Managerial merry go round part II

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
West Ham consider replacing Bilic with Moyes. How inspiring.
Yeah, underwhelming. But honestly, who would be desperate enough to take over a club in West Ham's position with all the crazy & clueless board decisions on top of it? Probably Moyes, Allardyce (they approached him aswell) and a few others fans wouldn't be too excited about.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Counting either the Intertoto Cup or even the Fairs-City cup as a major European trophy is a stretch to say the least.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Fairs city Cup is a major trophy.
Looked it up further and that comment is... fair. It is essentially the same as Jesse Ventura saying he was a Navy Seal when he was actually in the group that evolved into the Seals so it's a pedantic point. And Newcastle won it when the rules for qualifying were less ridiculous than they originaly were.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You knew it was going to be some British retread. You don't have a ton of options this time of year. The reality is the time to do it was really the summer, but I understand wanting to give him another crack at righting the ship.

Still love Slaven, he's an entertaining guy. It wasn't working.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
42769_54_news_hub_36971_656x500.jpg

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Hardly the biggest fan, but he did well at Everton, while he would always be out of his depth at United. No one can do anything at Sunderland, it's a black hole.

We'll see what happens. Likely it'll be scrapping and clawing the rest of the campaign. 55/45 we stay up. SAD!

The squad on its face really should be mid-table-ish, though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Don't know if I like that if I was a West Ham fan. Yikes...

We can all guess that Moyes is going to be sacked at some time in the near future. Either a year from now or next summer.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Thread titel being quite perfect at the moment. Not that every young or at least still somewhat promising manager will work out, but if Hull can bring in Silva I´m pretty sure WH could do better than Moyes. Seems so pointless. At least a guy like Alardyce has a record of keeping average and/or small teams competitive.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Rennes coach Gourcoff is gone even though the team's won its last four matches. Apparently due to disagreements with new club president Létang

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Gourcuff was a big friend of Ruello, the former president. When Ruello got fired, Gourcuff lashed out, and when he learnt Letang was named 10 minutes after, he flamed him in the media. :laugh:
Was only a matter of time, Gourcuff is not a guy who makes U-turns.

Anyway, he has failed at Rennes, no matter how you slice it. The quality of play (which was incredible with Lorient) was dramatic. He didn't use Rennes' fantastic academy that well either.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thread titel being quite perfect at the moment. Not that every young or at least still somewhat promising manager will work out, but if Hull can bring in Silva I´m pretty sure WH could do better than Moyes. Seems so pointless. At least a guy like Alardyce has a record of keeping average and/or small teams competitive.
When Hull brought in Silva, no one knew who he was.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
When Hull brought in Silva, no one knew who he was.

No one?

And even if the "average fan" doesn´t/didn´t I would expect people hiring managers to be aware of someone doing as well as Silva did in his 5 years before joining Hull. Kind of my point. It seems like the people hiring are as ignorant as fans - and not even fans that follow football that closely (or maybe only his/her favourite team/league), but the "average fan".

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No one?

And even if the "average fan" doesn´t/didn´t I would expect people hiring managers to be aware of someone doing as well as Silva did in his 5 years before joining Hull. Kind of my point. It seems like the people hiring are as ignorant as fans - and not even fans that follow football that closely (or maybe only his/her favourite team/league), but the "average fan".
Sure, but Silva was seen as anything but a sure thing at the time. He was not first choice for the Hull role either. They couldn’t give that job away. Not every team wants to take a chance on someone who is not proven, and even so it doesnt always work out. It seems like West Ham, in particular, have been trying to hire a big name manager for a while; they were trying very hard for Rafa Benitez for one. Moyes may have been the biggest name that they could have gotten. It does not seem that it was their strategy to roll the dice on a Silva type.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Moyes isn't that bad for a club whose goal is mid table and topping out with a shot at the Europa League. He's not a guy for a top club but for a West Ham type club he is fine. His spell with United was just the perfect example of the Peter Principal in action.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Montreal Impact have hired Remi Garde as their new manager.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Apparently Pochettino told Balague (who wrote his biography) that he has already declined offers from two top ten clubs.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Apparently Pochettino told Balague (who wrote the his biography) that he has already declined offers from two top ten clubs.

Top ten?

Depending on who you ask Spurs are a top 10-12 club these days - so yeah - obviously he wouldn't move to a team more or less at the same level / size.

We'll see when plastic fantastic PSG come knocking or maybe RM. Pochettino has stated several times that he is not leaving and/or being extremely happy being at Spurs for years and years, but you never know. I personally don't think he will move for many years, but one can never be 100% certain (even if it feels close to 99% this time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad