Managerial merry go round part II

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Wenger was a crap player and look at all of his accomplishments.....

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If Klopp was to leave, I wouldn't want Steven Gerrard to be the manager of LFC. But at the same time, if it was Steven Gerrard or someone else who was inexperienced and basically had no management history, I would take Gerrard in a heartbeat. He knows what the club stands for, and while he might not be the best guy for the job, he also would do anything for this club. Being a legend, and knowing how close he's tied to it, I would at least be willing to give him a bit more of a chance.

I'd rather interview both candidates and hear their plans for the club, their tactical beliefs, etc. Playing careers have almost zero bearing on how good of a manager someone will become.

Reactions: cgf

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
What they feel, what they think, and how they actually perform, interview or not are completely different.

God knows as a fan of the Washington NFL team, Jim freaking Zorn talked his way into a head coaching job, and that was a disaster. He got the job because he was an amazing interview. The number of people who can sell themselves and actually do the job are far between.

Neither one has done anything on the pitch as a manager to make it an automatic appointment.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
What they feel, what they think, and how they actually perform, interview or not are completely different.

God knows as a fan of the Washington NFL team, Jim freaking Zorn talked his way into a head coaching job, and that was a disaster. He got the job because he was an amazing interview. The number of people who can sell themselves and actually do the job are far between.

Neither one has done anything on the pitch as a manager to make it an automatic appointment.

Well yeah, but neither is a homerun hire. Vieira has some more managing experience, but not enough where I'm taking that into account more than each candidates respective plans for the club. None of us know how either of them would perform at this point, but half the Arsenal fans (and a few others) here are already writing him off.

Edit: to be clear, its a combination of factors, and in your hypothetical I'm not appointing Steven Gerrard over another inexperienced guy just because he's a better player.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Guessing Everton wont appoint a new coach for a while, don't think Marcel Brands starts as director of football until June 1.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Snyder being incompetent doesn't mean everyone else should assume that they to are incompetent.
Is Arsenal's board competent?

Heck, Uncle Woy talked his way into the Liverpool job (with a big assist from the English media).

There's hundreds of managers who talked their way into jobs they shouldn't have gotten. It's not an experience that's limited to certain places or sports.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Arsenal's board competent?

Heck, Uncle Woy talked his way into the Liverpool job (with a big assist from the English media).

There's hundreds of managers who talked their way into jobs they shouldn't have gotten. It's not an experience that's limited to certain places or sports.

They did bring in Mislintat :dunno:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Arteta is perfect for Arsenal. The gig is going to be difficult and more than likely the next guy would fail if they just did 'normal managing' or tried to squeeze results out of the veteran players at the club.

Meanwhile, Arteta has a clear vision and seems eager to implement it. It's a low risk, high reward option. If he messes up and fails, you can get rid of him without much backlash and go for someone else.

Reactions: cgf

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Eintracht Frankfurt will hire Adi Hutter, who just won the Swiss title with Young Boys. He worked mostly with Red Bull Salzburg from their youth set up to the first team

RB Leipzig is also looking for a new manager after Hasenhuttl resigned

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
West Ham is trying to get Benitez out of Newcastle.

Benitez wants to stay, BUT he wants some promises from ownership, especially backing in the transfer market.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'd love to see Big Sam at Arsenal, purely because his unique brand of hoofball would bypass Jack Wilshere completely and his career would finally hurry up and disappear at the mid-to-lower-table nonentity it's destined to, and the English media could stop wondering why he isn't selected for tournaments.

Sorry, I've rather let my imagination get the better of me. If you think Big "Big" Sam, Pardiola or Moyes would be funnier than Arteta you're very wrong.

Reactions: YNWA14

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Come now, shouldn't they be banging the drum about how Uncle 'Woy needs a top 4 job again?

Let him manage the Arsenal. Wouldn't even have to throw out the prune juice and digestive biscuits.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
PSG for sure.

I'm curious what happens after that, would he ever get bored with dominating & want to go somewhere like Leipzig to see if he could beat Bayern with them?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
PSG for sure.

I'm curious what happens after that, would he ever get bored with dominating & want to go somewhere like Leipzig to see if he could beat Bayern with them?
He said previously he would like to coach the Spanish NT for a world cup.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, while the two more years is trouble for the rest, it's kinda expected isn't it? He doesn't seem like he is done, and I think he wants to get the CL win to stamp his legacy. Plus, there are only so many more jobs he could do (PSG, National Team) after this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad