Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello named Leafs General Manager - Presser @ 2pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

2badknees

May 23, 2015
My guess is the real impetus for bringing him on board is due to the lack of success they've had in moving out contracts.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
While this is 100% true, it's what Lou did after they left that shows where his head is at, and what he did is pretty much nothing.

That being said, still in favor of this move.

Not giving up your first the year you make the finals to serve the punishment was mind boggling.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Not giving up your first the year you make the finals to serve the punishment was mind boggling.

Holy I forgot about that :facepalm: That was ridiculous.

I've heard that Lou didn't allow his players to have social media, or grow beards? Does anyone think he'l attempt this crap on this team?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I never understood that either, but I think the theory was why the Islanders didn't give up their first rounder when they made the Buffalo deal. keep the "better" pick and hope to heck to better yourself the next year.

I think that was when Parise was contemplating leaving and they wanted to show something...? I don't remember the whole deal. maybe devils fans can explain it.

Holy I forgot about that :facepalm: That was ridiculous.

I've heard that Lou didn't allow his players to have social media, or grow beards? Does anyone think he'l attempt this crap on this team?

why is it crap? (legitimately curious).

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The Lamoriello things seems pretty clear cut to me. He'll mentor and groom Dubas, then in three years he'll move on to Sr. advisor and Dubas will be named GM.

Its also hilarious how NO ONE saw this coming. The Toronto media has been smugly proclaming for the past year that Shanny doesnt know what the hell hes doing, thats theres no rumbling of anything happening, that no respected hockey people will want to come here....... then BAM Babcock hired. BAM Lamoriello hired. Makes me laugh when the media is completely broadsided and proven soooooooo wrong.

They have looked pretty stupid....though that is kind of normal.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I never understood that either, but I think the theory was why the Islanders didn't give up their first rounder when they made the Buffalo deal. keep the "better" pick and hope to heck to better yourself the next year.

I think that was when Parise was contemplating leaving and they wanted to show something...? I don't remember the whole deal. maybe devils fans can explain it.

why is it crap? (legitimately curious).

How are you going to tell your players they aren't allowed to grow facial hair? How does this take away from the game in any possible way?

As for social media, the Leafs organization is involved a great deal in the social media world, and this extends to the players. I understand that these guys are paid a lot if money to do what they do, but having control of something that has nothing to do with their performance on/off the ice is ridiculous. It just seems like a very old and outdated mentality to want to have absolute control over the players.

As for the pick, it was the absolute last pick in the 1st round. There is no possible way to do worse the next year, so if they really wanted a player in that range it seems like it makes a hell of a lot more sense to just trade for a high second rounder.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Now, which NJD player (Current or Past), will Lou bring in now?? Arn't new GMs normally notorious for bringing in players they trust from previous regimes?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
How are you going to tell your players they aren't allowed to grow facial hair? How does this take away from the game in any possible way?

As for social media, the Leafs organization is involved a great deal in the social media world, and this extends to the players. I understand that these guys are paid a lot if money to do what they do, but having control of something that has nothing to do with their performance on/off the ice is ridiculous. It just seems like a very old and outdated mentality to want to have absolute control over the players.

:dunno: I don't know. the same way the Yankees tell their players not to? Like they have had that philosophy for how many years now, and no one really says "that's dumb" (or if they do - it's just more of "I don't understand it but that's the culture they want to have." clean cut, clean shaven."

And as for Social Media - again - I don't know. I just remember the Lupul thing (not that thing, but the fight on instagram thing, and he has quit twitter, and a lot of other stuff that esclated this year, and maybe the players not having social media wouldn't be a bad thing. to me, it doesn't matter. It's no different than having a job that says you can't social media at work. said boss doesn't want it in then I don't see the issue.

however. I would figure that they would have a compromise on some things because Babcock flat out said that he wants his players to own their stuff. We'll have to see.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Everyone needs to relax a bit. Lou has been brought in to mentor the tema based on his tremendous NHL experience as a GM. Three friggin Stanley Cups people ... three!

At his age, he is here to pass on knowledge to the next generation and help start build a winner.
The last few years in NJ don't cancel out his record.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Lou must be different here. He can not be allowed to make those types of blunders again and implement his 1960's U.S. Marines drill sergeant lists. I agree with giving up individual identity for a team identity but Babcock's approach is a healthier one I think.

This will be a very different type of GM job to the one Lou had in N.J. That being said - this hire feels really weird. In the pit of my stomach, I don't quite see it working out... and to give up another 3rd draft pick when the draft is "so important" I don't get either.

Shanny has guts.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
:dunno: I don't know. the same way the Yankees tell their players not to? Like they have had that philosophy for how many years now, and no one really says "that's dumb" (or if they do - it's just more of "I don't understand it but that's the culture they want to have." clean cut, clean shaven."

And as for Social Media - again - I don't know. I just remember the Lupul thing (not that thing, but the fight on instagram thing, and he has quit twitter, and a lot of other stuff that esclated this year, and maybe the players not having social media wouldn't be a bad thing. to me, it doesn't matter. It's no different than having a job that says you can't social media at work. said boss doesn't want it in then I don't see the issue.

however. I would figure that they would have a compromise on some things because Babcock flat out said that he wants his players to own their stuff. We'll have to see.

Baseball and hockey are two very different sports (hockey celebrates beards, and people get bruised up pretty bad), but point taken.

Also, telling employees that they cant use social media at work is one thing (and I agree with that), but what employer can actually control the employees not using it at all? Especially when said employer is heavily divested into social media themselves.

IDK maybe I'm being too picky/critical, I just really don't like the idea of a more serious/outdated Brian Burke coming into town and acting like it's 1971 with a bunch of developing kids. It hasn't worked out for New Jersey for almost decade (all their stars left), and I don't see it working out here.

RD616

May 4, 2010
You guys do realize that the pick NJ Devils forfeited in 2014 was given back to them right (although it was 30th overall)? In hindsight, if Lou had forfeited his pick already, his team probably wouldn't have gotten that extra pick. Lou is actually a genius!

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
You guys do realize that the pick NJ Devils forfeited in 2014 was given back to them right (although it was 30th overall)? In hindsight, if Lou had forfeited his pick already, his team probably wouldn't have gotten that extra pick. Lou is actually a genius!

And where did they finish in the standings, only to draft in 30th?

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
So, we're not gonna know how much he's getting paid? Maybe money was an extra incentive for him, more for his future generations.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Doesn't mean that they can't but generally speaking a relentless forecheck and finishing hits generally requires players willing to do that… and occasionally willing to defend themselves.

Clearly, if you stacked Anaheim's roster (a team going for tough) against ours:

- Perry, Getzlaf, Jackman, Maroon, Kessler, McGratton (newly signed), Bieksa, Stoner and others

vs

- Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Panik, Holland, Booth, etc

… we lose. Are we really going to be relentless on the forecheck and win the battles against those guys?

The goal is not to go :

Perry, Getzlaf, Jackman, Maroon, Kessler, McGratton (newly signed), Bieksa, Stoner and others

vs

- Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Panik, Holland, Booth, etc

Its to go

Perry, Getzlaf, Jackman, Maroon, Kessler, McGratton (newly signed), Bieksa, Stoner and others

vs

- quick, skilled, relentless.. which is what Shanny and Co have been drafting and trading for.

When this team is ready to compete the bozaks and Lupuls of this team will be distant memories

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Saw something mentioned that he won't be carrying over those rules to TML, but he'll carry over the source idea. Acountability, putting the team above the individual and all that.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
All that shaving is only gonna make their beards grow quicker come playoff time. :sarcasm:

Unless they still have to shave for the playoffs which will become a full on scandal by the media no doubt.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Baseball and hockey are two very different sports (hockey celebrates beards, and people get bruised up pretty bad), but point taken.

thank you! :)

but, I also remember playoff beards with the Devils. so maybe it's just a - be all clean shaven in the regular season, and you can be bearded when it matters?

Also, telling employees that they cant use social media at work is one thing (and I agree with that), but what employer can actually control the employees not using it at all? Especially when said employer is heavily divested into social media themselves.

I never knew this was a rule. to be fair.
the Leafs have a super strong social media presence, something that Shanahan invested a lot of money with the new PR thing.

saying that the players can't use it - again, I see it akin to work. they can't do it. dont' do it, don't get in trouble and we don't have TMZ-esque things re: Lupul challenging someone to a fight.

I see it again, like a compromise. it's easy (very easy) to to not do things in NJ because for the most part, who cares. Here whatever happens it's gonna be a story. If Lou institutes it, story, if Lou doesn't, story. most Leafs who have a twitter account anyway basically go dark except for a few times a year

1: new signings etc.
2: being traded for/being traded
3: Christmas/Holiday Wishes

and like how many of them are publicly active? I know Dion is (or was) in the summer time (Instagram). Lupul was (he quit Twitter). Morgan has his (isn't super active) neither is Kadri (any more), JVR the same.

so i'm not really seeing the problem (but I'm trying to get there :) just for sake of discussion)

IDK maybe I'm being too picky/critical, I just really don't like the idea of a more serious/outdated Brian Burke coming into town and acting like it's 1971 with a bunch of developing kids. It hasn't worked out for New Jersey for almost decade (all their stars left), and I don't see it working out here.

that - I agree with. However again, i think compromises will be made to fit this market. To be fair as well - all their stars 'left' but was that due to the rules or because of financial reasonings? Like Parise left because it was Minnesota (and Suter his BFF). Kolvachuck left for KHL money. a lot of players have said (I've heard) they love Lou. We'll have to see.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
….
Its to go

vs

- quick, skilled, relentless.. which is what Shanny and Co have been drafting and trading for.

When this team is ready to compete the bozaks and Lupuls of this team will be distant memories

Replaced by our "relentless forecheckers" we just drafted? ;)

C'mon. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Are the Red Wings known for their relentless, punishing forecheck?

A team that tries to win battles like that will be asked to defend themselves and that just isn't in the script.

It's ok though. Detroit did just fine in terms of making the playoffs. You could argue that recently, with just 2 playoff series wins in 5 years that they needed to consider another direction but I think any Leaf fan would take 5 years of playoffs at any cost.

This team won't be anything near the tougher teams in the NHL. Contrary to popular opinion, teams still fight. Teams still employ goons. They even load up a little in that department.

For example, Zack Sill was let go by us and resigned in Washington. Along with Tom Wilson and Michael Latta, you really think that the Leafs forecheck will be more relentless than these guys? And that these guys would accept losing a battle in the corner without punching one of our guys in the face?

It's just not our script. We can lie to ourselves and talk about team toughness and that goons aren't required… even though Anaheim just sign Brian McGrattan to go along with Tim Jackman. Or the Sens with Chris Neil, Zack Smith and newly signed Zack Stortini will succumb to our team toughness concept.

We won't win battles in the corners. We will win in shoot outs. That's the direction. Don't pretend otherwise.

It won't be all bad, we may actually make the playoffs. Isn't that the point?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Lots of very positive moves by this organization:

- experience in Babcock
- acquiring draft picks
- courage to trade the "star"
- experience in Lamoriello
- creating a culture of competition with UFAs on short term deals that can either be kept or moved for more assets. The latter essentially amounting to buying additional draft picks
- handing a try out contract to Kadri, giving the same flexibility to this question mark

The only thing I don't like is the lack of interest in toughness.

I did find last year's team painfully difficult to watch as they went through the motions but more importantly shied away from anything really physical.

I expect Babcock's to compete but like the Red Wings, they won't really push back. Not comfortable with the idea that the Sens and Habs will push us around but so be it.

A Stanley Cup in 10 years will make up for all the face washes and appeals to the Ref for protection that are bound to be a trademark of our future.

this is exactly the same way I see it and it's a post from a very very experienced follower. Cool to agree. I'm kind of drunked up right now bu t telliing it like its is here . You are correct. Lou and all, they agreat.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

I'm not making milllions a year and I have had jobs that required certain things of their employees, personal standards every employee is expected to adhere to. Simple and quite normal nowadays. I like the idea of it honestly. Pride in your work and pride in your appearance gets the most out of people after all. Lupul can help everyone out with fashion issues... lol

As for social media.. I highly doubt that Lou will instill a rule against it. Some things have to change and adapt. He'll probably just let the players know they will be watched and any behavior that casts a shadow on the Leafs in any way will not be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad