Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello named Leafs General Manager - Presser @ 2pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
:laugh:

"Mike hasn't even coached a game, I haven't been here a day, and you're asking me about firing him, boy what a question, next question."

hooboy, welcome to Toronto, Lou.

Was that Simmons? What a joke... Glad Lou put him in his place. Going to enjoy those kinds of answers to the craptastic journalism of Toronto

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Hmmm....ummmm....what....why....I'm speechless with this. Veteran presence is the only thing that makes sense. Dubas and Hunter advising him and Lou pulling the trigger with connections and respect around the league.

Does this mean we are signing Kovalchuk to a 15 year, completely front loaded, cap circumvention contract? :help: :sarcasm:

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Hmmm....ummmm....what....why....I'm speechless with this. Veteran presence is the only thing that makes sense. Dubas and Hunter advising him and Lou pulling the trigger with connections and respect around the league.

Does this mean we are signing Kovalchuk to a 15 year, completely front loaded, cap circumvention contract? :help: :sarcasm:

It's pretty well known that Lamiorello was against signing Kovalchuk to that contract and that it was an ownership decision based on getting the inexperienced fans into buying tickets to see a Big Name player score a few goals.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Remember when he stole Niedermayer from us? lol

He also stole Kovalchuk from Atlanta for next to nothing too. Lets hope he can manage to get us some more picks or some good prospects.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Baseball and hockey are two very different sports (hockey celebrates beards, and people get bruised up pretty bad), but point taken.

Also, telling employees that they cant use social media at work is one thing (and I agree with that), but what employer can actually control the employees not using it at all? Especially when said employer is heavily divested into social media themselves.

IDK maybe I'm being too picky/critical, I just really don't like the idea of a more serious/outdated Brian Burke coming into town and acting like it's 1971 with a bunch of developing kids. It hasn't worked out for New Jersey for almost decade (all their stars left), and I don't see it working out here.

Players are given a dress code, suits & ties, Lou just added proper grooming. Nothing wrong with the rule in my books, but I wouldn't care either way.

The social media thing, people can get fired with statements they make on social media. If I was a GM, I would highly recommend professional athletes stay away from it. I think the risk of something stupid being said or happening, severely outweighs the rewards.

NotSince67*

IDK, call me skeptical but...

I don't see adding Lou as a HUGE addition to this management team. I think the reality is with decision making by consensus and having what would seem to be active input from Babcock, clearly the team isn't there for Lou to mold. I think he's a great hockey mind and he'll have input, but at the end of the day he's not going to hold a veto and he's only one of 5 (6 if you count Pridham) voices in the room.

I think the biggest thing he brings with him is it takes a lot of the pressure off Dubas and Shanahan. He'll be taking over some of the more administrative and PR functions of the role which in the absence of a GM have been required of Shanahan and Dubas to do. This should free up Dubas and Shanahan to do player evaluations and to quietly work in the background and make sure everybody is one the same page and doing what's required of them (respectively). I think his experience and his rapport in the NHL helps a ton and takes a lot of pressure off Dubas specifically.

But at the end of the day I don't see it much different than say Lou being an advisor while liasing with the other managers and doing the PR/media functions of a GM. It's not like Lou can make a trade and pull the trigger without bringing it to the group first and getting approval from Shanahan.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I love how he kinda just dismissed the question and showed his emotion of how stupid a question that was. Let's hope he continues to not put up with the bs media

Seriously.
I won't lie - I don't mind the extra scrums and stuff - I get that a lot of people couldn't give a flying poop about them, but even when it's rift with cliche-ese it's always good to just hear from players management, but holy crap, like.. what kind of question was that, Simmons? [or whomever asked it but it sounded like a Simmonsesque question].

I defended the media a lot - mostly because I think a lot of "omg it's so hard here." is silly, but I will totally admit the majority of them are stupid, stupid stupid.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I don't see adding Lou as a HUGE addition to this management team. I think the reality is with decision making by consensus and having what would seem to be active input from Babcock, clearly the team isn't there for Lou to mold. I think he's a great hockey mind and he'll have input, but at the end of the day he's not going to hold a veto and he's only one of 5 (6 if you count Pridham) voices in the room.

I think the biggest thing he brings with him is it takes a lot of the pressure off Dubas and Shanahan. He'll be taking over some of the more administrative and PR functions of the role which in the absence of a GM have been required of Shanahan and Dubas to do. This should free up Dubas and Shanahan to do player evaluations and to quietly work in the background and make sure everybody is one the same page and doing what's required of them (respectively). I think his experience and his rapport in the NHL helps a ton and takes a lot of pressure off Dubas specifically.

But at the end of the day I don't see it much different than say Lou being an advisor while liasing with the other managers and doing the PR/media functions of a GM. It's not like Lou can make a trade and pull the trigger without bringing it to the group first and getting approval from Shanahan.
This sounds really good to me. And given the stage of his career, it's the sort of role that Lou would likely have. Why are you skeptical?

NotSince67*

This sounds really good to me. And given the stage of his career, it's the sort of role that Lou would likely have. Why are you skeptical?

Just skeptical he's going to come in and re-invent the wheel, that sort of idea.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
guys we got a young front office, they are young in terms of experience, they are all new to the nhl management scene...and we have big dreams here, we want to build a long lasting successful team, year after year, hopefully decade after decade

its just like any business/corporate office, full of newbies with big dreams, u gotta have the old guy there...hes old, hes stubborn, hes got a ton of experience, hes done it before, scene everything

we got that old guy thats for sure...its the right move

happyaccident

May 14, 2013

From the gist of the reporting that I could stomach, Shanny wanted Lou for this job all along and Dubas/Hunter wil be reporting to Lou.
Lou's in charge (after Shanny), he'll take input from the other guys when and if he so chooses.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Lou isn't coming here to be one tiny voice in a cartel. He's going to be THE voice, and young guys like Dubas (who could be a great GM one day) will listen and try to aid him in his decisions. But people are mistaken if you think Lou is coming here to be an "advisor". He isn't. He's going to run the show. Shanahan defers to him as he has way more experience. He'll operate in an autonomous way as he always has. Except he'll have smart young guys giving him the data he needs to do his job better. In a couple years when he retires then we can figure out who the best GM of the club will be. And honestly, it may not be Dubas.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It must have been the Buffalo reporter that accused Mike Babcock of lying about his signing in Toronto and not in Buffalo, I think they are still ticked about that.

Yeah that guy was a real douchenozzle.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
We have to trade a 3rd for him.

Hardly a devastating price to pay.

Didn't he flat out say in the press conference that the ultimate decisions would be his?

Lou isn't coming here to be one tiny voice in a cartel. He's going to be THE voice, and young guys like Dubas (who could be a great GM one day) will listen and try to aid him in his decisions. But people are mistaken if you think Lou is coming here to be an "advisor". He isn't. He's going to run the show. Shanahan defers to him as he has way more experience. He'll operate in an autonomous way as he always has. Except he'll have smart young guys giving him the data he needs to do his job better.

Exactly.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
90% sure it was Simmons.

I saw him ask one question, but didn't see him ask any more. It wouldn't surprise me for a second if it was Simmons though. That guy is simply pathetic.

And now he is writing the story as if he has all the details on how it went down. Considering the new blanket of silence that surrounds this team one really does have to wonder if he is making this up like he did the hot dog story.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/23/anatomy-of-the-leafs-deal-with-lou-lamoriello

LeafsYoungGuns

Jul 4, 2011
Smith Falls, Ontario
One thing I dont understand is this whole rebuild=tank thing. I don't think its like that at all rebuild can mean a bunch of 9th place finishes but the fact we have a dedicated and hard working team could lure high profile free agents such as stamkos and tavares to sign with us and bam rebuilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad