Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
i voted matthews

not a leafs fan

the current vote disparity factored into my vote

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
? you'll take the injured player who has less points right now?

mackinnon is better right now

I meant that with the information I currently have, I'd take Matthews. He's younger and looks to be getting better and better. I agree MacKinnon is playing better now though.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Mackinnon right now, Matthews slightly higher in the future. Mackinnon is just ridiculous this season though. As per what Maple Beasts said as well, Matthews definitely has 100 point a season potential. Ignoring positive or negative biases for either player depending on who you support, every underlying metric for production and pedigree points towards that for Matthews. Patrick Kane, a consistent PPG+ player now, also capped out at his peak of 106 points in one year. Matthews was pacing for PPG or higher this year prior to the bombardment of injuries and that is WITH Hyman on his wing. Nobody understands just how much of a black hole Hyman is on offence. People talk about McDavid and Maroon, but at least Maroon has decent hands and can crash the net. Hyman routinely misses tap ins and open nets and instead of continuing a play on zone entry, just stops and holds the puck on the boards, giving away possession.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews next contract 10+ mil is why I'd take Mack going forward if the question is who is better I'd say Matthews. But If I can have Mack + Landeskog (contract value of 12 mil) or Matthews and some random third/4th liner 10+2 mil I'll take the first scenario.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I do think Mackinnon and Matthews have a similar ceiling and could end up having Sakic/Yzerman like careers if things go as planned. I voted Mackinnon because I like his offensive game more and he has incredible chemistry with Rantanen. Its basically a wash honestly since Matthews has Nylander. Sure, Matthews is younger and may develop faster in his career, that also means his contract will probably be $4 million higher. Mackinnon's gonna be a threat for top 3-5 in scoring for a while imo, I don't consider this season an anomaly at all.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The question is who do you take going forward? It will be fun to revisit this one.

I hope you realize you're on an island. Only Leaf homer crazies would agree with you that it's not close at all after the season Mackinnon is having. So I guess you are a Leaf homer crazy. Enjoy the title.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The question is who do you take going forward? It will be fun to revisit this one.

Hopefully. Cause if Matthews is ever able to break out as a 1.5ppg player, then that's only going to better the league!

Plus I'm a knicks fan, and the leafs are the knicks of the NHL; so I feel some distant kinship with them. Would be nice for their Porzi to end up godly like the original :yo:

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
MacKinnon today. Matthews tomorrow. There shouldn't be a debate on this. MacKinnon might be a top 3 player in the NHL this year while Matthews was hurt. Still young too. Matthews healthy and continually getting better is a perennial top 5 player and has the higher ceiling. He's already probably the best 5 on 5 goal scorer in the game. So yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad