Managerial merry go round part II

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Other managers who have left after the final World Cup qualifying matches...

- Juan Antonio Pizzi (Chile)
- Srecko Katanec (Slovenia)
- Mehmed Bazdarevic (BiH)
- Lucas Alcaraz (Algeria)

Australia manager Ange Postecoglu also will step down after their November playoff vs. Honduras, regardless if they qualify

Robert Prosinecki is about to leave the Azerbaijan job as he is a candidate for the Slovenia and BiH job; he is the favorite for the Slovenia job

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Tuchel rumored to be going to Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao in China, might be the right destination for him.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Don't know how reliable Gazzetta is but on their front page they are reporting Ancelotti could coach Croatia IF they make the World Cup. Usually this nonsense you will see in a Croatian tabloid but Gazzetta seems pretty reputable

Wait until he see's the pay package, HNS refuses to pay coaches over 250K :laugh:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Tuechel a candidate for the Toffees? Just curious.

He should be, if they have any sense. However if the odds offered by various bookies are anything to go by Everton fans need to steel themselves for a British graduate of The School of Hard to Play Against.

The front runners in the betting are...

(at this point Toffees fans may want to lie down / grab a stiff drink / cry for mother depending on their preferred method for dealing with trauma)

...David Unsworth, Sir David Moyes, Sean Dyche and Sam Allardyce. The highest-ranked foreigners are Louis Van Gaal and Ancelotti.

Not the most inspiring list of names, if you ask me.

Reactions: cgf

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wonder if there's any chance Koeman would consider taking on the NT. He's a good manager IMO; he certainly would do a better job than what we've had there of late.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It is ludicrous to even think about firing Klopp. As Liverpool have made great strides under him and there's no clear cut better option. However, he is not beyond criticism (not that's what you're suggesting) if pool don't make the top 4... he bears the brunt of the blame IMO.

Have they though? They were closer to the league title under Rodgers in 2014 than they have been under Klopp so far (and they won't get that close this year either). Yes, they qualified for the CL last year but that isn't meant to be a one off, they intended for this year to be another step in the right direction, not a year of mediocrity.

I'm a big Klopp fan but aside from his numerous brilliant victories and the generally attractive style of play, the man has also overseen one of the more remarkable runs of futility by a major club in recent history. The half season that got him fired at Dortmund was basically a typical Liverpool loss under Klopp on a loop. How exactly did that happen? Maybe it's because when the defensive breakdowns start occurring frequently enough every team at almost every talent level can pull a number on a Klopp team.

This trouble could be seen brewing for a while and the transfer window over the off-season should have had alarm bells ringing among Liverpool fans. Liverpool simply do not have the personnel to play "Kloppball" with any sort of consistent success and the failure to shore it up over the summer all but guaranteed that this season would not be a step forward. I don't know who controls transfer dealings at Liverpool, but whoever it is basically has gotten the club into a pickle.

If by January/February they're still where they're in the league right now, not only would Klopp be on the 'hot seat', I'd find it hard to believe he'd survive a season without European qualification.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Craig Shakespeare sacked by Leicester City

I don't follow Leicester nearly enough to say he didn't deserve to go and I'm not saying he's your guy long term, but I think he was sacked prematurely. They had a tough schedule to start off the campaign.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
God knows what happened at Everton this summer. If Koeman really wanted that mishmash of players he definitely deserved to go. I do find that hard to believe though.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't follow Leicester nearly enough to say he didn't deserve to go and I'm not saying he's your guy long term, but I think he was sacked prematurely. They had a tough schedule to start off the campaign.

Would agree with this. Not convinced at all that CS is a good manager, but way too early to say. Poor decision to appoint someone in the first place if you don´t trust them more than this.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
God knows what happened at Everton this summer. If Koeman really wanted that mishmash of players he definitely deserved to go. I do find that hard to believe though.
I imagine both Klaassen & Sigurðsson were guys Koeman pushed for. I get maybe bringing in one of those two but not both.

Some of that money needed to be spent on a centre forward. The fact it wasn't doomed Koeman.

Heard a lot of good things about Underworth so think he is worth a look. Little worried he could just be our Shakespeare, the guy the players want but who ultimately isn't really ready for the job.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I imagine both Klaassen & Sigurðsson were guys Koeman pushed for. I get maybe bringing in one of those two but not both.

Some of that money needed to be spent on a centre forward. The fact it wasn't doomed Koeman.

Heard a lot of good things about Underworth so think he is worth a look. Little worried he could just be our Shakespeare, the guy the players want but who ultimately isn't really ready for the job.

Yeah. Without turning this thread into a big discussion into the structure of the Everton-squad I agree. I think Everton got a lot of good players, but you got so many players playing in the same style and the lack of pace among some of the better attacking players is quite shocking.

As I said - I don't get how an experienced manager like Koeman could let something like that happen. I don't like Koeman as he has some of that strange "Dutch arrogance"* you see in LVG, but he has managed some good teams over the years. I expected him to make Everton a good if not very good side.

* I don't really know how to put it and I don't mean to insult the Dutch. I think all people can be arrogant - so it is not specific to the Dutch - just that it shows in different ways for different cultures.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Little info I read the other day about Koeman and some dutch attitude.
After the Everton/Lyon game Koeman went to see the ref to complain, which was absolutely amazing when you consider what happenned during the previous 90 minutes.
The ref was asked about it in the dutch papers.
Not only did Koeman REALLY complain to the ref in dutch, he whined the ref didn't add enough stoppage time. That's already gross considering anyone who watched the game can tell you how the ref was epicly in favor of Everton.
But as if it wasn't enough, the ref answered : "I could have added 90 minutes, your team wouldn't have scored".
:amazed:
How a pro ref can answer that to a pro coach in euro competition is amazing to me.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Yeah. Without turning this thread into a big discussion into the structure of the Everton-squad I agree. I think Everton got a lot of good players, but you got so many players playing in the same style and the lack of pace among some of the better attacking players is quite shocking.
Koeman said today that Oliver Giroud changed his mind at the last minute or he would have joined Everton over the summer. He thinks that deal not getting done killed his chances.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Pedro Cauixina sacked by Rangers.

Think they should give Frank de Boer a shot.
Derek McInnes was the name that jumped into my head first.

I could see Frank de Boer as well if the board are willing to give him the time to change the way the team plays to what he would want.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Koeman said today that Oliver Giroud changed his mind at the last minute or he would have joined Everton over the summer. He thinks that deal not getting done killed his chances.
And now he blames a player not even at his club. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad