Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson leaving the organization

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
One less tie to the Murray regime in the org. No danger he'll coach us, another plus.

Good luck to Luke, a very decent person whom I'm sure will help another org in the future.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I always thought Richardson made sense as the AHL coach when we had Maclean, and they were running significantly similar systems. We wanted to have a parallel teaching philosophy at all levels. That kind of got off-track once Cameron got the job.

Clearly, we aren't limiting our wholesale coaching purge to just the NHL level...

I look forward to our new Head Coach having some input into who will replace Richardson. Find our NHL guy, THEN get an AHL guy once you know what kind of system we'll have in place.

This should be the play and I would maybe add in decide what optimal type of system a team should play to win and then adjust the personnel to fit this winning system (remove guys if need be) moving forward then proceed to find a coach who can install said system. The less desired option would be to select a system that works to the current group's strengths and proceed with hiring the NHL guy then the AHL guy.

Lately though it seems this team likes to do things the hard way so I guess buckle up!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Look forward to seeing a new ahl coach that can help the defense

I imagine the bigest help Bingo could get for the defense is some good players. Claesson and Kostka were pretty much it.

Compare Bingo's D when Richards arrived to this past season:

Benoit (28), Wiercioch (21), Wideman (21), Borowiecki (23), Gryba (24) Eckford (26) Claesson (19).

That's 7 guys and the worst of them was just on the bubble of becoming an NHL player. You can add a few games of Cowen, Ceci, Lebda, to the mix as well.

Now, he has this:

Claesson (22), Kostka (29), Lipine(28), Mullen(29), Carlisle(20), Leduc(23), Fraser(28), Harpur(20), Tuzzolino(29)

Out of that group, the best of them are tweeners. To me at least, it's a night and day difference.

Have to wonder if this would be the unspecified 'new role in the organization' for Jason Smith.

I can't imagine we'd go "cheap" for our AHL HC as the salary at that level can't possibly be prohibitive, I can't see us thinking Smith is a future star coach, so why not raid the CHL for someone to groom our future guys.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is an opportunity for Dorion to make this his team. Luke probably knew he wasn't likely going to get a chance with the Sens seeing as the new coach they hire is going to be "allowed" to bring in their own staff.

How the team is run can't be a positive either.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Kinda thought he'd make a good Defense/assistant coach for the Sens. Oh well, I wish him success at his next venture. I met him once, a really nice dude.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The reality is we tried to set up a coaching culture and it failed. Maybe if MacLean or Cameron had worked out for several years before being fired - Richardson might have been an option.

Unfortunately both had spectacular flameouts. Promotion is not really an option.

Am not saying if he should coach there or not but they did off Smith another spot in the organization. if it isn't coaching what else what it be?

A job keeping track of players in the offseason or training with players in Ottawa or helping young guys adjust to life and pace in the NHL.

Maintenance workers for machines. Except he would be maintaining players/prospects people. The guy has a ton of NHL experience. He could offer advice/insight and help players prepare better.

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I imagine the bigest help Bingo could get for the defense is some good players. Claesson and Kostka were pretty much it.

Mark Fraser has 290 NHL games and is a 29 year old vet, I think he counts for something. Mike Sdao was part of the D for most of the year. We had Patrick Mullen and Conner Allen for a while, for some reason they didn't fit and were traded. Allen was acquired in a trade then traded away.

We've had a few years where on paper our D should have been very good but wasn't.

I think Luke is a very good person but I don't think he's a great coach. The only times he's done anything with Bingo is when we were absolutely loaded with talent, even then his teams got bounced 1st round.

He's provided a bunch of head scratching moves over the years...

Personally I'm happy he's moving on. Our team and room were a disaster this year, need a wholesale change and start fresh.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
A job keeping track of players in the offseason or training with players in Ottawa or helping young guys adjust to life and pace in the NHL.

Maintenance workers for machines. Except he would be maintaining players/prospects people. The guy has a ton of NHL experience. He could offer advice/insight and help players prepare better.

I'm 90% sure Shean Donovan already does that for the Sens.

Before moving down to be a coach, Jason Smith was Director of Personnel or something like that, so perhaps he will work with Donovan to help develop prospects.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I always thought Richardson made sense as the AHL coach when we had Maclean, and they were running significantly similar systems. We wanted to have a parallel teaching philosophy at all levels. That kind of got off-track once Cameron got the job.

Clearly, we aren't limiting our wholesale coaching purge to just the NHL level...

I look forward to our new Head Coach having some input into who will replace Richardson. Find our NHL guy, THEN get an AHL guy once you know what kind of system we'll have in place.

Richardson mentioned how helpful Maclean was tor him and how well they worked together when they interviewed him after Cameron got turfed.

I bet one of the reasons Murray stepped out of the GM role is that he would have had a hard time letting Richardson and Walmsley go.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Pretty sure if Murray stayed on as GM this would have been his guy, anyone else agree?

Sad to see Luke go though he did a great job down in Binghamton and hopefully he'll make his mark on an NHL bench soon

This almost certainly implies Dorion wants a guy with experience will be interesting to see who he pursues

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Compare Bingo's D when Richards arrived to this past season:

Benoit (28), Wiercioch (21), Wideman (21), Borowiecki (23), Gryba (24) Eckford (26) Claesson (19).

That's 7 guys and the worst of them was just on the bubble of becoming an NHL player. You can add a few games of Cowen, Ceci, Lebda, to the mix as well.

Now, he has this:

Claesson (22), Kostka (29), Lipine(28), Mullen(29), Carlisle(20), Leduc(23), Fraser(28), Harpur(20), Tuzzolino(29)

Out of that group, the best of them are tweeners. To me at least, it's a night and day difference.

I can't imagine we'd go "cheap" for our AHL HC as the salary at that level can't possibly be prohibitive, I can't see us thinking Smith is a future star coach, so why not raid the CHL for someone to groom our future guys.

Even when bingo was good they still had some poor defensive play. With Grant, Mullen, Ceci, Ekford, Boro, Wideman and Claessan they were one of only 2 teams in the bottom ten for GA to make the playoffs. Both bingo and the other team were eliminated in the first round.

Richardson coached for four years.

2013-2013 4th best
2013-2014 10th worst
2014-2015 league worst
2015-2016 5th worst

It goes beyond just the talent he has on the defensive end

When they were league worst they had Johnson, Wideman, Grant, Mullen and Claessan
Side note... i also found it irritating that Richardson would use stortini on the pp

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No disrespect to Richardson but I'm not sad to see him go

Bingo underachieved with him when the team had plenty of talent and the team absolutely sucked when it was lacking in skill

I'm curious to see if he'll get a shot at coaching in the NHL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mark Fraser has 290 NHL games and is a 29 year old vet, I think he counts for something. Mike Sdao was part of the D for most of the year. We had Patrick Mullen and Conner Allen for a while, for some reason they didn't fit and were traded. Allen was acquired in a trade then traded away.

We've had a few years where on paper our D should have been very good but wasn't.

I think Luke is a very good person but I don't think he's a great coach. The only times he's done anything with Bingo is when we were absolutely loaded with talent, even then his teams got bounced 1st round.

He's provided a bunch of head scratching moves over the years...

Personally I'm happy he's moving on. Our team and room were a disaster this year, need a wholesale change and start fresh.

Yeah, I'm not saying that the team should have expected to be as bad as it was defensively based on the roster, just that the difference from Richardson's first year and this year imo is staggaring. Fraser imo doesn't count for much, 290 NHL games was about 250 more than most guys of his talent get imo.

You've certainly seen more of his puzzling decisions than I, and I'll take your word for it, but when I saw this years roster for Bingo going into the season, I didn't expect much. Lots of turnover, losing some key pieces, and young inexperience goaltending is a recipe for a bad season. Hopefully, next season will see a bit iof turnaround, Englund should be a nice addition to the team, but I don't see a lot of other help on the way to be honest.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Count me in as being skeptical of his skills or future. What did he accomplish in Bingo?Much less than Kurt Kleinendorst who many of us panicked about leaving the org...

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Luke is a victim of timing and the fact that other first year coaches before him have failed in making the transition. It is a business after all. It would have been easy to offer Luke the HC job and see where the cards fall but we have been down this road too many times. Luke will get his shot and Dorion will have to answer for his next head coaching decision.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd like to see them poach an AHL assistant to see if he can cut it as a HC.

Someone like Todd Gill from Stockton. He's done great things from junior a to the OHL and to the AHL. Known to be a solid players coach and has a good IQ for the game. Local guy too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad