Prospect Info: Magic Marner returns to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Old thread is reaching its max limit.

Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread ‎(
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Responding to stuff in the previous thread:

Marner and Hanifin are interesting studies in peak upside, middle upside and floor potential, which makes them a comparison we'll likely have to live with for as long as those Sakic/Richardson comparisons.

At peak upside, I think Marner trumps Hanifin: it's like comparing Kariya/Lafontaine/Kane to Ryan McDonagh...

At middle upside, I think Hanifin has a more useful middle zone if he's more like an Erik Johnson/Jay Bouwmeester who brings elite skills but not consistently elite in performance, while Marner could be a Jeff Skinner.

If they both semi-bust, Hanifin is a useful stop gap on a third pairing, but Marner is likely lighting up the KHL.

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
Marner is physically not ready to play in the NHL. Let him develop in the OHL...he definitely needs to add some lbs.!

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Marner centering Tkachuk and Sherwood:

:)

on a side note, it looks like Piccinich is injured again..

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He's gonna pick up about infinity points this year.

Points don't mean ****. We don't need him to learn how to score against teenagers who will never be more than AHLers, we need him to learn to score when he is playing top minutes, and everyone is trying to shut him down, while also playing the center position responsibly.

He needs first line minutes. Marner already showed he can score.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Points don't mean ****. We don't need him to learn how to score against teenagers who will never be more than AHLers, we need him to learn to score when he is playing top minutes, and everyone is trying to shut him down, while also playing the center position responsibly.

He'll play 1st line minutes, the same as last year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Responding to stuff in the previous thread:

Marner and Hanifin are interesting studies in peak upside, middle upside and floor potential, which makes them a comparison we'll likely have to live with for as long as those Sakic/Richardson comparisons.

At peak upside, I think Marner trumps Hanifin: it's like comparing Kariya/Lafontaine/Kane to Ryan McDonagh...

At middle upside, I think Hanifin has a more useful middle zone if he's more like an Erik Johnson/Jay Bouwmeester who brings elite skills but not consistently elite in performance, while Marner could be a Jeff Skinner.

If they both semi-bust, Hanifin is a useful stop gap on a third pairing, but Marner is likely lighting up the KHL.

That's usually how I look at prospects. A high, middle and low projection. Usually add a chance distribution as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's usually how I look at prospects. A high, middle and low projection. Usually add a chance distribution as well.

That is a similar concept to how Hockey'sFuture does it here on this website.

NHL Player System Rating Rules

Traditional Realistic Potential Rating (1-10)
(a player's realistic potential ability):

&

Realistic Probability Rating (A-F)
(the player's realistic chances of achieving their potential):

Hockey's Future set Marner at a 8.5 D level prospect (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mitch-marner/).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner and Tkachuk is a pretty powerful tandem.

Tkachuk is off to a great start 2-4-6 points in 2 games and him and Marner should be explosive.

Max Jones the winger that Dvorak is getting is off to slow start 0-0-0 points.

So Mitch is getting the higher rated prospect and the one that is performing better.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

While your point is clear I think the most important thing for Marner is to grow in size and mass. If he can do that, and the option next year is NHL or OHL, then he'll be developing under Babcock next season.

Hopefully the billet family he's with knows how to feed him well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Basically, Hanifin has a shorter distance to go to become a useful NHL player. Marner has a much longer way to go to get there, but has more capacity to become a higher end player over the long run, but given his training camp performance, a lot has to go right for that to happen.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Basically, Hanifin has a shorter distance to go to become a useful NHL player. Marner has a much longer way to go to get there, but has more capacity to become a higher end player over the long run, but given his training camp performance, a lot has to go right for that to happen.

He played 2 pre-season games. You can't draw conclusions from that.

As far as relative performance, Strome has 1 goal in 4 games.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I won't pretend I picked this up but my buddy said he noticed that Marner has been using new equipment/brand. Apparently noticeable in his puck handling.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's a constant evaluation, can't ignore it just because you don't like it.

Pretty sure you would have drawn a different conclusion if he had pulled a couple of hat tricks off and looked dominant.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I'm on team Marner, but to be fair, in addition to his relatively poor training camp, he was also a non-factor for the rookie tourney.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For the better or worse?

Worse. He used CCM in London and since he has put on a Leafs uniform he has been using Easton (that is what I remember him telling me). I get the money is nice for endorsements but if he is not comfortable with the new gear, then not a good move.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
It's a constant evaluation, can't ignore it just because you don't like it.

Like it or not, it's a drop in the bucket. It provides no real feedback to the composition of the contents of the bucket.

Take a step back and evaluate from a broader perspective. Marner is an 18 year old weighing around 165lbs playing trying out for a men's league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Like it or not, it's a drop in the bucket. It provides no real feedback to the composition of the contents of the bucket.

Take a step back and evaluate from a broader perspective. Marner is an 18 year old weighing around 165lbs playing trying out for a men's league.

I'm a Marner fan and I'm aware of his stature, but up to this point he hasn't impressed. There's nothing else to add.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Worse. He used CCM in London and since he has put on a Leafs uniform he has been using Easton (that is what I remember him telling me). I get the money is nice for endorsements but if he is not comfortable with the new gear, then not a good move.

Mitch switched to Easton stick in January (unless your buddy is referring to gloves--which I haven't paid attention to).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad