Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson leaving the organization

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
If the rumour that he was offered the HC role when MacLean was fired, but rejected it because he wanted to stay close to his daughter until she finished school is true, I can understand why he made this decision.

I feel like Murray actually said that in the presser at the time. Am I wrong? I remember feeling like it was sort of a strange thing to say considering Cameron was being announced as HC (ie, Here's our SECOND choice: Dave Cameron!).

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That was for last year. His daughter was finishing university and he didn't want to leave until then.

Rumour has it that he turned down the Sens interim HC position when Maclean was fired and he also turned down the Sabres HC gig for the same reason. I respect him for putting his family first.

I understand he lost a daughter but isn't it rather rare that a father puts his career and perhaps millions on the table to stay with his adult daughter in her senior year of university? Wouldn't one year away give him his career, while also giving his adult daughter a year on her own on her last year of university?

To each their own, I just don't see that very often where a father refuses promotions while their kid is in college. I guess the daughter wanted him here? I feel most 22 year olds? Would be like "ok, leave me alone dad!" Lol.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I understand he lost a daughter but isn't it rather rare that a father puts his career and perhaps millions on the table to stay with his adult daughter in her senior year of university? Wouldn't one year away give him his career, while also giving his adult daughter a year on her own on her last year of university?

To each their own, I just don't see that very often where a father refuses promotions while their kid is in college. I guess the daughter wanted him here? I feel most 22 year olds? Would be like "ok, leave me alone dad!" Lol.

I can tell you for sure that there was a coaching job he turned down to stay near his daughter but I didn't get what team.

I don't want to put the source out as it ties into my job and could get in a lot of trouble for listening in on conversations I shouldn't be.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

To look at it another way, isn't it nice he put his family ahead of his career? I mean, he still had a job in Binghamton, so it's not like he wasn't coaching, and he was close to his daughter. Win win situation.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
To look at it another way, isn't it nice he put his family ahead of his career? I mean, he still had a job in Binghamton, so it's not like he wasn't coaching, and he was close to his daughter. Win win situation.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just odd. I have a lot of friends with retired parents when they started university. Their parents did not follow them to whatever city they went to school even though it could have been done.

I wonder if his daughter wanted that?.

I imagine most adults in senior year of university want Independence and their own place.

It might be different for girls, but I moved out after college, but decided to go back to university and moved back home for financial reasons. Do you know how hard it is to pick up in your 20s while you live with mom and dad?

I wonder if his daughter wanted him around, or he wanted to be around his daughter, or both.

I imagine women and men deal with stuff differently. My sisters for example, love to know everything going on with their families, and can spend hours looking at our cousin's new baby pictures. While most of my guy friends are like "God my mom's so annoying, I just want to go get drunk with my friends, she won't stop asking me questions!" Lol

If i was going away for school, i know i wouldn't want my parents following me. I'd want to take that time to learn how to become an adult. Pay bills. Buy groceries. Learn how to make proper meals. etc. Instead i'm immature while my parents make me dinner. lol I feel like being around your parents too much in your 20s can also stunt your maturity. While i live at home and finish school, i don't see myself maturing because aside from having my own car, everything else is like it was in highschool. I havent matured in years other than those 6 months i moved out.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I can tell you for sure that there was a coaching job he turned down to stay near his daughter but I didn't get what team.

I don't want to put the source out as it ties into my job and could get in a lot of trouble for listening in on conversations I shouldn't be.

I heard buffalo. And i don't get that decision. I guess it's one of those things where i would have to walk in his shoes to understand. Especially considering she only had 1 year left.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm not saying it's bad, it's just odd. I have a lot of friends with retired parents when they started university. Their parents did not follow them to whatever city they went to school even though it could have been done.

I imagine most adults in senior year of university want Independence and their own place.

It might be different for girls, but I moved out after college, but decided to go back to university and moved back home for financial reasons. Do you know how hard it is to pick up in your 20s while you live with mom and dad?

I wonder if his daughter wanted him around, or he wanted to be around his daughter, or both.

I imagine women and men deal with stuff differently. My sisters for example, love to know everything going on with their families, and can spend hours looking at our cousin's new baby pictures. While most of my guy friends are like "God my mom's so annoying, I just want to go get drunk with my friends, she won't stop asking me questions!" Lol

If i was going away for school, i know i wouldn't want my parents following me. I'd want to take that time to learn how to become an adult. Pay bills. Buy groceries. Learn how to make proper meals. etc. Instead i'm immature while my parents make me dinner. lol I feel like being around your parents too much in your 20s can also stunt your maturity. While i live at home and finish school, i don't see myself maturing because aside from having my own car, everything else is like it was in highschool. I havent matured in years other than those 6 months i moved out.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but all families are different. I've worked with people who were close to 30 still living at home with no intention of moving out on their own anytime in the near future.

I think what's important to remember is the Richardson family went through something most families don't go through. I imagine their oldest daughter was close to being done high school when her little sister died. An event that tragic probably makes you closer as a family. I would have to imagine it would anyway. I don't think it's fair to compare their family to yours, mine or anyone we know that hasn't gone through that type of tragedy, because it's different from our families. I have never lost an immediate family member. Most of us probably haven't or at least we didn't lose a sibling when we were teenagers.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but all families are different. I've worked with people who were close to 30 still living at home with no intention of moving out on their own anytime in the near future.

I think what's important to remember is the Richardson family went through something most families don't go through. I imagine their oldest daughter was close to being done high school when her little sister died. An event that tragic probably makes you closer as a family. I would have to imagine it would anyway. I don't think it's fair to compare their family to yours, mine or anyone we know that hasn't gone through that type of tragedy, because it's different from our families. I have never lost an immediate family member. Most of us probably haven't or at least we didn't lose a sibling when we were teenagers.

Very true. I can't imagine what they went through.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I figure, if Richardson had stayed with the organization, the new head coach likely would've selected him as an assistant. In a way, it's his loss. That's business, though. He was given at least one chance in Ottawa to move up, and possibly other chance elsewhere, and refused. Opportunity only comes knocking a limited number of times.

Personally, I want to see Bingo focus more on skill development and pushing skill, speed, exciting hockey. Not making a bunch of grinders.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

How the **** do you know what is odd when it comes to someone else's life decisions. Some of you people in this thread :facepalm:
You really spent time typing that post? Trying to analyze someone's decision. someone you know nothing about?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I figure, if Richardson had stayed with the organization, the new head coach likely would've selected him as an assistant. In a way, it's his loss. That's business, though. He was given at least one chance in Ottawa to move up, and possibly other chance elsewhere, and refused. Opportunity only comes knocking a limited number of times.

Personally, I want to see Bingo focus more on skill development and pushing skill, speed, exciting hockey. Not making a bunch of grinders.

I would have liked to have seen him here working with our defence. I find it odd that he seems to be ruling out an assistant coaching position in the NHL. Currently there is only one head coaching job open and he's not being considered for it. That said, I don't want to judge him. He has the right to do what he wants.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
How the **** do you know what is odd when it comes to someone else's life decisions. Some of you people in this thread :facepalm:
You really spent time typing that post? Trying to analyze someone's decision. someone you know nothing about?

It's odd because it doesn't happen a lot. Why are you so angry?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not exactly 100% sure who this guy is, but he does blog regularly about the Binghamton Senators. Here is his comment on Richardson:

For anyone paying attention to how Richardson ran his lines and ran his team he was a complete disaster. He consistently failed to learn from his mistakes, praised the wrong players, and failed at his most important job: development. As an AHL coach there are always going to be players so talented that the coach is irrelevant, and there will always be players so awful no one can save them, but there’s no example of a marginal player who got better under Richardson. Prospects flatlined or declined under his ministration, as Richardson favoured grinders and aging veterans over talent and this season was by far the best example of that. I could go on about his poor choices and unwillingness to learn or accept responsibility for anything, but there’s no point in beating a dead horse (I go over some of it here). Richardson will have no problem getting assistant coaching jobs around the league, but no one with any sense is ever going to give him a head coaching position again.

Instead of listening to our Ottawa media gush about how wonderful everything is all the time, maybe start we need to start reading informed opinions of people who actually watch the games.

The site is eyeonthesens.com if anyone is interested. Guy does a weekly write up on the Sens farm system. Its quite enjoyable, cause he doesn't pull any punches.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Here is a little more insight from the same site's end of year review of the B-Sens.

Maybe the dude just has a vendetta against Richardson :sarcasm: but, who knows. Its always good to at least see an opinion from someone who watches the games instead of our local media praising Richardson for everything.

Coaching
What impact has Luke Richardson had on this team? All I see are negatives: splitting his dynamic top line was not only disastrous, but he stuck with it long after that was apparent; He sat Lindberg for no reason whatsoever (it even raised the eyebrows of Pierre Dorion); his team takes a ridiculous number of penalties, but despite talking about cutting down on them he’s done nothing to punish players for continuing to do so; his special teams are terrible–the PP percentage is higher than it deserves and there’s no reason for Stortini to be trotted out there to fumble around on the ice; the PK is inexcusable; he doesn’t understand the talent he has: Alex Wideman isn’t an AHL player, but he inserted him into the lineup; Tuzzolino isn’t an AHL player, but not only played but was praised while in the lineup; even though he’s stuck with Fraser there’s no reason to play him top minutes; Robinson has both been scratched and played on the fourth line when he’s far better than other players who haven’t missed a game. Need more be said? He even offered up a turkey of an excuse for the team’s awful record by complaining about callups and suspensions rather than errors (particularly his own–the buck should stop with him). You have a guy who doesn’t force his players to be responsible and doesn’t understand how to use his players–the jury is in and it’s time for Richardson to go (although I don’t believe that will happen).

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not exactly 100% sure who this guy is, but he does blog regularly about the Binghamton Senators. Here is his comment on Richardson:

For anyone paying attention to how Richardson ran his lines and ran his team he was a complete disaster. He consistently failed to learn from his mistakes, praised the wrong players, and failed at his most important job: development. As an AHL coach there are always going to be players so talented that the coach is irrelevant, and there will always be players so awful no one can save them, but there’s no example of a marginal player who got better under Richardson. Prospects flatlined or declined under his ministration, as Richardson favoured grinders and aging veterans over talent and this season was by far the best example of that. I could go on about his poor choices and unwillingness to learn or accept responsibility for anything, but there’s no point in beating a dead horse (I go over some of it here). Richardson will have no problem getting assistant coaching jobs around the league, but no one with any sense is ever going to give him a head coaching position again.

Instead of listening to our Ottawa media gush about how wonderful everything is all the time, maybe start we need to start reading informed opinions of people who actually watch the games.

The site is eyeonthesens.com if anyone is interested. Guy does a weekly write up on the Sens farm system. Its quite enjoyable, cause he doesn't pull any punches.

I'd be a lot more inclined to put stock into this opinion if there weren't such a long list of players who have at least shown they can play in the NHL after spending some time in Bingo. The author is right that talent will get you far, but players like McCormick and Dzingel show that the B-Sens are fine developmentally, if not statistically or standings-ly.

Othello*

I believe it. Thank you.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
When is he leaving, IE is he in the process of leaving? Or ... Has he left?

Either way. He is what he is. He did what he did and he is going or gone... Thanks a lot goodbye. What he did or didn't do to any poster, blogger's satisfaction is really quite pointless now.

Any word on who are the candidates or on the process to replace him?

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
What does this have to do with Richardson?

Prince getting shipped off literally had nothing to do with Richardson, and it's pretty clear he is a capable NHL player judging on his playoff appearances with the Isles.

Hammond was an average AHL starter who caught fire at the right time and has been able to adjust into a mediocre (.914 sv% v. .915 league average) backup. His performances at the NHL level don't correlate to anything in Bingo.

Robinson regressed? Not really, he was a half-point-per-game guy in NCAA and a solid middle-6 AHL forward. He was never going to be more.

It's not as though a guy like Puempel is an elite-end talent that should be 'expected' to break out at the NHL level in his early-20s, LOL.

Letting Richardson go is a mistake; no big-name coach will sign with the Sens if he has any other options. Hell, right now Marc Crawford--who's been out of the league for what, four years--is phoning the team seeing it as his 'in' back into the league. It's a job nobody wants, and I know I'm in the minority but I think Richardson would've been a great choice as head coach. Knows the constraints of this organization, has a working relationship with many of the current players on the Sens, etc.

Whatever. Hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Interesting take. Was listening to Dreger talk today about how enticing coaching Ottawa would be for most coaches. And really, they don't have any other choices. Ottawa is the only team that fired their coach.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Interesting take. Was listening to Dreger talk today about how enticing coaching Ottawa would be for most coaches. And really, they don't have any other choices. Ottawa is the only team that fired their coach.

Yeah, we could still see a few more coaching casualties, but I think this summer will have the record for fewest coaches fired. There are only 30 of these jobs, and you have young guys trying to get their first shot at it, older guys who are trying to get back into the league after being gone for a while, and guys who have been recently fired. Maybe Ottawa wouldn't be the first choice for some of them, but beggars can't be choosers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad