Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello named Leafs General Manager - Presser @ 2pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
You have to live somewhere while you're building your dream house.

Just happens to be in a trailer park on the east side of the tracks right now, while the mansion in the west side is going up.

After last season the Leafs are living in a van down by the river. They aspire to trailer park status. But at least Shanny has brought in the right architects to build the mansion.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Of course not, but I think Lou and Dubas could work well together.

I know Lou is a dinosaur and all, but he did hire Sunny Mehta (another analytics guru) so it's not like he's going to ignore the extra information.

He would be stupid not to listen to input from his assistants. I just meant that it's not the equal partnership that some people are going on about.. like Lou is just here to be a mentor and it's going to be run as a committee. No way in hell that happens.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
That is rather naive. There are plenty of work environments that function perfectly well with an alpha in charge. Workplaces aren't democracies, not every viewpoint is valid or worth listening to, everyone doesn't get to be in on the decision making process, and most people are told what to do and are then expected to do it.

Exactly. It happens all the time in big businesses that a policy is developed from on high that has to be implemented by the workers. Of course there are advisers and they give their opinion but ultimately, it's up to the boss. As well, just because someone gives an opinion doesn't mean that it's good and has to be acted upon, no matter how much the assistant thinks it's the best way to go.

Swayze*

great hire

Shanny's the man

Now comes the hard part! Getting and developing the right mix of players.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Pleeeeeeease trade Phaneuf. I'll name my first born Lou. Talk some sense into Babs

If I remember correctly Lou loved Phaneuf also. I think he tried to trade for him a while back but didn't offer enough and got turned down.
From watching what Lou has done in the past, it is up to Coach Babcock to tell him which players he likes and does not like. While Lou makes the decisions, the coach usually determines the lineup.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I don't understand why people are getting so worried. Calm down.

Even if (not going to happen) Lou starts 'retooling' and not 'rebuilding', we still have plenty of solid pieces even though we've just started our rebuild - Marner, Reilly, Nylander, JVR, Kadri are all good pieces. If Lou can get atleast a total return of one 1st and two 2nds and 3rds with the short term pieces we have just signed, then we should be fine to be a good team.

However that's not enough, and I believe Lou has learned something in Jersey the past 5 years and he's committed to show that he still has it. He wants to do everything he can to win one more time, except on a much larger scale. Lou probably realized that successful dynasties can be made through the draft as witnessed with Chicago. He's realized that he has to try something new and to do that he's gone back to some old connections. He realizes that his 'disciple' (Shanahan) is doing it right although in a much less traditional way than Lou is used to. To me it seems that he's willing to be a part in building a dynasty and help in any way he can - mostly with his wisdom, connections, and GM abilities.

Lou is also in a completely different situation with the Leafs. New Jersey has had a lot of financial issues and the Kovalchuk debacle was heavily rumored to have ownership meddling. Us Leaf should know better than anyone how ownership can undermine a GMs plan. Witness puppet GM JFJ who wasn't allowed to rebuild, Fletcher then Burke.

From 1987 to roughly 2000 New Jersey was known as a draft and development team. Somewhere in the last 5 years or so they lost their identity. I've got the feeling ownership probably influenced a lot of that.

Lou will probably be looking at his own experience when he first joined New Jersey in 87 where the team had to endure a lot of pain and largely build through the draft which allowed them to grab assets top assets like Shanny + Guerin in the 87 and 89 drafts. During that time he also dealt away a very good Tom Kurvers for a mystery 1st rounder which turned into HOFer Niedermayer.

Last season removed any doubt that we need to go through a rebuild. A rebuild might not mean completely bottoming ala Buffalo style but it does mean having a longer term horizon.

Shanny is in charge. Ownership appears to get that it can't be playoffs or bust every year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If I remember correctly Lou loved Phaneuf also. I think he tried to trade for him a while back but didn't offer enough and got turned down.
From watching what Lou has done in the past, it is up to Coach Babcock to tell him which players he likes and does not like. While Lou makes the decisions, the coach usually determines the lineup.

Some had better get use to the idea that Phaneuf is probably going to remain in town for a while.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I wonder if some of you have ever had a job before. Good work environments don't have alphas dictating everything and making decisions indvidually. "Final say" should only come in to play when there is no obviously correct course of action and somebody has to take responsibility for the potential failure, and you never want to get to that point.

If there is ever a situation where Lou doesn't respect the opinion of Dubas or Hunter and chooses to ignore them and do his own thing, he should just fire them. That type on internal conflict is poison and pointless.

what kind of work environment have you been in where your boss agreed with every single one of your ideas and implemented them? Especially when you were trying to tell the boss how do to THEIR job?

Where there will be a working relationship. Lou is the general manager, he'll weigh in the "ADVICE" of his employees and make decisions based upon his own experience, what his assistants say and what babcock wants as well, but at the end of the day; it's lou's decision based upon all factors.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Brooks has a great article on the hiring of Lou. He hints that the Devils' struggles have mostly been due to staff that Lou has been too loyal towards and who didn't progress enough.

In Toronto, he'll be surrounded by very progressive thinkers, allowing him to do what he does best.

There should be no ambiguity about this: there is no one in the NHL with greater respect for authority and for the chain of command than Lamoriello. There will be no turf wars with team president Brendan Shanahan or coach Mike Babcock concerning lines of responsibility, no more terms behind the bench.

Lamoriello, for so many years the beat cop, chief of police and justice of the peace in New Jersey, will wear one hat in Toronto. He will run the hockey department. He will be open to concepts presented to him by assistant general manager Kyle Dubas and the metrics-centric administration and by assistant GM Mark Hunter.

Those from afar who believe Lamoriello to be close-minded obviously never dealt with him in a meaningful way.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/23/why-a-change-of-scenery-will-benefit-legendary-lou-lamoriello/

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Bingo. It's amazing how people really have no idea how every team has this kind of structure. It's going to be a team effort, LL or not.

I'm not worried about LL getting all Clint Eastwood on us and start making moves that go against everything done in the past couple weeks. The big thing I'm questioning if whether he still has the 'mojo' that made him a future HHOF manager and also to be the kind of hard worker he's been known to be. At his age and perhaps with his accomplishments, I don't know if he'll be as commited to the Leafs as he was with the Devils previously... if that makes sense.

I think having doubts about Lamoriello being here is fair. He hasn't been overly great over the last 5 years and his team lacked a lot of direction with a lot of questionable moves. Whether that's because of his owners or bad advice from his peers, or a mix of everything... I'm not sure. We'll see how he does with Dubas and Hunter by his side.

You do realize that what you are hinting at in the bolded is exactly why I made the comment you feel displays "having no idea", right?

What Lou brings to the table is a lot of connections and normally a keen eye for loopholes, which would be exactly why I'd be happy to have him as the negotiator.

He also has several years of recent fumbles. We have two guys who are seen as leaders in their fields. They won't have free reign but based on Lou's recent "success", I'd rather he be pretty hands off on their areas.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Maybe he can steal David Conte away too while he's at it.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't happened yet, actually. Seems logical, especially since he seems to bring a strong NCAA element, which is one we could stand to build.

I expect his hiring will be announced before too long.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
That is rather naive. There are plenty of work environments that function perfectly well with an alpha in charge. Workplaces aren't democracies, not every viewpoint is valid or worth listening to, everyone doesn't get to be in on the decision making process, and most people are told what to do and are then expected to do it.

Yea but we are talking about the group of decision makers not decision makers vs subordinates. In that dynamic the poster you quoted was right more often than not. The old way of doing things is dying slowly and companies with a focus on collaboration are putting them out of business. It would happen faster but our country has a crippling tendency towards protectionism. There is always a final decision maker but dictator type organizations are proven to be worse at pretty much everything

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One great part of this hire. We do not have to talk or listen to Hunter or Dubas as GM candidates. They are where they should be. Learning and under Lamorello.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
One great part of this hire. We do not have to talk or listen to Hunter or Dubas as GM candidates. They are where they should be. Learning and under Lamorello.

Well actually...

“[Kyle] is a young fellow who has tremendous abilities. I know his background and if he doesn’t become a general manager here — and I’m not going to be here for lifetime — it’s going to be his fault,†said Lamoriello.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

That was a long time ago. Back when people thought that Phaneuf would be progressing and become a legit stud. It has not happened, and I don't think that he will all of a sudden start getting better. Now he is just a diminishing asset on a bloated contract. If Lou can get anything semi-decent for him, and not retain any of his salary then he has done great.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Devils part with longtime scout David Conte - NHL.com

Conte spent 22 years as scouting director under Lou Lam until new GM Ray Shero cut him loose.

Lou bringing him in wouldn't be a surprise.

plus conte said he would like to come and work for the leafs and lou in a radio interview yesterday. well he didn't say it those exact words, but when asked if he would take a job with the leafs, he said the thought had definitely crossed his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille