Managerial merry go round part II

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think Arteta would've been a better pick. Long term investment, put the emphasis on stability going forward and slowly building back up. Emery seems to me to be more of a "we want results right this second" hire.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
He was very poor in his PSG tenure.

The question is what that tenure proves.

Maybe it proves Emery's star is on the wane full stop. Maybe it proves that although he's an accomplished manager, he's not cut out for a front runner's job working with stars as opposed to simply good players. In which case, Arsenal's current level may fit him to a tee.

I'd endorse Chimaera's assessment of Emery, if I was competent at using multi-quote. Admittedly, labelling someone a 'transition guy' seems like damning with faint praise, but I don't expect Emery to bring about a collapse of Sir David Moyes proportions.

Had Arteta been appointed, I'd have been amazed. I don't expect to see a major EPL club risk an appointment of that sort for a long, long time.

I can't see the name 'Emery' without thinking of Dick Emery, who will mean nothing to anybody under the age of forty. Nevertheless, I reckon that won't stop the English media making a trillion gags out of it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He's not leaving Roma any time soon.

Yeah I was joking.

I was just in Rome for a week and went to the match against Juve. My wife really isn't into soccer at all. Never played - no one in her family did - basketball/lacrosse family. Anyway, we went to the match last sunday. She loved it. Thought it was brilliant. Caught her on the phone telling my father in law how amazing the crowds were - the songs, the energy. That's my new 2nd favorite club. Roma did what I never could.

Reactions: maclean and cgf

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
A 50% success rate would be an improvement and all, but Mislintat should know better than wasting money on Sokratis & Leno.
Are we sure it was Mislintat pulling the strings on the Dortmund teams and not Klopp/Tuchel/others?

He seems like a bit of a fraud with his vision for the team. I'm not convinced by him. The Aubameyang signing doesn't make sense and neither does Sokratis,

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Are we sure it was Mislintat pulling the strings on the Dortmund teams and not Klopp/Tuchel/others?

He seems like a bit of a fraud with his vision for the team. I'm not convinced by him. The Aubameyang signing doesn't make sense and neither does Sokratis,

Mislintat was head scout with Dortmund and had influence on unknown or young player signings for sure, but decisions were made collectively with sporting director. Tuchel and Klopp had a minor influence on transfers. Far less than they would have in EPL.

I don't know Mislintat's role with Arsenal and if he has more influence on signing older players too.

Reactions: All Might

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It seems Mourinho's assistants next season will be Michael Carrick, Kieran McKenna and Stefano Rapetti. McKenna was the coach of United's U-18 team for the past two seasons, while Rapetti is more known as a physique coach and joins United from Udinese (was with Mourinho at Inter).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It seems Mourinho's assistants next season will be Michael Carrick, Kieran McKenna and Stefano Rapetti. McKenna was the coach of United's U-18 team for the past two seasons, while Rapetti is more known as a physique coach and joins United from Udinese (was with Mourinho at Inter).

Of course we need a physique coach. Clearly the biggest issue with the team this last season was our stamina and lack of physicality.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Of course we need a physique coach. Clearly the biggest issue with the team this last season was our stamina and lack of physicality.
It’s okay Carrick will learn from Mou and take over for him to end the season when we inexplicably crumble and then under the great Carrick we will win the league!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Have you seen United's injury lists for the past few seasons? If he can help in anyway to improve on that, fine by me. Would also help if the squd's stamina improves so they can press longer.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think Emery makes a lot of sense. But I guess for some reason he isn´t considered to be very sexy on here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Emery makes a lot of sense. But I guess for some reason he isn´t considered to be very sexy on here.

He makes sense because:

A.) He has been successful.

B.) Isn't a first time manager. That idea was f***ing crazy.

C.) Knows how to win, can't handle giant ego players, but guess what? There are none there who should have a big ego. He has won more than all of them and can put them in their place.

D.) Won the Europa League. Probably Arsenal's most realistic way into the CL.

Now if there's a reason to be critical, he had Sevilla punching above their weight, but it's going to be a lot more difficult to do that in England. There are only three guaranteed good teams in Spain and a spot open for any other good team to fly into the top four. In England, there's spots open, but the standard for that fourth position team is extremely high.

I think the man after Wenger is bound to struggle, and it would be smart for Arsenal to save up for an actual warchest for the guy after Emery.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Arteta would've been a better pick. Long term investment, put the emphasis on stability going forward and slowly building back up. Emery seems to me to be more of a "we want results right this second" hire.

Not to double post but I don't believe it's wise to try to put another long term manager in there when the club is basically hovering just over disaster mode.

Literally the first bad run of results will lead to endless doubt and criticism which will work to sabotage Emery's job. Someone you think should be manager for a while doesn't need that.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He makes sense because:

A.) He has been successful.

B.) Isn't a first time manager. That idea was ****ing crazy.

C.) Knows how to win, can't handle giant ego players, but guess what? There are none there who should have a big ego. He has won more than all of them and can put them in their place.

D.) Won the Europa League. Probably Arsenal's most realistic way into the CL.

Now if there's a reason to be critical, he had Sevilla punching above their weight, but it's going to be a lot more difficult to do that in England. There are only three guaranteed good teams in Spain and a spot open for any other good team to fly into the top four. In England, there's spots open, but the standard for that fourth position team is extremely high.

I think the man after Wenger is bound to struggle, and it would be smart for Arsenal to save up for an actual warchest for the guy after Emery.

Agree with most of that, but how can you be "critical" based on it being more difficult to punch above your weight in England? That isn't specific to Emery - that would be true for any manager.

Then we'll see if the fit is good. That isn't easy to predict. The two most successful managers Spurs had for ages before Pochettino were Jol and Redknapp. Among all the managers Spurs have had in the "modern era" those were probably the two fans expected the least from.

I don't necessarily think a new manager will struggle. Arsenal is a bit of a sleeping giant. Get Özil back to his best and they are already a proper challenger for the top 4.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think he's a good get for Arsenal, even if he's not something that excites everyone. He's a good manager who will maximize what probably will be a tight budget. He has enough experience that he can wade through a bit of the trouble they're going to face, while also getting rid of some of the leftovers who clearly do need to move.

A first year manager was going to be a mistake.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya, he’ll manage the club. But who’s gonna do the 42 other things Wenger took into his portfolio of tasks and responsibilities there? Wenger controlled much more than most managers even want to.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The question is what that tenure proves.

Maybe it proves Emery's star is on the wane full stop. Maybe it proves that although he's an accomplished manager, he's not cut out for a front runner's job working with stars as opposed to simply good players. In which case, Arsenal's current level may fit him to a tee.

I'd endorse Chimaera's assessment of Emery, if I was competent at using multi-quote. Admittedly, labelling someone a 'transition guy' seems like damning with faint praise, but I don't expect Emery to bring about a collapse of Sir David Moyes proportions.

Had Arteta been appointed, I'd have been amazed. I don't expect to see a major EPL club risk an appointment of that sort for a long, long time.

I can't see the name 'Emery' without thinking of Dick Emery, who will mean nothing to anybody under the age of forty. Nevertheless, I reckon that won't stop the English media making a trillion gags out of it.
^^^ awful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad