Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Officially Sign Calle Rosen | Also Sign Andreas Borgman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Nah, I'd rather dress 6 marincin's than 1 polak

The dude had lower points this last season than the one before... HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE WHEN YOU ARE ALWAYS ON THE ICE WITH 3 SUPERSTAR ROOKIES

Don't even get me started about the icings, either. And all the times him and his buddy hunwick somehow let 3 players between them and the goalie on a consistent basis

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Take a look at the post that I had above related to Game 6.

Throw every stat toward me you want, but watch the highlights of it and note what I said about Marincin.

I saw your post and applaud the work put in, though I'm not a fan of using highlights for anything else than some shallow scouting. It doesn't really refute what I said, it's actually closer to supporting it. I mentioned his transition issues, highlighted in some of the videos. I talked about how he can do well in tough minutes, which he's done before, and then struggle heavily in sheltered minutes, which is what happened in Game 6. And the opposite side of the coin doesn't really figure into the videos at all.

I still believe Marincin can be an asset, but he has certainly shown that he's very sensitive to changing circumstances. As such I think he's actually worse as a depth piece than as a regular.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Nah, I'd rather dress 6 marincin's than 1 polak

The dude had lower points this last season than the one before... HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE WHEN YOU ARE ALWAYS ON THE ICE WITH 3 SUPERSTAR ROOKIES

Don't even get me started about the icings, either. And all the times him and his buddy hunwick somehow let 3 players between them and the goalie on a consistent basis
That seems like a very bad idea. You could have the best forward group in NHL history and a defense entirely made of Marincin and his clones would manage to lose you games constantly.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I'm on the side of getting rid of Marincin.

His style of play is the safe, get it off the boards/glass, make sure you're not on for a goal against type of style. And that was good before the heavy emphasis on possession came into affect.

This highlight pack is from game 6 vs. Washington. I'll point out all of the plays from Marincin alone, during this 6 min video:

1. 1:15-1:27 --- Marincin takes the right guy. Bozak (centreman) should have gone to the 3rd guy high that was coming down the wing.

2. 1:58-2:36 --- Blind pass up the boards, leads to a couple grade A chances in front of the net. Didn't understand where to go after giving the puck away. Almost went up to the RD from Caps.

3. 3:12-3:30 --- Turnover by JVR along boards. Marincin already above hashmarks and can't get back to cover the wide open chance in front of the net.

4. 4:38- --- Marincin throws a grenade up the middle of the ice (Boyle could of had it, but in his feet/not a great pass). Turnover comes back the other way for a goal. Not necessarily all his fault due to poor coverage, but the start of the play was due to his mistake.

5. 5:35-5:45 --- Boyle loses the draw in his own end. Zaitsev is slow to react to the shot. Marincin can't hold of his guy in front of the net, but it ends up with Johanssen tapping it in.

Again, this is 1 highlight package that we can choose from. But a lot of the mistakes on the ice are from when he was on it. 2 of the goals where he was the focal point of the issue or giving up grade A chances.

I'm not saying that this is Marincin's entire work. He's a capable NHL defenseman (as a #7), but if you can get similar or better production out of Borgman, Rosen or Dermott, why wouldn't they make the roster instead?

And you could use Marchenko as the #7 guy.

The only things I can say about this is - nice work collecting that info. and I agree that Marincin was not playing at the level needed to win those game - he is weak when his line mates are weak therefore a very bottom pairing guy though 2 games in a series vs. Washington is harsh benchmark for his whole season to be fair. I guess the balanced thing to do would be put together the same highlight package of good plays he made that led to zone exits and goals for and foiled zone entries as Nith. mentioned.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
That seems like a very bad idea. You could have the best forward group in NHL history and a defense entirely made of Marincin and his clones would manage to lose you games constantly.

Actually with Rielly and Zaitsev having beyond terrible years, having all Marincin's would likely have improved our record.

Only 1 guy I was super happy with was Gardiner. The rest was pretty much a tire fire.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Actually with Rielly and Zaitsev having beyond terrible years, having all Marincin's would likely have improved our record.

Only 1 guy I was super happy with was Gardiner. The rest was pretty much a tire fire.

giphy.gif

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Geez man, I know you have some hyperbole posts but this is up there with the worst (best?).

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I rather give Rosen or Borgman the chance. Then Polak or Maracin. Otherwise our AHL team going be stacked with dmen.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think Gardiner and Kadri are good examples of Babcock finding ways of making players succeed. Giving guys like Gardiner and Carrick offensive zone starts while giving the dirty end work to others is a smart move. However, you can't depend on the puck being in the opposing team's end forever.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
We all saw what a broken leg did to Robidas, who could really skate before. Hell, we saw what it did to Stamkos. Polak was not an NHLer on a good team to begin with.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We all saw what a broken leg did to Robidas, who could really skate before. Hell, we saw what it did to Stamkos. Polak was not an NHLer on a good team to begin with.

First off, he WAS an NHL'er on a good team last season. Secondly, he was playing very good hockey and being used a lot right before his injury. And Robidas actually had 2 broken legs and was a lot older than Polak when his last one occurred.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

If Polak wants to resign for league minimum to 1 million on a 1 year deal then I have no problem with a "comeback". He knows the system and the chance he gets his game back is worth the risk of waivers

He was solid in the playoffs and towards the end of the season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully 1 if not both of these characters pan out and can improve a very average defense group.

If they're pushing Hainsey and Carrick further down the depth charts even better, and hopefully in a few years then we could have the 1/2 defense being Swedish when Liljegren joins them.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Polak looked pretty rough for most of last season, but managed to turn things around by seasons end. Still, at his age + major injury just not interested. Would just see him at this point as another vet body blocking he opportunity for a potentially better, and younger player. Let the Swedes, Carrick or Dermott show what they can do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad