Managerial merry go round part II

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Ya, he’ll manage the club. But who’s gonna do the 42 other things Wenger took into his portfolio of tasks and responsibilities there? Wenger controlled much more than most managers even want to.

Arsenal have been putting a team in place behind the scenes over the last 12 months to move the Manager into more of a Head Coach role

Raul Sanllehi - Head of football operations (from Barca)
Sven Mislintat - Head of recruitment (from Dortmund)
Huss Fahmy - Contact negotiator (no football background but a general sports one)
Darren Burgess - Head of high performance (AFL background)

Reactions: koyvoo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Emery's a decent choice. Not sure they had better candidates this summer. Unless Blanc was interested.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Antonio Mohamed is the new manager of Celta Vigo. He managed many teams in Liga MX winning titles with Club America and Monterrey

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Pellegrini is by far the best manager West Ham has had in modern times and better than both of those.

I'd say he's the manager with the best pedigree, not necessarily the best one.

That said, I'm pumped, especially with Yaya Toure reportedly coming as well.

He may be old, but if he performs half as well as he used to, or half as well as Zabaleta has performed, he'll be by far the best midfielder WHU has had in a while (considering Payet and Lanzini mostly play up field).

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Here's one Stray Wasp may enjoy: Sunderland: Jack Ross expected to be named manager on Wednesday

Sunderland expect to confirm the appointment of St Mirren boss Jack Ross as their new manager on Wednesday.

Ross, 41, who guided the Paisley side to the Scottish Championship title this season, has also had talks with English second-tier club Ipswich Town.

New owner Stewart Donald confirmed Sunderland had "agreed terms and the contracts are with the lawyers".

However, St Mirren chairman Gordon Scott has said there has "been no contact from Sunderland".

He said: "Jack is on holiday. So unless there is some major skulduggery going on then it's nonsense.

"To hold talks with Jack, we would have to grant permission, but we've had no contact from Sunderland at all."

Dearie me.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Gary Rowett leaves Derby County to take the Stoke job

I wonder whether this means that Derby's owners are refusing to invest any more in their team.

We might expect that with their parachute payments, Stoke could be one of the stronger clubs in next season's Championship, yet parachute payments didn't help Hull or Middlesbrough bounce straight back. Indeed, the last relegated team to regain Premier League status at the first attempt brought in 12 players and increased their wage bill. (Oddly, they didn't make Nigel Pearson their manager, as lots of very wise people counselled they should have).

Admittedly relegated sunderland (who, in case you missed it, were relegated to the third tier after they lost 2-1 at home to Burton Albion) were able to leave the Championship at the first attempt. But not in a way Rowett would wish to emulate.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

I am indeed enjoying it. So much so, in fact, that I wonder whether some giant double bluff is occurring, what with the new owner's colourful personal life coming to light, and the fact that he appears to be carrying out a leveraged buyout.

Just read this, and revel in the classic line regarding potential investors:

"One of the guys is Spanish that I would look to...well, he's not Spanish, but he's got a Spanish connection, so I suppose that's where that comes from".

'International consortium'? Stewart Donald's 100% Sunderland stake

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Much more likely Sarri takes a year off and sees what's out there. Manchester United and Barcelona should be available by then. No reason to walk into a minefield.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What happened at Napoli? Leaving them for Chelsea would be odd.

Would be fantastic if he came to the PL though. Replacing Conte with Sarri would significantly increase the general entertainment level. Bielsa for Mourinho next :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->