Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Officially Sign Calle Rosen | Also Sign Andreas Borgman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You forgot Carrick but our top 7 could easily be (in no particular order):

Gardiner
Rielly
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Carrick
Borgman
Rosen

Depending on how they look in camp.

I'd love to squeeze Marincin off the roster.

We carry 8 D, so Marincin will likely be there.

Marchenko is likely waiver/trade fodder

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Agreed. We need Marincin. He has value as a bottom pairing guy. Tends to take blame that he shouldn't. Becoming an effective defence man doesn't happen right away for some players - that doesn't mean it won't happen or isn't happening - it's a learning curve. As long as he's cheap I'd keep him.

I'm on the side of getting rid of Marincin.

His style of play is the safe, get it off the boards/glass, make sure you're not on for a goal against type of style. And that was good before the heavy emphasis on possession came into affect.

This highlight pack is from game 6 vs. Washington. I'll point out all of the plays from Marincin alone, during this 6 min video:

1. 1:15-1:27 --- Marincin takes the right guy. Bozak (centreman) should have gone to the 3rd guy high that was coming down the wing.

2. 1:58-2:36 --- Blind pass up the boards, leads to a couple grade A chances in front of the net. Didn't understand where to go after giving the puck away. Almost went up to the RD from Caps.

3. 3:12-3:30 --- Turnover by JVR along boards. Marincin already above hashmarks and can't get back to cover the wide open chance in front of the net.

4. 4:38- --- Marincin throws a grenade up the middle of the ice (Boyle could of had it, but in his feet/not a great pass). Turnover comes back the other way for a goal. Not necessarily all his fault due to poor coverage, but the start of the play was due to his mistake.

5. 5:35-5:45 --- Boyle loses the draw in his own end. Zaitsev is slow to react to the shot. Marincin can't hold of his guy in front of the net, but it ends up with Johanssen tapping it in.

Again, this is 1 highlight package that we can choose from. But a lot of the mistakes on the ice are from when he was on it. 2 of the goals where he was the focal point of the issue or giving up grade A chances.

I'm not saying that this is Marincin's entire work. He's a capable NHL defenseman (as a #7), but if you can get similar or better production out of Borgman, Rosen or Dermott, why wouldn't they make the roster instead?

And you could use Marchenko as the #7 guy.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
We carry 8 D, so Marincin will likely be there.

Marchenko is likely waiver/trade fodder

i think we will carry 2 extra forwards and 1 extra defenseman this season given that leivo and rychel both need waivers i think. if someone scoops up marchenko or marincin off waivers i dont think it is a big loss.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
i think we will carry 2 extra forwards and 1 extra defenseman this season given that leivo and rychel both need waivers i think. if someone scoops up marchenko or marincin off waivers i dont think it is a big loss.

Even if we carry 2 extra forwards (14 total), Rychel won't be one of them.

1. Matthews
2. Nylander
3. Marner
4. Kadri
5. JVR
6. Marleau
7. Bozak
8. Brown
9. Komarov
10. Hyman
11. Kapanen
12. Moore
13. Martin
14. Leivo

And then there's Soshnikov.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Babcock scouting them personally, and likely gave the green light.

I think the fact they weren't at the development camp says a lot.

Myth that Babcock scouted them and gave his OK, they never played at the WHC for Sweden.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

1. Matthews
2. Nylander
3. Marner
4. Kadri
5. JVR
6. Marleau
7. Bozak
8. Brown
9. Komarov
10. Hyman
11. Kapanen
12. Moore
13. Martin
14. Leivo

Damn. We loaded.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
These 2 signings are best of off-season. Could see jump to NHL. Thinking Rosen ahead of borgman.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

1. Matthews
2. Nylander
3. Marner
4. Kadri
5. JVR
6. Marleau

7. Bozak
8. Brown
9. Komarov
10. Hyman
11. Kapanen
12. Moore
13. Martin
14. Leivo

I really hope Kapanen can get a chance in the top 9. I bet he would crack 40 points and raise his stock and value for our team.

I love our top 6.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
One of these guys has..HAS to be better than Marincin. I have always gave Marincin a passing grade because we were rebuilding, but he almost single handedly lost that series for us. It's time to upgrade and I like what these two Swedes bring.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
One of these guys has..HAS to be better than Marincin. I have always gave Marincin a passing grade because we were rebuilding, but he almost single handedly lost that series for us. It's time to upgrade and I like what these two Swedes bring.

That's a bit exaggerated.

Marincin is interesting, because he's awful at puck movement but is extremely good at defending against zone entries. I'd guess that would be the reason why he can do fine on a heavy lifting top pairing, only to struggle immensely on a sheltered bottom pairing the next game. How good he does could be primarily determined by how much help his linemates can give him with the zone exits, and how much the opposing players try to carry in.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Marincin is interesting, because he's awful at puck movement but is extremely good at defending against zone entries. I'd guess that would be the reason why he can do fine on a heavy lifting top pairing, only to struggle immensely on a sheltered bottom pairing the next game. How good he does could be primarily determined by how much help his linemates can give him with the zone exits, and how much the opposing players try to carry in.

Take a look at the post that I had above related to Game 6.

Throw every stat toward me you want, but watch the highlights of it and note what I said about Marincin.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I don't thin Marincin is a bad player. I've seen him play a stretch of games at a pretty high level so he has it in him. Needs to display consistency though and I think a healthy year will do him good.

I think he has the potential to become a very solid 5th D man if health permits and he displays consistency.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I don't thin Marincin is a bad player. I've seen him play a stretch of games at a pretty high level so he has it in him. Needs to display consistency though and I think a healthy year will do him good.

I think he has the potential to become a very solid 5th D man if health permits and he displays consistency.

He may have potential, but do we need him to be a solid #5 for us going forward? I'm pretty sure at least one of Dermott, Rosen, Borgman, Nielsen, etc etc etc should be able to fill that role. If not, then our player development is pretty terrible.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Ok maybe not the series, but he had a pretty bad game in 6. Sure players have bad games, it was bad timing to have it then.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
To me, this is the Leaf's depth chart.
#1. Rielly. Given tougher ice-time, PP and PK.
#2. Gardiner. Given offensive opportunities, no defensive assignments.
#3. Zaitsev. Given tougher ice-time, PP and PK.
#4. Hainsey. Slightly more SH-TOI/GP then Polak. No offense.
#5. Marincin. 4th highest points per game for Leafs defensemen.
#6. Carrick. Not given a lot of ice-time. No PK. Scoring pace less then Marincin.

The Leafs offence from the blueline kind of drops fast. I wouldn't be surprised if they add a 'spark' to the roster.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Marincin is frustrating. Sometimes her looks serviceable with the long reach and lanky frame.

And then other times he flips the puck over the glass late in a one-goal game against Ottawa and Ottawa ties it on the power play and I throw my remote at the TV. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad