Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson leaving the organization

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm shocked, shocked I say, to read about the poor quality of players in Binghamton. How can that be, with the copious comments about the great scouting staff this organization has?

Because most of the guys our "great scouting staff" have picked just aren't in the AHL for one reason or another. Look at our last 5 drafts: They are all either with the big team (Lazar, Ceci, Zibanejad, Pageau), NCAA (White, Gendron), overseas in Europe (Englund, Hogberg, Wikstrand?), or still playing Junior hockey (Chabot, Perron, Gagne, Chlapik)... Or they got traded away in other deals or had to retire (Prince, Maidens, Lindberg).

Plus, we use a ton of later picks on NCAA and European guys because we can leave them there for 4 years instead of two and delay decisions on depth guys to see if they can develop a little more - Wolanin, Ahl, Jaros, Daccord, Eiserman, Summers, Leblanc, Shore... all of those guys either are playing NCAA (or pre-NCAA) hockey, or are choosing to develop in Europe instead. Nothing wrong with that.

It's kind of anomalous right now - we have talent in the pipelines, but almost none of it happens to be in the AHL due to our drafting patterns, timing and geographic reasons (plus Wikstrand "pulling a Wikstrand" on us).

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Because most of the guys our "great scouting staff" have picked just aren't in the AHL for one reason or another. Look at our last 5 drafts: They are all either with the big team (Lazar, Ceci, Zibanejad, Pageau), NCAA (White, Gendron), overseas in Europe (Englund, Hogberg, Wikstrand?), or still playing Junior hockey (Chabot, Perron, Gagne, Chlapik)... Or they got traded away in other deals (Prince, Maidens, Lindberg).

Plus, we use a ton of later picks on NCAA and European guys because we can leave them there for 4 years instead of two and delay decisions on depth guys to see if they can develop a little more - Wolanin, Ahl, Jaros, Daccord, Eiserman, Summers, Leblanc, Shore... all of those guys either are playing NCAA (or pre-NCAA) hockey, or are choosing to develop in Europe instead. Nothing wrong with that.

It's kind of anomalous right now - we have talent in the pipelines, but almost none of it happens to be in the AHL due to our drafting patterns, timing and geographic reasons (plus Wikstrand "pulling a Wikstrand" on us).

Great post :handclap:

I think there is reason for optimism about our prospects, but as we should all realize, they don't all turn out the way you want them to. Overall, I like the way the team drafted when Murray was the GM. They were certainly able to find some talent outside of the first round, and that is no easy task. Hopefully we keep drafting and developing good young players, and most importantly, don't rush them into the league.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Isn't it cute that Richardson thinks he's ready to be an NHL Head Coach? And he's saying he's prepared to sit on the sidelines until he gets his shot? I know he's a local guy, been through lots, is likeable and has done a tonne of charity work...but come on! See ya. Haven't done dick to deserve an NHL job and his attitude seems a bit odd. Reality is gonna set in real quick I bet...

Exactly this. Richardson has done absolutely nothing to deserve a HC job anywhere in the NHL. He will be waiting a long time if he choses to sit and wait for a job. I found his statement quite arrogant and he came off as feeling quite entitled. Earn your dues buddy, learn the ropes, be an assistant coach.

Funny how many Sens fans seem to "know" whats going on in Bingo. Ya, we see the boxscores, but does anyone really know whats going on?? Do we know that Luke played Stortini on the first line while Nick Paul and Tobias Lindberg took turns being healthy scratched early in the season??? Richardson never got out of the first round in the AHL playoffs, and the teams he went to the playoffs with were stacked.

Also, Luke not being considered DOES NOT mean that we are looking for a coach with tons of experience, it simply means that we aren't looking for Luke Richardson to be our next Head Coach and that's fine by me.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Exactly this. Richardson has done absolutely nothing to deserve a HC job anywhere in the NHL. He will be waiting a long time if he choses to sit and wait for a job. I found his statement quite arrogant and he came off as feeling quite entitled. Earn your dues buddy, learn the ropes, be an assistant coach.

Funny how many Sens fans seem to "know" whats going on in Bingo. Ya, we see the boxscores, but does anyone really know whats going on?? Do we know that Luke played Stortini on the first line while Nick Paul and Tobias Lindberg took turns being healthy scratched early in the season??? Richardson never got out of the first round in the AHL playoffs, and the teams he went to the playoffs with were stacked.

Also, Luke not being considered DOES NOT mean that we are looking for a coach with tons of experience, it simply means that we aren't looking for Luke Richardson to be our next Head Coach and that's fine by me.

Did he say he wanted to specifically be a head coach? I agree that's too much too soon, but I would have been very open to having him as an assistant. Although I guess if we're planning to bring in a big name coach he'll likely want to pick his own assistants.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Word in the Twittersphere is that Richardson may have an Assistant Coach offer in his pocket from Columbus. Who knows how accurate that might be, but even if it isn't Columbus I would imagine that Richardson would be in the mix as an Assistant candidate in a number of NHL cities. He ticks a lot of boxes - long time NHL player, now has some solid coaching experience, knows player development, etc. I feel for the guy, but I think for both parties it was time to move on.

To me, his legacy here will always be the work that he and his wife did on mental health awareness. To be as public as they were after the death of his daughter must have been incredibly painful, but they forged ahead anyway and did something positive. I have the utmost respect for the family as a result...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Organization stuck by and with him for 4 years while he sorted things out and waited for Morgan to graduate. As soon as that accomplished its all of nothing and he's out the door - gone. That does not speak well to character for me.

And saying he'd rather sit out if a Head Coaching job was not offered is very egotistical, based on the run he's had in Binghamton.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Organization stuck by and with him for 4 years while he sorted things out and waited for Morgan to graduate. As soon as that accomplished its all of nothing and he's out the door - gone. That does not speak well to character for me.

And saying he'd rather sit out if a Head Coaching job was not offered is very egotistical, based on the run he's had in Binghamton.

Luke owes the organization nothing. It's a business, there's no animosity in the break, and both sides agree that he should try and further his career if that's his end game.

Why demonize the guy? I'm sure a lot of people in his current position would have done the exact same thing.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Luke owes the organization nothing. It's a business, there's no animosity in the break, and both sides agree that he should try and further his career if that's his end game.

Why demonize the guy? I'm sure a lot of people in his current position would have done the exact same thing.

I have the opinion they were possibly looking at him as an Assistant. After all they did for him he shows no loyalty. I get the business side of it. But there are NO other openings, yet he say HC or nothing. Dorion and Richardson were both honest I agree, but I think he should have waited to say no to a possible offer as an AC, or once he got an HC position offer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If the rumour that he was offered the HC role when MacLean was fired, but rejected it because he wanted to stay close to his daughter until she finished school is true, I can understand why he made this decision.

He felt that he was ready, he thought the org agreed (assumiung the above rumour is true, at least they did when they offered him the role, but he wasn't willing to move yet), and now that both parties are looking at the same thing, an open HC position, but the sens no longer consider him a viable candidate.

You can see why he'd be more than a little disapointed if you put yourself in his shoes.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Woah
Don't know what to say about that.
He did a very good job while down there. We had a lot of guys come up and transition pretty well.
He's been there a long time. In Binghamton on buses, helping our guys develop. He cares about those guys.
Don't know what else he could have done. The players this year were pretty crap.
Don't blame him at all for looking for some opportunities for his family to move on.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Kinda too bad but at the same time, Richardson feels like he did his time and he wants to be a HC in the big leagues. Can't blame him for that.

Same goes with Dorion, he was straight with Richardson when asked about if he (Richardson) would be considered for the big club HC position. You can't blame Dorion, his ass is now on the line to get a HC who needs to be here for more than 24 months type of scenario...

Ottawa needs some stability at the HC position, it needs somebody with some longterm experience at the position. Enough with grooming a coaching staff. This group of players needs to learn to play together, be responsible for it's play and most importantly needs to play well in it's own end and on the the PP/PK.

Richardson will be a great HC in the NHL but we need was he will be able to offer in 5 years from now.

A Jacques Martin type of coach who can teach responsible play would be my call. It would be curious to see if he learned something from his past tenure too.

Last edited:

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Cool Hand Luke ain't no body's assistant. He's all about head coaching. Stick it to the man Cool Hand!

[Just as well, he wasn't the coach the Sens needed at this time. Glad that GMPD was a straight shooter and told him just as much. Best of luck to Luke wherever he ends up. #DIFD]

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What has he really accomplished in Binghamton?

It's a developmental league. He helped develop our players.
Our young players are our good players.

It's not like anyone told anyone off. He's just moving on. Why the harsh criticisms in here?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What has he really accomplished in Binghamton?

He helped Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, Silfverberg, Borowiecki, Gryba, Zibanejad, Wideman, Claesson, Ceci, Dzingel, Puempel, Wiercioch, Prince, and Paul become the players they are today.

Othello*

He helped Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, Silfverberg, Borowiecki, Gryba, Zibanejad, Wideman, Claesson, Ceci, Dzingel, Puempel, Wiercioch, Prince, and Paul become the players they are today.

The same could be said about literally all their previous coaches. And besides Gryba,Zibanejad,Silfverberg,Paul, Wiercioch and Ceci all played less than 40 games with Richardson as their head coach.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Helped is the key term. Of that list, the only players that really "developed" under Richardson are Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, Pageau. However, I feel like these guys would have developed regardless of who was coaching them.

Silfverberg only played 34 games in Bingo
Zibanejad played even less (29 games)
Ceci only played 30 games

Borowiecki, Gryba, Wideman, Claesson, Dzingel, Puempel, Wiercioch, Prince, and Paul are all borderline NHLers at best. Some of them shouldn't even be in the league. Nick Paul was basically banished to the press box many times at the beginning of the year.

So really, Richardson may just be the most overrated AHL Head Coach ever.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Feeling more and more comfortable with Yeo.

He has 5 years of NHL coaching experience, and NHL playoff experience to boot.

His Wild team has already competed with the Hawks, toe-to-toe, the year the Hawks won the Cup (iirc).

I'm sure he had experiences during those 5 years that made him grow as a coach, and I'm sure getting fired made him grow as well.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Feeling more and more comfortable with Yeo.

He has 5 years of NHL coaching experience, and NHL playoff experience to boot.

His Wild team has already competed with the Hawks, toe-to-toe, the year the Hawks won the Cup (iirc).

I'm sure he had experiences during those 5 years that made him grow as a coach, and I'm sure getting fired made him grow as well.
Yeah ,iam starting to think he may be the guy as well

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Helped is the key term. Of that list, the only players that really "developed" under Richardson are Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, Pageau. However, I feel like these guys would have developed regardless of who was coaching them.

Silfverberg only played 34 games in Bingo
Zibanejad played even less (29 games)
Ceci only played 30 games

Borowiecki, Gryba, Wideman, Claesson, Dzingel, Puempel, Wiercioch, Prince, and Paul are all borderline NHLers at best. Some of them shouldn't even be in the league. Nick Paul was basically banished to the press box many times at the beginning of the year.

So really, Richardson may just be the most overrated AHL Head Coach ever.

The reality is that just about every single callup we've made with him as our coach in Bingo has come in looking like he fit in (with a couple exceptions). You don't want to give him credit for the guys that turned into great players, and want to take away from his contribution towards those that aren't star players (would Boro, Gryba, Wideman, ect even have made it that far without proper guidance in the minors?)

In the end, people want to question what he's done to deserve more. Well, he's done what was asked of him; make sure the kids are ready to step in when called upon.

Does that mean he'll be a great HC at the NHL level? Who knows. But he was undoubtably a part of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad