Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson leaving the organization

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ottawa's missing the boat with this guy. Should have gotten a chance.

raft.gif

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
He had absolute garbage to work with in Bingo though.

This seems to be the default line of thinking when it comes to Richardson's tenure as HC. But I don't know why that's the more obvious thought to have instead of him being an incapable coach.

Where has the player development been while this guy has been head coach?

Puempel hasn't broken through yet. Prince was shipped off. Hammond has been successful at the NHL level despite his stint in Bingo. Buddy Robinson regressed. Cole Schneider regressed and got shipped off. Lindberg didn't show out and got moved. Nick Paul looked much better and performed much better at the NHL level than he did in the AHL. Guptill got shipped the **** out.

There is some responsibility on the part of the players to want to improve and to put in the time. But if we're assuming that the majority of the players on the team are doing everything they can to get to the NHL then where does the problem lie? Doesn't it with the head coach?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Got to be hard being told like that(as per richardson's 1200 interview) that you aren't needed anymore.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Got to be hard being told like that(as per richardson's 1200 interview) that you aren't needed anymore.

I guess but he was telling them he was moving on from Binghamton. He asked if the Sens had something. Dorion effectively said no.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I guess but he was telling them he was moving on from Binghamton. He asked if the Sens had something. Dorion effectively said no.

yeah. Just didn't sound like Luke knew what to expect with the answer. Sounded like he was going into that conversation pretty confident and was maybe expecting/hoping for a different answer. We don't know, but if the answer did come as a bit of a shock to him, must have felt like quite the gut punch.
Good luck to him though, really like him.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
This seems to be the default line of thinking when it comes to Richardson's tenure as HC. But I don't know why that's the more obvious thought to have instead of him being an incapable coach.

Puempel hasn't broken through yet. Prince was shipped off. Hammond has been successful at the NHL level despite his stint in Bingo. Buddy Robinson regressed. Cole Schneider regressed and got shipped off. Lindberg didn't show out and got moved. Nick Paul looked much better and performed much better at the NHL level than he did in the AHL. Guptill got shipped the **** out.

What does this have to do with Richardson?

Prince getting shipped off literally had nothing to do with Richardson, and it's pretty clear he is a capable NHL player judging on his playoff appearances with the Isles.

Hammond was an average AHL starter who caught fire at the right time and has been able to adjust into a mediocre (.914 sv% v. .915 league average) backup. His performances at the NHL level don't correlate to anything in Bingo.

Robinson regressed? Not really, he was a half-point-per-game guy in NCAA and a solid middle-6 AHL forward. He was never going to be more.

It's not as though a guy like Puempel is an elite-end talent that should be 'expected' to break out at the NHL level in his early-20s, LOL.

Letting Richardson go is a mistake; no big-name coach will sign with the Sens if he has any other options. Hell, right now Marc Crawford--who's been out of the league for what, four years--is phoning the team seeing it as his 'in' back into the league. It's a job nobody wants, and I know I'm in the minority but I think Richardson would've been a great choice as head coach. Knows the constraints of this organization, has a working relationship with many of the current players on the Sens, etc.

Whatever. Hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Agreed. Randy Lee has done a terrible job as Bingo's GM

Idk about that.

Seems to me bingo has acquired good ahl players or players who had success before bingo
Last 2 years.
Camper
Johnson
A.Grant
Mullen
Bertuzzi:sarcasm:
O'Dell
Kostka
Fraser

Storntini was god damn stupid. Think hes making good money too
Not to mention they blew up bingo this year after it looked like it was going to be terrible

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I was terrified at the thought of Luke becoming our HC.

Nice guy, I'd take him as an assistant any day, but we need someone who's coached and won, at some level. Luke has not. No more experiments.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

He wasn't told that he hasn't needed anymore. Dorion simply said he didn't possess the credentials the Sens' deemed necessary (probably NHL head-coaching experience). To me, it's fair for the Sens to want a guy with NHL HC experience given how poorly previous coaches with no experience faired on the job. They clearly have a vision for what their next coach will look like and they're not willing to compromise on that front.

Prince getting shipped off literally had nothing to do with Richardson, and it's pretty clear he is a capable NHL player judging on his playoff appearances with the Isles.

Hammond was an average AHL starter who caught fire at the right time and has been able to adjust into a mediocre (.914 sv% v. .915 league average) backup. His performances at the NHL level don't correlate to anything in Bingo.

Robinson regressed? Not really, he was a half-point-per-game guy in NCAA and a solid middle-6 AHL forward. He was never going to be more.

It's not as though a guy like Puempel is an elite-end talent that should be 'expected' to break out at the NHL level in his early-20s, LOL.

Letting Richardson go is a mistake; no big-name coach will sign with the Sens if he has any other options. Hell, right now Marc Crawford--who's been out of the league for what, four years--is phoning the team seeing it as his 'in' back into the league. It's a job nobody wants, and I know I'm in the minority but I think Richardson would've been a great choice as head coach. Knows the constraints of this organization, has a working relationship with many of the current players on the Sens, etc.

The Sens didn't let him go. He asked if he was being considered for the HC position in Ottawa, they were honest and told him no, and he decided to move on.

Also, this idea that Ottawa is a job that no one wants is absolutely insane. Yes, some of the big name coaches (Julien, Quennville, Babcock if they were available) would probably be weary about taking working for the organization--but guess what? We can't afford any of those guys anyways! The Euge balked at the idea of paying a HC millions of dollars a year. We were and probably won't get a coach of that calibre for as long as the team is in Kanata. For literally everyone else--the Marc Crawfords and the Kevin Dineens of the world--they would absolutely consider taking the job. NHL HC gigs are few and far between and they pay boatloads more than any junior or European job. If Ottawa were to offer Guy Boucher a job he's no going to tell us to take a hike and go back to Switzerland to coach for a third of what he'd be paid in Ottawa with the hopes that a better job offer will come his way in the future. He's going to seize the opportunity and try to advance his career.

Also, it's not like Ottawa is completely lacking in on-ice talent. We've got a competent starting goaltender, a 2x Norris trophy-winning defensemen and some really solid offensive pieces in Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, and Kyle Turris. I think there are enough ingredients there on paper for a coach to think he can make things work.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Isn't it cute that Richardson thinks he's ready to be an NHL Head Coach? And he's saying he's prepared to sit on the sidelines until he gets his shot? I know he's a local guy, been through lots, is likeable and has done a tonne of charity work...but come on! See ya. Haven't done dick to deserve an NHL job and his attitude seems a bit odd. Reality is gonna set in real quick I bet...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Agree with above except that from what I understand Richardson wanted to be a HC in Ottawa & Dorion wanted an experienced coach as others have said. I'm not sure if he was offered an assistant coaching job but I think what he wants is to be a HC anyway & not an assistant.

He wasn't told that he hasn't needed anymore. Dorion simply said he didn't possess the credentials the Sens' deemed necessary (probably NHL head-coaching experience). To me, it's fair for the Sens to want a guy with NHL HC experience given how poorly previous coaches with no experience faired on the job. They clearly have a vision for what their next coach will look like and they're not willing to compromise on that front.

The Sens didn't let him go. He asked if he was being considered for the HC position in Ottawa, they were honest and told him no, and he decided to move on.

Also, this idea that Ottawa is a job that no one wants is absolutely insane. Yes, some of the big name coaches (Julien, Quennville, Babcock if they were available) would probably be weary about taking working for the organization--but guess what? We can't afford any of those guys anyways! The Euge balked at the idea of paying a HC millions of dollars a year. We were and probably won't get a coach of that calibre for as long as the team is in Kanata. For literally everyone else--the Marc Crawfords and the Kevin Dineens of the world--they would absolutely consider taking the job. NHL HC gigs are few and far between and they pay boatloads more than any junior or European job. If Ottawa were to offer Guy Boucher a job he's no going to tell us to take a hike and go back to Switzerland to coach for a third of what he'd be paid in Ottawa with the hopes that a better job offer will come his way in the future. He's going to seize the opportunity and try to advance his career.

Also, it's not like Ottawa is completely lacking in on-ice talent. We've got a competent starting goaltender, a 2x Norris trophy-winning defensemen and some really solid offensive pieces in Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, and Kyle Turris. I think there are enough ingredients there on paper for a coach to think he can make things work.

Good post, I would add to this that it's not that coaches don't want to come to Ottawa, we have no idea which ones would & which ones wouldn't, we can only pick from the ones that are available when we need a coach & only from the ones the GM decides to interview. There may be coaches available but for whatever reason the GM may not want to interview them which leaves whoever is left that he does want to choose from. How often are there big name coaches available when Ottawa has fired their coach & this group wanted to hire them & they wanted to come here? We don't know & will never know. Good luck to whoever ends up being the coach here though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I haven't really followed Bingo, so I don't really know any details....but they really were a bad team.

Now, was he told to focus on develop and not worry about wins/losses? I have no idea. And about development...it doesn't feel like most of the kids we've brought up over this season and last had much of an impact. Prince, Puempel, various kids on D....all pretty forgettable out there.

I think the biggest problem with Ottawa overall, is transitioning to the "new NHL" thinking. Valuing hockey IQ, skating, speed, and creativity above all else. We're still stuck on size and grit. It could be that removing guys like Cameron and Richardson are needed to get this organization to transition to a faster, more skilled game.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I haven't really followed Bingo, so I don't really know any details....but they really were a bad team.

Now, was he told to focus on develop and not worry about wins/losses? I have no idea. And about development...it doesn't feel like most of the kids we've brought up over this season and last had much of an impact. Prince, Puempel, various kids on D....all pretty forgettable out there.

I think the biggest problem with Ottawa overall, is transitioning to the "new NHL" thinking. Valuing hockey IQ, skating, speed, and creativity above all else. We're still stuck on size and grit. It could be that removing guys like Cameron and Richardson are needed to get this organization to transition to a faster, more skilled game.

Bingos god awful season was an elephant in the room that really needed to be addressed. Bingo simply should not have been that bad.

It would have been too hard to fire Luke, so this is for the best imo. A fresh look for the whole organization was needed.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

So.....he wasn't needed anymore.
Of course it's fair for the Senators to want a guy with experience. My point was that it was probably a painful conversation for him.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Isn't it cute that Richardson thinks he's ready to be an NHL Head Coach? And he's saying he's prepared to sit on the sidelines until he gets his shot? I know he's a local guy, been through lots, is likeable and has done a tonne of charity work...but come on! See ya. Haven't done dick to deserve an NHL job and his attitude seems a bit odd. Reality is gonna set in real quick I bet...

I don't care for the line of thinking. If you listened to his interview today he made it clear he wants to be a head coach in the NHL. What's wrong with that? If you have a goal in life is it wrong to pursue it?

Having said that, there aren't many NHL head coaching vacancies available and even if more open up, there will be lots of other guys who will be considered for the position. I wouldn't bet on Luke Richardson being an NHL head coach as soon as next season.

He said he doesn't want to be an assistant coach, but if an assistant job opens up on an NHL club, he would probably have to consider it. He could also look at becoming a head coach in the CHL. There are options.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This should be the play and I would maybe add in decide what optimal type of system a team should play to win and then adjust the personnel to fit this winning system (remove guys if need be) moving forward then proceed to find a coach who can install said system. The less desired option would be to select a system that works to the current group's strengths and proceed with hiring the NHL guy then the AHL guy.

Lately though it seems this team likes to do things the hard way so I guess buckle up!

I don't like the concept of deciding on a "system" and forcing all players to play it. I think a good coach tailors his "system" and expectations to the players he has on his lines or sets of five players as all players do not have the same skill sets, including speed, puck handling, shooting and defensive skills. For offensively skilled players you need to give them a "system" or style of play that takes best advantage of their skill sets (strengths) and minimizes their weaknesses. For less offensively skilled players, expectations change and you need to give them a different "system" or style of play that allows them to use their skill sets, limited as they may be, to best advantage, perhaps being focused on tight checking and not taking any risks offensively.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

There is some responsibility on the part of the players to want to improve and to put in the time. But if we're assuming that the majority of the players on the team are doing everything they can to get to the NHL then where does the problem lie? Doesn't it with the head coach?

I'm shocked, shocked I say, to read about the poor quality of players in Binghamton. How can that be, with the copious comments about the great scouting staff this organization has?

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Bingos god awful season was an elephant in the room that really needed to be addressed. Bingo simply should not have been that bad.

It would have been too hard to fire Luke, so this is for the best imo. A fresh look for the whole organization was needed.

The past 2 seasons down in Binghamton the talent was here on paper, but did not show up on the ice.... Ottawa upgraded with better free agents this season and it got worse not better......

After the trades and multiple calls up to Ottawa Binghamton played better with a far less talented roster ........

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
What a great character this guy is. Don't think coaching is really what he should do, should be more in the player development and training.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
So.....he wasn't needed anymore.
Of course it's fair for the Senators to want a guy with experience. My point was that it was probably a painful conversation for him.

Yes, he was. They needed him to coach their AHL team but had no interest in interviewing him for the big job in Ottawa. When Dorion told him they weren't even going to consider him, he decided to walk.

I dunno. I think he's a good guy but I'm honestly somewhat shocked that he thinks he's qualified to coach the Ottawa Senators at this point in his career. I get that he played 20 years in the league but a ton of playing experience doesn't always translate to good coaching. They're two different skills. Some of the best coaches of all time never played professional sports (Bill Belichick, Greg Popovich, Scotty Bowman etc.). Honestly, he'll probably need another 5 or 6 years behind the bench and a few impressive playoff runs with the club he's coaching before he's even considered as a legitimate option for an NHL head-coaching position.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yes, he was. They needed him to coach their AHL team but had no interest in interviewing him for the big job in Ottawa. When Dorion told him they weren't even going to consider him, he decided to walk.

I dunno. I think he's a good guy but I'm honestly somewhat shocked that he thinks he's qualified to coach the Ottawa Senators at this point in his career. I get that he played 20 years in the league but a ton of playing experience doesn't always translate to good coaching. They're two different skills. Some of the best coaches of all time never played professional sports (Bill Belichick, Greg Popovich, Scotty Bowman etc.). Honestly, he'll probably need another 5 or 6 years behind the bench and a few impressive playoff runs with the club he's coaching before he's even considered as a legitimate option for an NHL head-coaching position.

We need to keep in mind that being in Binghamton was good for Luke and Stephanie Richardson since their daughter was attending Cornell University. She just graduated this spring, so the Richardson's don't really have to be there anymore.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The past 2 seasons down in Binghamton the talent was here on paper, but did not show up on the ice.... Ottawa upgraded with better free agents this season and it got worse not better......

After the trades and multiple calls up to Ottawa Binghamton played better with a far less talented roster ........

Agree fully that it's on the players, but Richardson does have to share in a small part of the blame.

I wouldn't have been opposed to Richardson coming back, but I also think that it's a convenient time to mutually part ways.

Luke's a good coach, but I don't believe that his performance thus far merits a promotion into being an NHL head coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad