Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson leaving the organization

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
aw that is too bad. Ideally he's an assistant in Ottawa, but I get why that won't happen. Best of luck to Luke and his family. A real great guy and his work of course is much appreciated.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The wording used makes me believe he was told he wouldn't get a shot at the coaching job in Ottawa and decided to leave rather than stay in Bingo longer.

Likely, I agree.
I bet you all the bingo players have nothing but good things to say about him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The wording used makes me believe he was told he wouldn't get a shot at the coaching job in Ottawa and decided to leave rather than stay in Bingo longer.

That's most likely exactly what happened.

My guess is that they offered him the job in the past (when Cameron was hired and he had declined) and now he was ready for it and expected to get a shot at it but the management group didn't have interest in hiring him as HC.

I'm fine with it, hiring another coach with no NHL coaching experience would just be repeating the same old story once again and for Richardsson it's also understandable that he wants a shot in the big league.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I always thought Richardson made sense as the AHL coach when we had Maclean, and they were running significantly similar systems. We wanted to have a parallel teaching philosophy at all levels. That kind of got off-track once Cameron got the job.

Clearly, we aren't limiting our wholesale coaching purge to just the NHL level...

I look forward to our new Head Coach having some input into who will replace Richardson. Find our NHL guy, THEN get an AHL guy once you know what kind of system we'll have in place.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
After everything that went down in the past month, there was no way LR steps in as head coach in Ottawa. And PD basically said that a new coach can pick his staff (I think?) so it's unlikely that they would want Luke.
He'll catch on somewhere.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He wouldn't have left Bingo to come to Ottawa to be the HC would he? I thought he had said he would rather stay there to be close to his family?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
He wouldn't have left Bingo to come to Ottawa to be the HC would he? I thought he had said he would rather stay there to be close to his family?

That was for last year. His daughter was finishing university and he didn't want to leave until then.

Rumour has it that he turned down the Sens interim HC position when Maclean was fired and he also turned down the Sabres HC gig for the same reason. I respect him for putting his family first.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Disappointed. Not sure what was he expecting after allowing most goals in AHL over the last 2 seasons.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That was for last year. His daughter was finishing university and he didn't want to leave until then.

Rumour has it that he turned down the Sens interim HC position when Maclean was fired and he also turned down the Sabres HC gig for the same reason. I respect him for putting his family first.

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
sucks to see him go

but good news is that dorion wasnt forced to go with the easiest hire for HC

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's for the best. He needs to be on an NHL team as an assistant for a year or two before moving up to head coach at the NHL level.

Timing seems a bit strange....unless he knows some more coaching positions are going to open up at the NHL level soon.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good guy, good coach. Apparently he's going to Columbus to replace Hartsburg. He was the Captain of the Blue Jackets so it's a good fit.

Cheers Luke, thanks for everything. Especially for knocking out Brandon Dubinski, still my favorite Sens fight of all time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I always thought Richardson made sense as the AHL coach when we had Maclean, and they were running significantly similar systems. We wanted to have a parallel teaching philosophy at all levels. That kind of got off-track once Cameron got the job.

Clearly, we aren't limiting our wholesale coaching purge to just the NHL level...

I look forward to our new Head Coach having some input into who will replace Richardson. Find our NHL guy, THEN get an AHL guy once you know what kind of system we'll have in place.

Agree. Might have been ok as an assistant with the Sens , but obviously he wants the top gig. I think it could be a good thing overall if the new "experienced" Sens coach can have a hand in the Bingo replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00