• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
MacKinnon today. Matthews tomorrow. There shouldn't be a debate on this. MacKinnon might be a top 3 player in the NHL this year while Matthews was hurt. Still young too. Matthews healthy and continually getting better is a perennial top 5 player and has the higher ceiling. He's already probably the best 5 on 5 goal scorer in the game. So yeah.

Nah. MacK is currently at Matthews ceiling

Reactions: 99664987

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
MacKinnon didn't become a top 5 player till this season. We'll see if he's a perennial top 5 guy. I hope so for Team Canada's sake.

What does this have to do with the part of your post I was responding to? How can Matthews have a higher ceiling if MacKinnon is currently playing at Matthews' ceiling?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
I hope you realize you're on an island. Only Leaf homer crazies would agree with you that it's not close at all after the season Mackinnon is having. So I guess you are a Leaf homer crazy. Enjoy the title.

I never said it wasn't close. I replied to a couple Avs fans who said it isn't close. How come you had no problem with those Avs fans comments? Guess where that leaves you? So I guess you are not capable of being impartial when it comes to the Leafs. No worries par for course.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I never said it wasn't close. I replied to a couple Avs fans who said it isn't close. How come you had no problem with those Avs fans comments? Guess where that leaves you? So I guess you are not capable of being impartial when it comes to the Leafs. No worries par for course.

You literally implied it wasn't close:

I told you that Matthews vs Mackinnon was close:

"If you say it's close, then no, my comment isn't overkill. Thanks for proving my point."

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
So let me get this straight:
Matthews > Barkov
Mackinnon > Matthews
Barkov > Mackinnon

How does that make sense?

It's actually hilarious how much HF complains about Leafs fans behaving like "Leafs fans," meanwhile you have a far greater number of just as rabid Leaf haters that nobody apart from Leafs fans ever says anything about.

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Jul 10, 2003
KW
You literally implied it wasn't close:

I told you that Matthews vs Mackinnon was close:

"If you say it's close, then no, my comment isn't overkill. Thanks for proving my point."

That was me agreeing that it's close. The poll should reflect that. How come it doesn't? How come you have no problem with Avs fans making that comment?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Hard decision. Lean toward Matthews by virtue of being a bit younger but they're both hella young so that hardly matters.

That was me agreeing that it's close. The poll should reflect that. How come it doesn't? How come you have no problem with Avs fans making that comment?

If the majority agrees that they are close but Mackinnon is slightly better, the majority will vote Mackinnon and the poll won't necessarily be close. Doesn't mean the players aren't close.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
What does this have to do with the part of your post I was responding to? How can Matthews have a higher ceiling if MacKinnon is currently playing at Matthews' ceiling?

Google the definition of perennial please.

Mackinnon before this season was a 0.69 point per game and 0.25 goals a game.

With his career year totals, MacKinnon career average is now 0.78 with a 0.29 goal per game average.

Matthews career point average is at his age 19 and 20 seasons equate to 0.88 per game and with a goal per game average of 0.5.

Mackinnon generates a lot of shots and yet has been a roughly 9% shooter in his career (less than that before this season) and is now shooting a career high of 15%. Sustainable? Maybe, but his shot rate hasn't really changed his first 4 years, he's good for north of 200 shots a year but all of a sudden they decided to go in this year and now his ceiling is higher than Matthews? Will that continue moving forward?

Matthews is also going to be a better 5 on 5 producer than MacKinnon moving forward (He actually already is but don't tell non Leaf fans that) and once his PP unit starts clicking (they haven't all season and are among the worst in the NHL) we'll never have polls like these again.

In the supposed "MacKinnon is playing at higher than Matthews ceiling overall right now" breakout year (lol), 5 on 5 stats
MacKinnon has 50 even strength points this year in 58 games (0.86 a game)
Matthews has 43 even strength points this year in 53 games (0.81 a game)

MacKinnon has 20 even strength goals in 58 games (0.34 a game)
Matthews has 26 even strength goals in 53 games (0.49 a game)

I'll reiterate, MacKinnon today, deservedly, but as early as next year we can cut the bs lol. You can hate the Leafs but not hate logic. Matthews is on a continuous upward trajectory, is starting to play tougher minutes, has already higher D Zone starts than Mackinnon this season (Matthews 43% D-Zone starts to MacKinnon's 35% D-Zone starts) scores more goals at a better rate than Mackinnon, and produces almost similar points wise EV strength already at 20. To say Matthews doesn't have a higher ceiling just means you let hatred of the Leafs influence your decision making, and depending on your age, seek medical consultation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's actually hilarious how much HF complains about Leafs fans behaving like "Leafs fans," meanwhile you have a far greater number of just as rabid Leaf haters that nobody apart from Leafs fans ever says anything about.
That's because if you hate the Leafs it's ok for those people to never called out on their hypocrisy.

freecheese

Dec 5, 2017
I’ll take MacK, but it could really go either way.

PPG
gPzUWvH.jpg

Reactions: PatrickMcC

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Honestly, this to me is as close as it gets. I'm not even voting here. On one hand, you have a a guy that scored 40 as a rookie and just got through what I consider to be a great season (even though he was injured) in Matthews vs a guy that had a very good rookie season and then got stuck on some truly awful Avs squads before majorly breaking out this year in MacK. Both of these guys are within 3 years ages wise of each other so that's a barely a factor IMO. This is a win/win for both the Avs and Leafs. It will be interesting to see if MacK can continue his play next season and if Matthews continues his upward growth.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly, this to me is as close as it gets. I'm not even voting here. On one hand, you have a a guy that scored 40 as a rookie and just got through what I consider to be a great season (even though he was injured) in Matthews vs a guy that had a very good rookie season and then got stuck on some truly awful Avs squads before majorly breaking out this year in MacK. Both of these guys are within 3 years ages wise of each other so that's a barely a factor IMO. This is a win/win for both the Avs and Leafs. It will be interesting to see if MacK can continue his play next season and if Matthews continues his upward growth.

*2 years ;-)

Reactions: missionAvs

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
A guy in his fifth year in the league vs a guy in his second year in the league. A guy who's first four seasons do not come even remotely close to what the other guy did in his first. A guy who is now having an incredible season vs a guy who is playing very well but struggling with injuries. Mackinnon is arguably the best player in the NHL this year, but I'm taking Matthews.

All of what you say is true. But Matthews may not ever reach the arguable best player in the NHL status. MacKinnon has at least shown that he's capable of doing it. It's going to be very hard for someone to outshine McDavid going forward, and as good as Mathews is, I believe that MacKinnon has a better chance of doing it.

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad