saviour or something. It's going to be the next Bergevin...

So you accept that no hire comes with a guarantee, and your comment could be applied to every single potential candidate?

I don’t get the point. You acknowledge that no moves are guaranteed, but specifically point it out for Brisebois.

I would think if you were trying to distinguish him you wouldn’t mention something that applies to every single candidate.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think you have no idea about the credentials of BriseBois. You know as well as anyone that improving on Bergevin is not a difficult task.

So you accept that no hire comes with a guarantee, and your comment could be applied to every single potential candidate?

I don’t get the point. You acknowledge that no moves are guaranteed, but specifically point it out for Brisebois.

I would think if you were trying to distinguish him you wouldn’t mention something that applies to every single candidate.

sell me Brisebois.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Here are some bullet-points:
1. Developed his management experience partially within the Canadiens’ own system. He has some ties to our organization.
2. Holds multiple higher education degrees, including a masters.
3. Has contract law experience.
4. Has had real and tangible success at the AHL level. Managed teams that actually have won.
5. Many years of hockey management experience.
6. Not even in his mid-40s. I mention this because he’s not just educated enough to understand analytics and advanced stats, but young enough to embrace this newer way of thinking.
7. From Montreal, so he knows the market and the history.
8. Bilingual. I suppose I should have put this at #1, but this wasn’t a ranking.
9. If hired today, he’d have far more hockey management experience than past Canadiens’ GMs at the time of their hire.

BriseBois may fail, but he is in terms of credentials far superior than most candidates, regardless of language. His credentials aren’t just “paper.” He’s applied his education.

The irony though is you generally think Bergevin is doing a great job, so if “It's going to be the next Bergevin,” wouldn’t that be like the most awesome thing ever for you?

End of the day, if nothing on the list is of value to you, I dunno what to say. I don’t know what you do in real life for work, but I am a manager and all those points mean a lot to me when I hire candidates for my work place,and running the Habs is a heck of a lot harder than what I do.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
sell me Brisebois.

Julien BriseBois (born January 24, 1977) is a Canadian ice hockey executive. He is the General Manager of the Syracuse Crunch in the American Hockey League (AHL), and the Assistant General Manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning in the National Hockey League(NHL).

Julien BriseBois
BornJanuary 24, 1977 (age 41)
Greenfield Park, Quebec, Canada
CitizenshipCanadian
OccupationAssistant General Manager
Years active2010 – present
EmployerTampa Bay Lightning
OrganizationNational Hockey League
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He reports to Lightning vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman and assists him in all aspects of player personnel decisions, analytics, player development, contract preparation and negotiation, as well as salary arbitration for the Lightning and the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League, for whom he also serves as general manager. BriseBois also manages interpretation of the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap for Tampa Bay.

As general manager of the Lightning’s top affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, BriseBois has been the architect of teams that reached the Calder Cup Finals in three of the previous six seasons, including winning the championship in 2012. With the Lightning’s emphasis on drafting and development, the Crunch play an integral role in Tampa Bay’s success. During BriseBois’ tenure overseeing the Lightning’s minor league development program, they have produced two AHL most valuable players, a defenseman of the year and have graduated numerous key players including Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Nikita Kucherov, Yanni Gourde, Brayden Point, Jake Dotchin, Vlad Namestnikov, Andrei Vasilevskiy and Alex Killorn, as well as head coach Jon Cooper.

During the 2011–2012 season, BriseBois’ Norfolk Admirals set a professional sports record with a 28-game winning streak that propelled Norfolk to the AHL’s best regular season record. The team’s regular season success continued in the playoffs as the Admirals won the organization’s first Calder Cup, the first championship by a Lightning AHL affiliate. BriseBois was instrumental in helping build the organization’s depth with signings that proved instrumental to the Lightning and the Admirals, demonstrated by nine players being recalled to Tampa Bay during the season. In 2010–2011 the Hockey News recognized BriseBois as the top hockey executive under 40 years of age in their annual “Top 40 Under 40” listing.

Prior to coming to Tampa Bay, BriseBois spent nine seasons with the Montreal Canadiensafter joining the organization on September 1, 2001 as director of legal affairs. In July 2003 he added director of hockey operations to his duties before being named vice president of hockey operations on July 24, 2006. In this capacity, BriseBois oversaw the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs. The Bulldogs went on to win the 2007 Calder Cup during the first season under BriseBois’ direction. On August 23, 2007 BriseBois was named the general manager of the Hamilton Bulldogs, making him the youngest in the AHL at the time.

As an American Hockey League general manager, BriseBois has hired two head coaches that have won the Louis A.R. Pieri Award as the AHL’s outstanding coach of the year (Guy Boucher – Hamilton Bulldogs 2009–2010; Jon Cooper – Norfolk Admirals 2011–2012). Over the first eleven seasons during which BriseBois oversaw an AHL team (Hamilton Bulldogs 2006-2007 to 2009-2010; Norfolk Admirals 2010-2011 to 2011-2012; Syracuse Crunch 2012-2013 to 2016-2017), his teams have reached the Calder Cup Finals four times with four different head coaches (Hamilton 2007 – Don Lever; Norfolk 2012 – Jon Cooper; Syracuse 2013 – Rob Zettler; Syracuse 2017 – Benoit Groulx). Also, his 2009-2010 Hamilton Bulldogs reached Game 7 of the 2010 AHL Western Conference Final under the guidance of head coach Guy Boucher.

A native of Greenfield Park, Quebec, BriseBois was employed by the Heenan Blaikie law firm before joining the Canadiens. During that time he worked in sports law, where he represented several NHL and Major League Baseball clubs in arbitration cases as well as acting as an advisor in contract negotiations. BriseBois also participated in the reform of the Constitution and By-Laws of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
BriseBois is a graduate of the University of Montreal Faculty of Law and earned a Master’s degree in business administration from the John Molson School of Business at Concordia University. He is a member of the Quebec Bar, the American Bar Association and the Sports Lawyers Association. He has been a member of the AHL’s Competition Committee, the AHL’s Player Development Committee and the AHL’s CBA Committee. In 2013, BriseBois won the John Molson School of Business “MBA Alumnus of the Year” award.[1] In 2016, BriseBois was awarded the Distinction Award by the Association des diplômés en droit de l’Université de Montréal (ADDUM).

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Here are some bullet-points:
1. Developed his management experience partially within the Canadiens’ own system. He has some ties to our organization.
2. Holds multiple higher education degrees, including a masters.
3. Has contract law experience.
4. Has had real and tangible success at the AHL level. Managed teams that actually have won.
5. Many years of hockey management experience.
6. Not even in his mid-40s. I mention this because he’s not just educated enough to understand analytics and advanced stats, but young enough to embrace this newer way of thinking.
7. From Montreal, so he knows the market and the history.
8. Bilingual. I suppose I should have put this at #1, but this wasn’t a ranking.
9. If hired today, he’d have far more hockey management experience than past Canadiens’ GMs at the time of their hire.

BriseBois may fail, but he is in terms of credentials far superior than most candidates, regardless of language.

The irony though is you generally think Bergevin is doing a great job, so if “It's going to be the next Bergevin,” wouldn’t that be like the most awesome thing ever for you?

End of the day, if nothing on the list is of value to you, I dunno what to say. I don’t know what you do in real life for work, but I am a manager and all those points mean a lot to me when I hire candidates for my work place.

This is all BS to be honest...

Do you know if he's really qualified to do the job? The answer is no...

Before the all the can't be worse stuff, he will be another Bergevin..

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
sell me Brisebois.

At no point have I advocated for Brisebois, again you are sidetracking the conversation.

Your specific criticism of him was that there is no guarantee he would do better.

You acknowledge that despite using this as a pillar of your argument, no hire comes with a guarantee.

So we have established that your objection to him is entirely non specific and applies to literally every possible candidate.

I am curious if you can provide more coherent support for your argument that actually pertains to Brisebois and not to the entire field of candidates.

It comes off as thoughtless and non-specific blind support of Bergevin, and not in any way based on your positive and negative perceptions of Brisebois.

So again, how is him not coming with a guarantee relevant to his suitability, or lack thereof, for the position of GM?

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

How specifically is his education “BS”?

Are you disputing that he has actually earned those degrees, or are you saying that there is absolutely zero chance that his education would be an asset in the job?

Again. You have repeatedly complained about the level of discourse on this site and you just wholly dismissed a well thought out post as “BS”.

Perhaps actually challenging and discussing the points raised, which were in specific response to your request, would do more than a coarse and no -specific reply.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
At no point have I advocated for Brisebois, again you are sidetracking the conversation.

Your specific criticism of him was that there is no guarantee he would do better.

You acknowledge that despite using this as a pillar of your argument, no hire comes with a guarantee.

So we have established that your objection to him is entirely non specific and applies to literally every possible candidate.

I am curious if you can provide more coherent support for your argument that actually pertains to Brisebois and not to the entire field of candidates.

It comes off as thoughtless and non-specific blind support of Bergevin, and not in any way based on your positive and negative perceptions of Brisebois.

So again, how is him not coming with a guarantee relevant to his suitability, or lack thereof, for the position of GM?
You're telling me he's going to be better, I'm not buying it!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
711ab505a85ea1cc5623e7848b49e0d8.jpg

Possibly Stephen Hawking

Fixed.

2915r8.jpg

:wg:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

You’re mistaking qualified for guarantee of success.

The better question is will he be a lock to be a great professional NHL GM? The answer is no, of course not. Nobody can predict that.

Is he qualified? Of course he is. I don’t see how you can say he isn’t. He’s not a newly graduated university student going for his first job.

Anyhow, for the purposes of the Canadiens, he IS qualified... he speaks the native language and is from Montreal. I’m not being facetious either. This is a self-imposed requirement and he has it.

I don’t get how you can say he isn’t qualified though. THAT is BS. If anything, he is overqualified for this organization. I mean, what is your requirements? They are a former player? Ok, if so, then I guess we’ll go hire Roy.

Reactions: Runner77

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How specifically is his education “BS”?

Are you disputing that he has actually earned those degrees, or are you saying that there is absolutely zero chance that his education would be an asset in the job?

Not saying the guy is dumb or something, I just don't think his education is that important...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

What a red herring. Nothing in life (except death and taxes) is "guaranteed". You could literally use that for anything. Totally meaningless.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s the pillar of his argument and it is 100% applicable to every candidate.

And this is the man who complains that discussions on here are not high level.

I'm looking for a "guarantee" that the Habs will win the Stanley Cup next season otherwise, what's the point. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->