Prospect Info: Magic Marner returns to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
So..... Back to Marner?

I'm excited for this kid, he seems like he has a great head on his shoulder and he's had a pretty good start this year. I'm just waiting for him to have one of his 5+pt nights and people will go nuts again.

I think he's our #1 prospect (even though Nylander is pretty close).

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
So..... Back to Marner?

I'm excited for this kid, he seems like he has a great head on his shoulder and he's had a pretty good start this year. I'm just waiting for him to have one of his 5+pt nights and people will go nuts again.

I think he's our #1 prospect (even though Nylander is pretty close).

I didnt even know I was on the Marner thread after reading this page :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner is hot right now. I expect him to take off over the next while with several multi point games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner is hot right now. I expect him to take off over the next while with several multi point games.

The powerhouse Knights are finding their stride and the new players acclimatized now so things are rolling right along.

Knights scored 6 goals on Friday, 7 goals in Saturday and 6 more on Sunday for 19 goals over the weekend. So no shortage of offense to go around for everyone and Marner contributed 3 goals and 3 assists 6 points in the weekend [2.0 PPG pace].

In contrast Leafs have only scored 20 goals over 10 games in comparison on the entire season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The powerhouse Knights are finding their stride and the new players acclimatized now so things are rolling right along.

Knights scored 6 goals on Friday, 7 goals in Saturday and 6 more on Sunday for 19 goals over the weekend. So no shortage of offense to go around for everyone and Marner contributed 3 goals and 3 assists 6 points in the weekend [2.0 PPG pace].

In contrast Leafs have only scored 20 goals over 10 games in comparison on the entire season.

Great thing is for the most part, all of our prospects are having productive seasons. Marner and Nylander having great starts just makes it all that sweeter.

Couple that with the fact the Leafs are right there tied for last in the NHL is awesome, adding Matthews or Chychrun to what is already a strong prospect pool (+ another 1st and 2nd in the draft)....the future looks great!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

They have a whopping 5 players in the top 20 in OHL scoring.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Whoa...you know it's a bad sign if a prospect thread on the Leafs board gets bumped to the second page.
Should we just cut-bait with Marner and try again next draft?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

It's not only Marner but another Leafs prospect J J Piccinich is also performing well and is producing at the pace of 1.5 points per game, I expect Marner to produce better than last year and should win the scoring title

Matthew Tkachuk is the leader in scoring for Knights at this stage and I am sure Hunter and company is watching him closely

Last edited:

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
It's not only Marner but another Leafs prospect J J Piccinich is also performing well and is producing at the pace of 1.5 points per game, I expect Marner to produce better than last year and should win the scoring title

Matthew Tkachuk is the leader in scoring for Knights at this stage and I am sure Hunter and company is watching him closely

Producing more than 2.0PPG is almost impossible. If he can keep pace with last year's PPG and add in some solid production at the WJC and have a deep memorial cup run I think that'd be a successful year for Marner. I doubt he'll win the scoring title, he'll be missing time from the WJC anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Will Marner play in any of those Prospect exhibition games or are those only for draft eligible players?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

My thoughts exactly.

As for Marner, he's doing well! Hope he keeps it going.

Rumours out that as per Friedman that Werenski could make the jump to London, and that would be a ridiculous upgrade to get for free.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Producing more than 2.0PPG is almost impossible. If he can keep pace with last year's PPG and add in some solid production at the WJC and have a deep memorial cup run I think that'd be a successful year for Marner. I doubt he'll win the scoring title, he'll be missing time from the WJC anyway.

I won't say it's impossible but it is very tough, but going at a 2 points a game ifself is a big achievement

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One question I have about drafting so many London Knights is could this be this generation's version of drafting 3 Belleville Bulls in the first round of the 1989 draft?

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Great thing is for the most part, all of our prospects are having productive seasons. Marner and Nylander having great starts just makes it all that sweeter.

Couple that with the fact the Leafs are right there tied for last in the NHL is awesome, adding Matthews or Chychrun to what is already a strong prospect pool (+ another 1st and 2nd in the draft)....the future looks great!

The production we are seeing from our recent draft picks is very impressive.
Marner, Nylander, Bracco, Piccinich, Dzerkalis, Timashov, Nielsen and Derochers all putting up great numbers. Dermot's point totals are ok, but he was one of the most impressive prospects in the entire group during pre-season. I was a bit underwhelmed with the Nielsen and Dzerkalis picks at the time, just thought there were better players available, but Hunter obviously has a real eye for potential talent. Can't wait to see what we have in a couple of years.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
One question I have about drafting so many London Knights is could this be this generation's version of drafting 3 Belleville Bulls in the first round of the 1989 draft?

Funny you should mention 1989 ... that is Sundin's draft year.
Shows you the big difference between picking #1 and having 3 draft picks elsewhere in the first round.

OvenMittz*

The production we are seeing from our recent draft picks is very impressive.
Marner, Nylander, Bracco, Piccinich, Dzerkalis, Timashov, Nielsen and Derochers all putting up great numbers. Dermot's point totals are ok, but he was one of the most impressive prospects in the entire group during pre-season. I was a bit underwhelmed with the Nielsen and Dzerkalis picks at the time, just thought there were better players available, but Hunter obviously has a real eye for potential talent. Can't wait to see what we have in a couple of years.

Dermot looks like he is playing a lot more defensive then he usually plays. I feel like he might be confident enough on his offensive side and now is working on his defensive side, which is actually doing great this year.

He's got the skills and offensive awareness from what i saw in camp and preseason i think the question marks lies in his defense.. which he is showing great development in this season.

Or i could be making excuses subconsciously and im the only one thinking/seeing this.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I've thought of that, too.
Realistically, if the Leafs win the draft and select Matthews, then next pick will be on the best available defenseman. Center would, at that point be considered a strength with Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Leipic, Gauthier and Kadri so defense and goaltending would need to be the focus for the rest of the draft

I don't see the Leafs brass thinking this way to be honest.
I believe they will take what they think is the best player at both spots regardless of position.

Definitely some interesting prospects in this draft. Nobody seems to be talking much about Gauthier, but he also seems to be a big strong forward who can score. Would be great if we could somehow snag another first rounder.

Last edited:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Dermot looks like he is playing a lot more defensive then he usually plays. I feel like he might be confident enough on his offensive side and now is working on his defensive side, which is actually doing great this year.

He's got the skills and offensive awareness from what i saw in camp and preseason i think the question marks lies in his defense.. which he is showing great development in this season.

Or i could be making excuses subconsciously and im the only one thinking/seeing this.

I thought he looked as good in his own end as he did in the offensive zone. What stood out for me, was his decision making. When to pass, when to dump it, when to hold, when to jump in. Also, even though he isn't a really big guy, he seems physically strong and won his share of one 1 on 1 battles. Really hope he makes the WJ team this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad