Mackinnon vs Matthews

Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It's actually hilarious how much HF complains about Leafs fans behaving like "Leafs fans," meanwhile you have a far greater number of just as rabid Leaf haters that nobody apart from Leafs fans ever says anything about.
I get a kick out of adults using the word "hater" :laugh:

Reactions: dukeofjive

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Right now I take MacKinnon over Matthews and Eichel.

Especially considering the contracts

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Shouldn't Matthews score more in a whole season than Nate did in ~50 games, before we start comparing him to a potato? Or are we supposed to pretend like development is linear and Matthews is a lock to be a perennial Hart finalist...making it impossible for MacK to be the better of the pair unless he's a Hart finalist year after year as well?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Season 1 +2

Mackinnon 146 gp 38g 101pts
Matthews 144 gp 74g 132pt

Gee, I wonder who I should pick...

I'm not even surprised at the results.
All the basement dwellers on Hfboards would vote for a potato before they'd vote for a Toronto player :laugh:
In this situation the Toronto player isn’t as good at hockey as the other guy tho.

Reactions: cgf

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
In this situation the Toronto player isn’t as good at hockey as the other guy tho.
Based on the comparable data available, he was actually much worse.
I know Mac has turned a corner this year and really broke out but the poll/thread is saying the kid that smoked him in their side-by-side first two seasons won't improve.

Unless you have a crystal ball, how is that logical?

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
61 even strength goals in 1st 144 games for Matthews give me that please

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
They are both hella good and arguing between them is silly
This is silly, people are comparing players in a poll in a hockey discussion board. That is the ENTIRE purpose of this board. Posting that comparing players is silly in a thread/board designed for that purpose is really pointless... in fact this post is entirely a waste of space on the HF servers. ;)

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know Mac has turned a corner this year and really broke out but the poll/thread is saying the kid that smoked him in their side-by-side first two seasons won't improve.

Don’t need a crystal ball to see that one is Hart caliber and the other might be one day. No need to play the victim here, this is just common sense. Not leaf hate.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Who cares about Matthews having the better 20yo season? That doesn't tell us if he'll ever be one of the best players in the league or not. MacKinnon actually being one of the best players in the league this past season, on the other hand, does.

The bolded is not true at all, few people suspect Matthews won't improve. What this poll does call into question is whether he'll ever improve enough to close the gaping chasm between him & the guy who's only two years older.

And doubting that anyone but the McDavid's & Crosby's of the world will ever be Hart-finalists isn't only logical, it's a great bet that pays off 99% of the time.

Reactions: Trilliann

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Now that's leaf hate.

Nah, not everyone is as full of hate as americans. So it's tough for me to evoke that emotion because of the team that someone likes in my 2nd-to-4th favorite sport. Sometimes being smartasses is possible even without that particular fuel ;-)

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Matthews, as he's already scored 40 and proven that last year was not a fluke, but a sign of things to come.

McKinnon needs to do this more than one year to prove it's not an aberration.
I think its not about whether you know who has scored more and change your pick every year for that player but instead who do you would pick over the other and commit and count on that hes the right player and end up having better career/better years for your team. Matthews is younger but Mackinnon is also super young so both achieved alot and will be in the brightest lights of NHL for years to come.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Who cares about Matthews having the better 20yo season? That doesn't tell us if he'll ever be one of the best players in the league or not. MacKinnon actually being one of the best players in the league this past season, on the other hand, does.

The bolded is not true at all, few people suspect Matthews won't improve. What this poll does call into question is whether he'll ever improve enough to close the gaping chasm between him & the guy who's only two years older.

And doubting that anyone but the McDavid's & Crosby's of the world will ever be Hart-finalists isn't only logical, it's a great bet that pays off 99% of the time.
The thing that makes me last through this offseason is that I think Mackinnon can be even better than he was this season. Its almost scary :)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like how MacKinnon was heavily criticised even up until the last off-season, but now everybody's all "oh he was always this good"

Ask MacKinnon to do the same again before comparing him to someone who's consistently producing at a high level

You would think Avs fans would be vindicated by Nate having the season we always said he was capable of, especially after the shit that was spewed in his direction last summer :dunno:

But don’t let that stop you from spinning, I’m sure you lot are thrilled with your high-producing 60 point player ;-)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
You would think Avs fans would be vindicated by Nate having the season we always said he was capable of, especially after the **** that was spewed in his direction last summer :dunno:

But don’t let that stop you from spinning, I’m sure you lot are thrilled with your high-producing 60 point player ;-)

Lots of fans doubted Nate before this season and he was underwhelming. You can't only blame the team for his previously bad performance; Barkov's been doing great for years despite his team and his injuries.

I'm not a Leafs fan

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lots of fans doubted Nate before this season and he was underwhelming. You can't only blame the team for his previously bad performance; Barkov's been doing great for years despite his team and his injuries.

I'm not a Leafs fan

And a ton of Avs fans explained to the stat watchers that pushed that narrative why it was fallacious and ignored all of the immense progress he had made :dunno:

MacK had a fantastic 2016-2017 season, but folks who didn’t watch him tried to argue it was disappointing. So how much weight should we give those critiques?

And ah, my B, just find it odd how “high-producing” has been redefined for Matthews and assumed.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I like how MacKinnon was heavily criticised even up until the last off-season, but now everybody's all "oh he was always this good"

Ask MacKinnon to do the same again before comparing him to someone who's consistently producing at a high level

See, if MacKinnon has put up 70 points this year, I’d get that argument. But he wasn’t just a little better. He was a lot better than Matthews ever has been, and now MacKinnon needs to have multiple Hart level seasons before he can even be COMPARED to a guy who has none? You gotta see that’s ridiculous and heavily biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad