Mackinnon vs Matthews

Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It isn't a dumb comment because you disagree with it. You have failed to even support your argument, except to say others are wrong for having opinions that are different.
it is a dumb comment because you are over exaggerating something that has nothing to do with our conversation. i never said he would be the next toews.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
it is a dumb comment because you are over exaggerating something that has nothing to do with our conversation. i never said he would be the next toews.

No, I'm the one saying it, because this is deja vu.

Toews was "better overall" than other players because of his defensive game. Nevermind the fact that the player he is/was being compared with is vastly out-producing him, and who is no slouch defensively himself.

This is the same crap. It's going to look just as ridiculous in hindsight.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

Toews was "better overall" than other players because of his defensive game. Nevermind the fact that the player he is/was being compared with is vastly out-producing him, and who is no slouch defensively himself.

I definitely agree Matthews is the new Toews.

I will give Chicago fans credit, the hyperbole pretty much centred on only Toews. Where with Leaf fans there does, more often than not, tend to be this need for their player to be the best in class.

Don’t dare rank Rielly below other defense men that year.

Nylander, Marner, Matthews, etc.

It is particularly strong with Matthews though.

Can’t think of another team I know more busted flop prospects for simply because of the thread outrage if they weren’t on a list.

Finn, Percy, Biggs, gauthier, bibeau....I assume these names are hanging from the acc rafters, lol.

Reactions: blinds

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Both Mackinnon and Matthews are having very lucky 5v5 oish% this season. Matthews the 2nd most, MacKinnon the 4th most.
Both Mackinnon and Matthews putting top-5 5v5 pts/60 in the league. Mackinnon the 1st with 3.26, Matthews 5th with 2.86 (behind McDavid, Barzal, Kucherov).
Why the big difference in points this season you may ask? I mean Matthews putting up a pace similar to Kucherov/Barzal/McDavid but isn't close to them in points right? --> Injuries + PP points. Matthews has an unlucky season on the PP, having 3.5 pts/60 while Mackinnon/McDavid/Kucherov have league-highs 7.55 pts/60 and above. His entire PP unit has been garbage but Babcock is keeping them together since the Marner unit is red-hot.

This season is an anomaly. I love Mackinnon and Matthews though. I would like to say I was one of the few that believed Mackinnon was MUCH better than he was getting credited for (It was obvious IMO with the context he was put in, happens to many players). But the production and pace at 5v5 they're going at is unsustainable BUT achievable in the future if/as they develop in this league

They will be top-10 Cs in the league for many years to come for sure. I take Mackinnon for this season clearly, I take Matthews going forward.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Don't forget the Matthews is Generational label that was shoved down our throats too. Or that Matthews> McDavid and would out score him.

Now I'm not saying all Leafs fans said that, but there were definitely quite a few who did.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Im surprised Mackinnon is winning this. He is having a hell of a season, but is just one year, and he is 3 years older. I'd take Matthews.

I think he is more of a sure thing, and is better defensively

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Don't forget the Matthews is Generational label that was shoved down our throats too. Or that Matthews> McDavid and would out score him.

Now I'm not saying all Leafs fans said that, but there were definitely quite a few who did.

Yeah, it's all a lot of hyperbole.

It's just a matter of time until we hear "He could score more if he wanted to, but he focuses on D."

Which doesn't mean he isn't a great player. He absolutely is. I'm just not prepared to anoint him the top young player in the league until, well, you know, he shows he is. I think his realistic ceiling is a 75-80 point two-way player, and one of the better goal scorers. If he accomplishes that, that's an elite level, no doubt.

I just think guys like McDavid, and what we're seeing from MacKinnon(and I absolutely think MacKinnon can be a 100-point player in the future too; he is that kind of talent IMO), are at the top.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
111 pts over 82 game span? Ya, probably. I think that's Mack's ceiling too though.

Both of them could have great careers & be remembered as franchise legends without every hitting the level MacK is at this season. Literally.

How well MacK is playing is special and this avs fan is just appreciating & enjoying every moment of the ride. This is the faster & more creative Roenick I first saw in MacK, and during his rookie season said would beat even McDavid for an Art Ross at least once in his career :yo:
yah he was drafted as a two-way star for sure

I know you think this is sarcasm and that MacKinnon actually isn't a good two-way player...which is why it's funny
Im surprised Mackinnon is winning this. He is having a hell of a season, but is just one year, and he is 3 years older. I'd take Matthews.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
[snip]
Edit: Personally, I think MacKinnon will be the better player when it's all said and done. Development isn't a straight line. Players develop at different rates, and they play in different environments that can contribute to that development. Maybe MacKinnon doesn't repeat this season, but I don't think he has to if he's going to stay the better player.
[snip]

A lot of great things in this post, but I just had to quote this part on its because this. Sooooo much this. Development is not linear, so this could just be the new MacKinnon...or it could be a Heatley-esque peak before he crashes down to being just another top line player. But what will happen with his career moving forward is going to determine that, not how he got here.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
nice try.

Matthews +++++

Actually we will just take both cause we like Matthews I wanna see the kid make bank off of merch.

Heck Nylander or Marner will likely out merch uhhh whomever that other guy was in the polls again? I forget his name.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actually we will just take both cause we like Matthews I wanna see the kid make bank off of merch.

Heck Nylander or Marner will likely out merch uhhh whomever that other guy was in the polls again? I forget his name.

How much will it hurt you personally when Matthews never become as good as Forsberg was or as big of a star? :sarcasm:

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

Who hurt you?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
How much will it hurt you personally when Matthews never become as good as Forsberg was or as big of a star? :sarcasm:

Forsberg? The Phildelphia Flyer? If Matthews just gets close to his level I would be happier then a pig in shit!

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Matthews, as he's already scored 40 and proven that last year was not a fluke, but a sign of things to come.

McKinnon needs to do this more than one year to prove it's not an aberration.

Let me make sure I undertand correctly?? Matthews 1 year makes him legit and Mckinnons 1 year does not? Is that correct?

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017

Hes 2 years older... Matthews is a 97 and Mackinnon is a 95

Last edited by a moderator:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Let me make sure I undertand correctly?? Matthews 1 year makes him legit and Mckinnons 1 year does not? Is that correct?

No, it's not correct.

It's McKinnon's other four years scoring 63, 38, 52 and 53 points that gives me pause.

Matthews is absolutely excelling from the get-go. And McKinnon started out nicely too. But then three years of so-so numbers makes him NOT a slam dunk yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad