Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
recency bias, but 76 points in 56 games
is a stronger argument than 40 goals last season

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Matthews, as he's already scored 40 and proven that last year was not a fluke, but a sign of things to come.

McKinnon needs to do this more than one year to prove it's not an aberration.

If MacK does repeat this, then it's gotta be him without question though. We don't know if Matthews will ever even have even one season like the one MacK is having, much less have this be a consistent thing.
recency bias, but 76 points in 56 games
is a stronger argument than 40 goals last season

And that's with only 5 points in those first 10 games before MacK took off. Since then he has 71 points in 46 games; Matthews hasn't yet hit 71 points in a full season.

Last edited:
Reactions: The S5 and Peggy

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
76 points in 56 games, even though scoring is up, is something that just doesn't happen that often in today's game.

Reactions: lawrence

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Even if you feel they're comparable going forward, Mackinnon making just over 6 mil a year for I think another 5 or 6 years is just too good to pass up, especially when Matthews will likely get over 10

Reactions: Kschey

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A guy in his fifth year in the league vs a guy in his second year in the league. A guy who's first four seasons do not come even remotely close to what the other guy did in his first. A guy who is now having an incredible season vs a guy who is playing very well but struggling with injuries. Mackinnon is arguably the best player in the NHL this year, but I'm taking Matthews.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A guy in his fifth year in the league vs a guy in his second year in the league. A guy who's first four seasons do not come even remotely close to what the other guy did in his first. A guy who is now having an incredible season vs a guy who is playing very well but struggling with injuries. Mackinnon is arguably the best player in the NHL this year, but I'm taking Matthews.

You are aware that they had nearly identical rookie seasons despite MacK being almost a year younger, correct?

73 points in 89 games for MacKinnon vs 74 points in 88 games for Matthews; MacK had a rough & injury ravaged sophomore season, before the wrist/hand injury ended the PPG pace he started his third season at & then last season's catatraf***; but they had almost identical rookie years and MacK has now hit a level that Matthews could have a great career without ever hitting.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
You are aware that they had nearly identical rookie seasons despite MacK being almost a year younger, correct?

73 points in 89 games for MacKinnon vs 74 points in 88 games for Matthews; MacK had a rough & injury ravaged sophomore season, before injuries ended the PPG pace he started his third season at, but they had almost identical rookie years and MacK has now hit a level that Matthews could have a great career without ever hitting.

Mackinnon had an excellent rookie season where he scored 63 points (24g, 39a), but don't try and tell me that it was "nearly" identical to Matthews scoring 69 points with 40g. I don't know why you would bring up age, because if you want to compare age equivalent seasons, Mackinnon's 38p in 64 games (which paces out 49p) is very clearly behind. Your guy has had four years in the league where he was clearly behind Matthews in just about every conceivable aspect of the game. This year he has blossomed into an unreal superstar but that doesn't change that you're comparing your guy in his career year (so far) to our guy in an injury plagued sophomore season. It is actually possible that Mackinnon might stay the best player in the league for the next 10 years and Matthews may never hit the high that Mack has. Sure, possible.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mackinnon had an excellent rookie season where he scored 63 points (24g, 39a), but don't try and tell me that it was "nearly" identical to Matthews scoring 69 points with 40g. I don't know why you would bring up age, because if you want to compare age equivalent seasons, Mackinnon's 38p in 64 games (which paces out 49p) is very clearly behind. Your guy has had four years in the league where he was clearly behind Matthews in just about every conceivable aspect of the game. This year he has blossomed into an unreal superstar but that doesn't change that you're comparing your guy in his career year (so far) to our guy in an injury plagued sophomore season. It is actually possible that Mackinnon might stay the best player in the league for the next 10 years and Matthews may never hit the high that Mack has. Sure, possible.

You're not using their entire rookie seasons. Matthews had 1 more point (regular season + playoffs) in one less game (also regular season + playoffs). That is nearly identical.

And I brought up MacK's age to remind people of the raw talent he has always had. His experience is being used against him with the implication that he's only better now because of the extra polish that he has gotten which Matthews has yet to benefit from...but the fact that MacK was just as good, despite being a year younger, when he entered the league & started to get that polish should illustrate that their raw talent was very comparable even before both started getting their talent polished in the NHL.

Hopefully that made sense, though re-reading it I'm not so sure that it'll be as clear to others as it is in my head...

PS and I meant that Matthews could never match the single season that MacK is currently having, and still have had a really successful career that noone can complain about. That's how incredible MacKinnon is right now. He could stay an elite player (top 5-10) for the next 15 years and never have a season like this again.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You're ignoring their entire rookie seasons. Matthews had 1 more point in one less game. That is nearly identical.

And I brought up MacK's age to remind people of the raw talent he has always had. His experience is being used against him with the implication that he's only better now because of the extra polish that he has gotten which Matthews has yet to benefit from...but the fact that MacK was just as good, despite being a year younger, when he entered the league & started to get that polish should illustrate that their raw talent was very comparable even before both started getting their talent polished in the NHL.

Hopefully that made sense, though re-reading it I'm not so sure that it'll be as clear to others as it is in my head...
they were nearly identical in terms of raw numbers, but MacKinnon benefited from a way higher oish% and was 4th on his team in points and goals, rather than 1st like Matthews. Goal scoring also wasn't close. And Matthews was in the top 20 in points, Mac wasn't even in the top 30

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
they were nearly identical in terms of raw numbers, but MacKinnon benefited from a way higher oish% and was 4th on his team in points and goals, rather than 1st like Matthews. Goal scoring also wasn't close. And Matthews was in the top 20 in points, Mac wasn't even in the top 30

Matthews also didn't have to start his rookie season on the third line centering McGinn & Parenteau before being paired with talented players, nor did Matthews' break Gretzky's record for longest rookie pointstreak or go over PPG in the playoffs when his team needed him most *dunno*

I'm not saying MacK's rookie year was better or more impressive, only that they were comparable...especially when accounting for MacK being almost a whole year younger & less physically developed.

Reactions: Kschey

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews also didn't have to start his rookie season on the third line centering McGinn & Parenteau before being paired with talented players, nor did Matthews' break Gretzky's record for longest rookie pointstreak or go over PPG in the playoffs when his team needed him most *dunno*

I'm not saying MacK's rookie year was better or more impressive, only that they were comparable...especially when accounting for MacK being almost a whole year younger & less physically developed.
Matthews didn't start the year with scrubs, but he did play 40% of the year with Hyman and Brown as his linemates

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
They are both incredible, its a win win. Only difference that I can really notice is one is signed to an incredible deal long term and the other is coming off his ELC and will likely get paid far more.

I don't think it'll matter which one is "better" as they will both be Elite stars which is what you need.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Mackinnon is having a hell of a year in his 4th yr. So let's compare him to Matthews who in his second year has run into injury trouble...makes sense.
Matthews is a top goal scoring center and a beast defensively. I take Matthews.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mackinnon is having a hell of a year in his 4th yr. So let's compare him to Matthews who in his second year has run into injury trouble...makes sense.
Matthews is a top goal scoring center and a beast defensively. I take Matthews.

In case you didn't notice the other 50 threads, MacKinnon is getting compared to errybody

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I still take Matthews but I've always been a huge fan of MacKinnon and I'm glad he's having such a dominant year. hope it continues into the postseason

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
The only player in the league a GM would trade Mack for at this point is McDavid. And with their contract disparities, it would be 1 for 1.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
MacKinnon easily, although he needs to prove he can do this for years to come. Matthews needs to do that too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad