Managerial merry go round part II

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Here are my thoughts, Emery is a decent choice and hire. Is he perfect? Not by any stretch of the imagination...I think he eventually goes down the path to become Roberto Mancini 2.0. Does he have the potential of Nagelsmann? Clearly not. However, he fills a lot weaknesses that Arsenal had with Wenger where Emery will by a breathe of freshair. His man management will be superior in games, his tactician brain and creativity will make a huge difference when we face the top 5, and his constant video scouting will help get the best out of players such as Bellerin, Xhaka, and Iwobi who have all stagnated or have gotten worst. Sure he won't be as much of a player's coach as Wenger was, but these Arsenal players where quite complacent through his tenure. They're making 100K+ a week and their job is to play ****ing football, of course they deserve homework. I mean they're playing a kids game and getting enough funds to buy houses and Lambos in the UK...99.9% of us would kill to be in the same position as them, so getting some video scouts here and there should be the least of their concerns.

The hire doesn't give a lot of confidence when it comes to the swamp in the suits though. It sounds (based on everything I've read) is that Arteta was the main candidate for the position, but actually declined when he was told that he wasn't going to get power for transfers. That would have been a complete disaster of a hire. Now that doesn't mean Emery won't be able to get his say, especially when it comes positions and who he fancies, but it is still significant. It also seems that was one of the biggest issues for Allergi to come over and why he decided to decline Arsenal again. Not good news since I still considered him the perfect hire. As I've said Emery is far from perfect, but again some of his biggest strengths as a manager were some of Arsenal's biggest weaknesses the past nine years. I do have some optimism heading into next season even though I fully expect the Arsenal to completely botch the transfer window which is very important for us.

Emery's a decent choice. Not sure they had better candidates this summer. Unless Blanc was interested.
Ehhhhhh, Blanc is not good and didn't even come close to the accolades that Emery accomplished with the same club. Sure Blanc didn't have Mbappe or Neymar, but Emery didn't have a prime *Ibrah*, Matuidi, nor Silva. Actually Blanc was stupid enough to play Cavani on the wing during his tenure there, at least Emery knew that wasn't going to work...considering how amazing Cavani is on this board.

West Ham really are Man City retirement home. :laugh:

Wanted Wagner or Emery but it is what it is I guess. Pellegrini, uninspiring.
Though I don't rate Pellegrini as much as others do, he is an amazing grab for West Ham. He's still a very good manager and should put West Ham back into the top 8-10 by his talent alone (and not even mentioning who can grab in the transfer market).

And who can hate this lovable rascal?
IcyFarawayAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

It would be too funny if the guy Arsenal should’ve hired to make them London’s top team again...the way he turned Napoli back into a force to be reckoned with...went to the richer London team who has replaced Arsenal.
Meh, Sarri is still very much into the open in how good he really is. Napoli was his first true test and even though he did partially succeed, he also lost the title which was in his grasp for the entire season to Juve. His showing in Europe was also quite awful as well.

At best, he's a very decent manager similar to Emery, but there are certain red flags in categories which prevents them from being up there with Pep, Simeone, Allegri, Ferguson, Wenger, and Lippi.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ehhhhhh, Blanc is not good and didn't even come close to the accolades that Emery accomplished with the same club. Sure Blanc didn't have Mbappe or Neymar, but Emery didn't have a prime *Ibrah*, Matuidi, nor Silva. Actually Blanc was stupid enough to play Cavani on the wing during his tenure there, at least Emery knew that wasn't going to work...considering how amazing Cavani is on this board.
That's quite awful. Blanc has never, in his career, failed to reach the CL QF. With any team.
Emery has never reached it. With any team.

As for Cavani on the wing... sigh.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
@S E P H

I tend not judge managers on what they’ve won unless they managed the favorites. What matters more to me is a manager’s relationship with his players, his ability to teach, & his tactics; and Sarri gets a glowing review in all of those areas. Plus his tactics would be a delight to see implimented with Arsenal’s firepower, and would make you a more attractive transfer destination.

He may not turn you into contenders without some massive investment behind the big 4, but he’d make a joy to watch again and would get a lot more out of that talent than Wenger did or Emery will.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's quite awful. Blanc has never, in his career, failed to reach the CL QF. With any team.
Emery has never reached it. With any team.

As for Cavani on the wing... sigh.
How is it awful? Blanc got easier groups in Europe and were able to go farther with a superior defencive considering who he had in Verratti, Matuidi, and Silva all in their primes.

Emery never had this type of team at his disposal for one. PSG had defencive short comings all season and a big part is the squad he inherited from Blanc. Not only that, but he got Real in Champions League who's squad is more than half of Africa's GDP growth. Lastly, he was at Sevilla which we all know was a mid-table club at best in La Liga and took them to back-to-back-t0-back Europa titles. Not good enough for you? We know that Blanc would have never been able to replicate that success. Just face it, Blanc is the Bosz of French managers.

And why the sigh at the wing comment? We all know how much you complained in the past about how amazing Cavani is, but how he had to be played on the wing due to Ibrah. Is this wrong?

@S E P H

I tend not judge managers on what they’ve won unless they managed the favorites. What matters more to me is a manager’s relationship with his players, his ability to teach, & his tactics; and Sarri gets a glowing review in all of those areas. Plus his tactics would be a delight to see implimented with Arsenal’s firepower, and would make you a more attractive transfer destination.

He may not turn you into contenders without some massive investment behind the big 4, but he’d make a joy to watch again and would get a lot more out of that talent than Wenger did or Emery will.
Don't get me wrong, we're probably going to see many different tactics under Emery at Arsenal. But Emery can setup football as beautiful as Wenger and Sarri can.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG has got better and better every year on paper. Emery clearly had more to work with than Blanc, no question.
Yet he got worse results. 1 single champion title and two early CL KO.
Blanc won all domestic titles in every season and went further in the CL.
Blanc couldn't win EL titles you know because he was busy fighting with the big boys in the CL. Even with Bordeaux a team certainly weaker than Sevilla, he reached the CL QF (finished his CL group over Bayern and Juve) and won the french title. Chamakh was the leading scorer.
And even if results clearly show Blanc is much better, what's even more striking is the quality of player and the domination. PSG under Blanc was a machine.

As for the sigh, we told you why Cavani played on the wing already. And that gave PSG two scoring threats.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But Emery can setup football as beautiful as Wenger and Sarri can.

Yes to the former, but no to the latter. Even his EL winning Sevilla teams were never even close to beautiful...much less the ugly clunky messes that Zenit & PSG were under him. Emery can organize a defense, but he can't encourage creativity or structure attacking play well at all. And with Mesut, Miki, Auba & Lacazette, you guys need to build your team around that quartet, which means a well-organized possession game that doesn't just rely on counters. Auba is deadly on the break, but he's a dangerous poacher in possession as well, so it matters less for him, but Mesut & Miki benefit massively from being a part of a well-organized attack & not the mess that the Mourinho's, Hecking's & Emery's of the world are content to call a possession structure.

Even if you guys signed Boateng, Soyuncu, Seri & Lafont (or some other high-end young keeper), I wouldn't bet on you to get back into the top 4 under Emery. Whereas if you had Sarri but no Boateng, I would be rather bullish on your chances.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If I were Arsenal I'd have definitely preferred Sarri or Blanc to Emery. Not just because both are better managers, but also because of the players that Arsenal has. I don't think Emery is going to get a ton of money to improve on what he has at his disposal, and I think the PSG 'experiment' has kind of shown that he doesn't really know how to get the best of the type of players that Arsenal does have.

He could have learned though, and could improve. He's not a bad hire. I think he'll have a tough time though.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I definitely considered Emery a downgrade on Blanc at PSG, but I'm currently doing my best to change my mind about him and @cgf you're making it very difficult goddammit!

Reactions: Evilo

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yeah all the other stuff suddenly becomes unimportant.
RM manager spot opening after a CL treble.

As for Zidane, I'd bet money on him taking over France after the WC.

2.5 years, 3 CL trophies. Goes out on top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad