Prospect Info: Magic Marner returns to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Seriously though if he becomes an all star at both positions I don't see how that's a bad thing.

They said they were going to have him develop at centre this year, the should stick to that or just put him on the wing.

How is he going to get more comfortable at centre if he's put back on the wing constantly?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
They said they were going to have him develop at centre this year, the should stick to that or just put him on the wing.

How is he going to get more comfortable at centre if he's put back on the wing constantly?

Frankly I don't think it matters much. It's the OHL, he's too good for that league. He plays center, wing, defense as it is, may as well try him in goal one of these days too.

As long as he ends up playing at center for say half of the games I'll be happy.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Seriously though if he becomes an all star at both positions I don't see how that's a bad thing.

I agree - He should either play at center or wing

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Zetterberg has gone back and forth on a game-to-game basis pretty much his entire career.

Seguin can play both.

Say Nylander or Matthews go down with an injury, Marner can move back over.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Ideally, we would see Marner manning the 1st line as the 1st line center facing the opposition's toughest players throughout the season and playoffs.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
*If the Leafs have the good fortune of acquiring Auston Matthews this summer, would you abandon the idea of grooming Marner as a center and let him develop as an elite running mate for Nylander or Matthews, or would you try to go three deep and just roll them all out on separate units?
Develop them all as centers anyway. Centers can usually play wing but not vice versa. Plus, centers hold more trade value

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
*If the Leafs have the good fortune of acquiring Auston Matthews this summer, would you abandon the idea of grooming Marner as a center and let him develop as an elite running mate for Nylander or Matthews, or would you try to go three deep and just roll them all out on separate units?

Develop them all as centers. If we got Matthews or Stamkos this offseason that person and Nylander would likely be my centers moving forward but keep developing everyone as centers so down the road someone gets hurt Marnr can shift over.

We could have Stamkos, Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Kadri all as potential top 6 centers, don't need to limit yourself, more centers means more versatility.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Hey im wondering if there's a better site then HF to get updates about prospects , when i go into the main prospect thread , Leafs prospect(s) thread turn into bashing leafs thread , is any?

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Couldn't help but notice that Chicago's game tonight was dominated by a couple of midgets like Marner.
Kane and Panarin put on a show.

The NHL is changing ...

Tyler Biggs*

He could follow the same path as Max Domi. Domi took two more years with the Knights and now he's playing amazing on the Coyotes.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I have a few questions,

1) Does Marner have to play in the CHL next year or can he play in the AHL?
2) If Marner is not allowed to play in the AHL can he play in Europe for a year?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have a few questions,

2) If Marner is not allowed to play in the AHL can he play in Europe for a year?

1) CHL or NHL.

2) He can.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have a few questions,

The Marner situation is not like Nylander in that he doesn't have any European heritage/roots nor history of playing overseas that this would be a logical decision for his development for Leafs management to chose as a valid option. Since Marner has signed his ELC already the Leafs not Marner control where he will play.

Even with Willie the Leafs brought him back to North America as a 19 year old A.S.A.P to get use to playing on the smaller ice and in a style more closely related to the NHL. The Euro game on big ice is a vastly different game to NA style of hockey.

Not sure why fans think another year in the OHL as a 19 year old will hurt his development. Max Domi another former Knight is a great example of a 1st round pick that was sent back to junior for 2 more years post draft and now look at the impact he is making at the NHL level 14 games 7-6-13 points (2nd in rookie scoring). If Marner hits the NHL running having the impact that Domi is having that would be great. IMO

This is up to Marner to make sure he works on his development on and off the ice this season so that he pushes for a NHL job next year.. If he fails than its 99.9% chance he returns to London of the OHL and Mark Hunter's team for further development.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The Marner situation is not like Nylander in that he doesn't have any European heritage/roots nor history of playing overseas that this would be a logical decision for his development for Leafs management to chose as a valid option. Since Marner has signed his ELC already the Leafs not Marner control where he will play.

Even with Willie the Leafs brought him back to North America as a 19 year old A.S.A.P to get use to playing on the smaller ice and in a style more closely related to the NHL. The Euro game on big ice is a vastly different game to NA style of hockey.

Not sure why fans think another year in the OHL as a 19 year old will hurt his development. Max Domi another former Knight is a great example of a 1st round pick that was sent back to junior for 2 more years post draft and now look at the impact he is making at the NHL level 14 games 7-6-13 points (2nd in rookie scoring). If Marner hits the NHL running having the impact that Domi is having that would be great. IMO

This is up to Marner to make sure he works on his development on and off the ice this season so that he pushes for a NHL job next year.. If he fails than its 99.9% chance he returns to London of the OHL and Mark Hunter's team for further development.

I am very concerned about his size. If he doesn't grow much this year then I don't know what to do. If he gets over 110pts this year but physically isn't ready for the NHL then I say send him to Europe.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Nielsen has almost no chance I think. While he had a great pro camp and has the 2nd highest PPG in the WHL for defenseman, he has been a late bloomer. Hockey Canada tends to prefer guys with a larger body of work as far as elite play and experience with the program. I think it's rare for players who weren't part of the U18 to make the U20. Even Dermott may have a tough time making the team with how they run things.

(Interesting tidbit: Provorov had a really hot start but Nielsen has now passed in in both points and PPG.)

Last season alone, Neilsen had 24 points now he has 20 already. It's pretty impressive.

I disagree about allowing Marner to play both and not worry about, there is a lot more responsibilities and mental games you have learn and play when you are a centre than you are a winger. If we are to play him on the centre for the bigs, let him learn his role. It's a lot easier to go from the centre to the wing than vice versa.

Shwaguy*

Sending Marner back to the OHL next year is just an absolute waste of time, and he could still become a good player, but he's probably a worse player when all is said and done if you send him back next year than if he plays in the NHL (He will still be good either way though).

Shwaguy*

No player. NONE. Have had the success Marner has had in Junior and went back to the CHL for their draft+2 season. You absolutely do not send him back. Maybe if the AHL were an option but it isn't. You play him on the damn big team.

Shwaguy*

Could Marner goes the Auston Matthews route and sign in Europe for a year if he doesn't make the Leafs?

He could but they won't because that's straight unnecessary. Play him in the NHL if he's way too good for the CHL. Anything else is stupid.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's not even worth arguing about - Marner isn't going back down.

champs*

hope marner is really focusing on a off ice program, building size and strength!... no way babs keeps him on the team if he is not ready

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's not even worth arguing about - Marner isn't going back down.

Yeah, sending Marner down would be overkill as he was a better prospect than Nylander on draft day. Play him sparsely if you must but him going down to the CHL is just not worth it.

He would be much better off learning from Babcock.

If we pick 1st somehow, we have three rookies making the team for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Could Marner go the Auston Matthews route and sign in Europe for a year if he doesn't make the Leafs?

Nope

Marner signed his ELC with the Leafs and the NHL and as a result contracts are honoured in Euro leagues.

Leafs management could agree to loan him to a team overseas (extremely unlikely) as they are the only ones with a say in where he plays now.

PS. Matthews sustained a back injury playing in Europe against bigger stronger players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad