Managerial merry go round part II

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Going by the descending length of Frank De Boer's managerial reigns if he gets the Rangers job he'll be sacked from it three weeks ago.

I think he'd be a disaster and an expensive one, so I'm all for it. Pedro's reign of hilarity will be hard to take over from.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Koeman said today that Oliver Giroud changed his mind at the last minute or he would have joined Everton over the summer. He thinks that deal not getting done killed his chances.

I realize I’m just a random guy at an Internet message board (mainly related to hockey even), but yeah one more player without pace who likes to operate in front of the CDs. Bizarre if you ask me. And even if I don’t think Giroud is amazing I probably rate him higher than most.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Going by the descending length of Frank De Boer's managerial reigns if he gets the Rangers job he'll be sacked from it three weeks ago.

I think he'd be a disaster and an expensive one, so I'm all for it. Pedro's reign of hilarity will be hard to take over from.

Aberdeen fan?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah. Without turning this thread into a big discussion into the structure of the Everton-squad I agree. I think Everton got a lot of good players, but you got so many players playing in the same style and the lack of pace among some of the better attacking players is quite shocking.

As I said - I don't get how an experienced manager like Koeman could let something like that happen. I don't like Koeman as he has some of that strange "Dutch arrogance"* you see in LVG, but he has managed some good teams over the years. I expected him to make Everton a good if not very good side.

* I don't really know how to put it and I don't mean to insult the Dutch. I think all people can be arrogant - so it is not specific to the Dutch - just that it shows in different ways for different cultures.
Not really taken as an insult. I think even the Dutch recognize that they have that 'Dutch confidence' I'll call it. It's a bit of a blessing and a curse at the same time. I mean the Dutch revolutionized football (in more than one way) and we're seeing that now more and more. But we also have a long history of being stubborn, infighting, etc. It's why the KNVB is the mess that it is right now; Michels/Cruyff vs. van Gaal schools.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What football has Cruyff revolutionized?

You know, back when Michels copied the Mighty Magyars & Wunderteam to build his side around Cruyff the exact same way they had built their positionally fluid sides around Puskas & Sindelar :sarcasm:

It was so revolutionary that they lost in the WC final to a West German team based around the exact same kind of tactical interplay...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can't speak to barca's history, but it's always tickled me when people go on & on about the the Dutch revolution. Our golden generation, which kept them trophy-less, was built on the exact same tactical foundation that we had built up from what we learned playing against the Mighty Magyars two decades prior...who themselves built their system off of what Meisl did with Sindelar & the Wunderteam two decades before them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You don't have to discover or invent something to create a revolution. Ignorance is bliss though. There's a reason that the advent of 'Total Football' is associated with Michels/Cruyff and Barcelona's future was written with them. Academy systems everywhere studied Dutch training methods, etc. But hey, current managers, players and pundits don't know what they're talking about when crediting them either.

CeVpZzHUsAEBQyA.jpg

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:facepalm:
Ignorance is bliss indeed.
Ruiz formed Cruyff to Barca's style.
Make some research before claiming stuff like that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You say that as though those are the only teams that are studied lol Academy systems everywhere also study how the french built their system, how we rebuilt ours from the late 90s onwards, they study what about the SA system promotes skill development...thus the rise in futsal style drills & mini-tourneys at youth levels in europe...and they study how the Hungarians of the 50s operated.

Talk to some creative thinkers in this sport and no one team revolutionized their thinking. This sport has progressively evolved and each major step along on the way played a pivotal part.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And mind you, Guardiola has said numerous times he learnt from Ruiz too. Just like many others. :facepalm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Isn't that fun that for years one ignorant fan tells us how wrong we are all the time because we don't know as much as he does (because WE are ignorant), even though he hits the wall repeatedly.... :laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
And mind you, Guardiola has said numerous times he learnt from Ruiz too. Just like many others. :facepalm:
..and?
“He was unique, totally unique,” Pep Guardiola says of Johan Cruyff on a quiet Thursday afternoon in London. “Without him I wouldn’t be here. I know for sure this is why I am, right now, the manager of Manchester City and before that Bayern Munich and Barcelona.”

“I knew nothing about football before knowing Cruyff,” said the world's most sought-after coach.

I mean, I don't have to do this. You can think how you wish, but the footballing world knows.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And just so yo uknow since you need to learn a little bit, the only thing Cruyff managed to do is implement Ruiz' system to the main team because he had the authority and the name to be hear. Ruiz revolutionized la Masia and then tried to implement it with the A team but was rejected because he was not a big name.
Cruyff became a fan and years later implemented Ruiz' system.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He'd be right IMO. There's no way Lille should sack him.
His team was the better team yesterday against OM for instance, but his team's very young and they make mistakes (like on the FK that resulted in the only goal by Sanson).
The team will get better, but he has to work with those youngsters and he's IMO the right fit. It'll take time for these kids to get confidence, but they will get on a roll at some point.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Despite qualifying for their first tournament since 2010, Serbia sack their manager Slavoljub Muslin. The main reasons seem to be Serbia's poor performances (very defensive) in the last few qualifiers + not calling up Milinkovic-Savic and integrating more of the U20 World Champions into the squad. Former Bundesliga defender Mladen Krstajic is the caretaker for the November friendlies. Serbia want to hire Dragan Stojkovic but he has a big contract in China, another candidate is Slovakian Vladimir Weiss who managed Slovakia in the 2010 World Cup and is currently with the Georgia NT. More realistic seems to be Ivan Jovanovic (the guy who took APOEL to the quarters of the CL)

Hungary have fired former Belgium manager Georges Leekens to replace Bernd Storck

Franco Foda is the new manager of Austria, becoming the first German to take that post. He will coach the friendly match against Uruguay in November before officially stepping down from Sturm Graz in the winter break. He has coached Sturm Graz from 2006-2012 and a 2nd stint 2014 to present

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Bremen sack Alexander Nouri after a winless start in the Bundesliga and a 3:0 loss at home to Augsburg. Bremen U23 manager Florian Kohlfeldt is the interim manager and they will look for a permanent replacement during the international break

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Simon Grayson sacked at Sunderland after only four months, the team is in the relegation zone of the Championship with only 1 win from 15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad