Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello named Leafs General Manager - Presser @ 2pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You don't bring a person the stature of Lou to be a bit player . This is going to be his show for better or for worse . Lou like every GM will have people around him that will provide information and it'll be his job to take what ever information he is given and then make the final decision .

I was a bit surprised by this move since i thought Shanny was looking for an ass't to promote to the GM role , maybe while he was going through the PK trade process he realized he needed an experienced person at wheel .

anyway here's hoping it works , i can't go through another wasted decade after going through this past one and the one in the 80's

I agree, I think Shanny watched the young GMs in training in action, at the draft and how they have been able to handle the trade calls and realized he needed an experienced GM to accomplish his goals of a major roster turnover desire.

No question after analyzing the players for the past year that numerous ones are earmarked for removal as part of "scorched earth initiative" and he is likely disappointed that only Kessel has been removed to date and the return not as good as expected.

Lou's main first job is hitting that reset button hard and moving unwanted players out, preferably before next season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I wonder if some of you have ever had a job before. Good work environments don't have alphas dictating everything and making decisions indvidually. "Final say" should only come in to play when there is no obviously correct course of action and somebody has to take responsibility for the potential failure, and you never want to get to that point.

If there is ever a situation where Lou doesn't respect the opinion of Dubas or Hunter and chooses to ignore them and do his own thing, he should just fire them. That type on internal conflict is poison and pointless.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't find the media to be stupid. On balance they seem more intelligent to me than the average fan for sure. They vary in their approach. Steve Simmons, for instance, takes an approach to journalism that favours a certain shock value. Not my cup of tea, but I don't think it makes him stupid, and he garners a lot of attention which probably makes his employer happy.

I really don't know where we'd be without the media. They bring us the rumours and stories that we (many of us) eat sleep and breathe, in hockey season and out. They connect us to players and teams.

Without the media I would venture to guess that MLSE (and every other franchise) would be a lot less wealthy.

I don't like it when our coaches and GMs get in the habit of being snarky with the media. It's childish. Kyle Dubas is refreshing in that he knows how to give thoughtful answers to questions, whether they are good questions or not, without throwing a tantrum.

On that note I'm not terribly impressed with Lou's "Next question" answer, but that's just me.
I agree with much of what you say. I do think fans often use the media as a scapegoat, but I had no problem with that "next question" response. It indicates serious intent on Lou's part and a lack of willingness to suffer fools. If those reporters are as smart as you and I think they are, they will adjust or risk becoming marginalized.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Woke up today thinking, "Mike Babcock is our coach and Lou Lamoriello is our GM..."

If that's not the best morning thought as a Leafs fan I've ever had, I don't know what is. Surreal. But wonderful.

A good morning to everyone on the Leafs board.

Glad you're waking up happy. :laugh:

I am thrilled about Babcock, but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with Lou. Although he's basically a legend, I realize I don't really know much about him. I liked our management team prior to yesterday and I was quite happy to live with the inexperience factor. I'm not sure I like it better today, but I'm keeping an open mind. Will be very interesting to see how the next 12 months unfold.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
With all the inexperienced people who Shanahan has hired,
Lou Lamoriello is here to guide the team and help them avoid the pitfalls, that can happen to a young management group, he is a great communicator and he can handle the press and he runs a tight ship, one that demands excellence on and off the ice and seems to be the right man for the job.

He is not going to be here a long time as the GM, his age will dictate his tenure and will probably only last the length of his contract, which is 3 years, or possibly less and I'm sure his main job, is to Groom Dubas and in fact define the rest of the staff too.

I wish he had been here when Kessel was traded, we might have seen a lot different return on the deal and even though we did ok, it would have been interesting, to see what we would have ended up with, had he been in charge of the negotiations.

Dealing with other teams, is his area of expertise, that will define his tenure with the Leafs and to have a HHOF person of his stature doing so, can only help and many will seek his advice, especially the young management group with the Leafs.

Solid short term hiring by Shanahan.

Last edited:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I agree with much of what you say. I do think fans often use the media as a scapegoat, but I had no problem with that "next question" response. It indicates serious intent on Lou's part and a lack of willingness to suffer fools. If those reporters are as smart as you and I think they are, they will adjust or risk becoming marginalized.

I actually didn't see the question and response, so I should probably rein in my judgment. When I actually see things for myself I often have a very different response (usually less extreme) as compared to when I just read about it on HFBoards.

So I take that part back. :nod:

I think Burke and Wilson created a lot of their own problems with the media (they were the worst at it imo), but I actually liked both of them anyway, so I guess I don't consider it such a major issue.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm interested to see if Lou will be able to make some trades now that we're almost into the dull part of the off-season.

I do have more confidence in Lou being able to get good returns on guys like Bozak

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I wonder if some of you have ever had a job before. Good work environments don't have alphas dictating everything and making decisions indvidually. "Final say" should only come in to play when there is no obviously correct course of action and somebody has to take responsibility for the potential failure, and you never want to get to that point.

If there is ever a situation where Lou doesn't respect the opinion of Dubas or Hunter and chooses to ignore them and do his own thing, he should just fire them. That type on internal conflict is poison and pointless.

I think Lou basically said you don't hire people and then ignore their opinions. The best sign (for me) that he does respect people is that so many people respect him back.

I don't have a lot of time for powerful people who don't value my point-of-view, and I suspect most people don't.

I'm not sure how to feel about this hire, but I'm confident Lou means it when he says he will respect the rest of the team.

xeroy

Mar 31, 2015
Brampton
I don't understand why people are getting so worried. Calm down.

Even if (not going to happen) Lou starts 'retooling' and not 'rebuilding', we still have plenty of solid pieces even though we've just started our rebuild - Marner, Reilly, Nylander, JVR, Kadri are all good pieces. If Lou can get atleast a total return of one 1st and two 2nds and 3rds with the short term pieces we have just signed, then we should be fine to be a good team.

However that's not enough, and I believe Lou has learned something in Jersey the past 5 years and he's committed to show that he still has it. He wants to do everything he can to win one more time, except on a much larger scale. Lou probably realized that successful dynasties can be made through the draft as witnessed with Chicago. He's realized that he has to try something new and to do that he's gone back to some old connections. He realizes that his 'disciple' (Shanahan) is doing it right although in a much less traditional way than Lou is used to. To me it seems that he's willing to be a part in building a dynasty and help in any way he can - mostly with his wisdom, connections, and GM abilities.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I am thrilled about Babcock, but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with Lou. Although he's basically a legend, I realize I don't really know much about him. I liked our management team prior to yesterday and I was quite happy to live with the inexperience factor. I'm not sure I like it better today, but I'm keeping an open mind. Will be very interesting to see how the next 12 months unfold.

I think he'll be fine.

He'll utilize the assets available, and that includes Dubas and Hunter and ...

I do think with Babcock and Lamoriello that some players will be moved if they can't or won't conform. I think some of the recent coaches have given some players chance after chance because of the win now approach they had and the lack of talent on the team.

Lou won't accept individuals doing their own thing, and Mike has no reason to worry about winning.

Two of the most boring teams (according some posters I've read - opinions will probably change now) over the years have been the Devils and Wings.

So the Leafs bring in two of the biggest influences of that boringness.

Gotta love that!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Rebuild, retool are all just words, call it what you like. They are going to try and build an organization that can compete every year, simple as that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't understand why people are getting so worried. Calm down.

Even if (not going to happen) Lou starts 'retooling' and not 'rebuilding', we still have plenty of solid pieces even though we've just started our rebuild - Marner, Reilly, Nylander, JVR, Kadri are all good pieces. If Lou can get atleast a total return of one 1st and two 2nds and 3rds with the short term pieces we have just signed, then we should be fine to be a good team.

However that's not enough, and I believe Lou has learned something in Jersey the past 5 years and he's committed to show that he still has it. He wants to do everything he can to win one more time, except on a much larger scale. Lou probably realized that successful dynasties can be made through the draft as witnessed with Chicago. He's realized that he has to try something new and to do that he's gone back to some old connections. He realizes that his 'disciple' (Shanahan) is doing it right although in a much less traditional way than Lou is used to. To me it seems that he's willing to be a part in building a dynasty and help in any way he can - mostly with his wisdom, connections, and GM abilities.

Lou, much like Babcock, is very accomplished .. The only thing that can cement their legacies at this point would be bringing a Cup to Toronto. That would bring them to another level.

Whether Lou is technically the GM or has retired and moved on in the next several years if the Leafs do win a Cup with the core they're building - Lou will have to be credited for it

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Rebuild, retool are all just words, call it what you like. They are going to try and build an organization that can compete every year, simple as that.

Yep. Someone said it well yesterday, I can't remember who, but Shanahan has never called this a "re-"anything. He's just building. Like taking something from scratch and creating something new, he's building the entire foundation the way he sees fit.

No real need for labels, as long as you can understand the philosophy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yep. Someone said it well yesterday, I can't remember who, but Shanahan has never called this a "re-"anything. He's just building. Like taking something from scratch and creating something new, he's building the entire foundation the way he sees fit.

No real need for labels, as long as you can understand the philosophy.

You have to live somewhere while you're building your dream house.

Just happens to be in a trailer park on the east side of the tracks right now, while the mansion in the west side is going up.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
From what I've gathered about Lou and his stance against rebuilds, it's not that he doesn't want to take a long-term approach. It's more that he believes that you put a good organization in place and don't sacrifice your identity and will to compete just because your goal might be some years down the line. He doesn't believe in doing a Buffalo, he believes in doing a Calgary to put it simply.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

Hah - thanks!

Same here. I'm just basking in the moment though. It's more the continued confidence in the assembly and the decision making affecting a very definable plan.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Lou reports to Shanahan, and that would require Shanny to be on board with Lou firing Dubas or Hunter (his own hires).

Lou at his age is short-term and Dubas and Hunter are considered long-term so Lou should be here mentoring the youth not removing it.

As far as Shanny goes I'm believe its Last In (Lou) and first out if things are not working out.. I don't think Lou is here to clear out the management team that has been assembled before his arrival.

Lou simply has last say and can put as much value into the opinion of Dubas and Hunter as he likes.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I agree, I think Shanny watched the young GMs in training in action, at the draft and how they have been able to handle the trade calls and realized he needed an experienced GM to accomplish his goals of a major roster turnover desire.

They were talking to Lou for 3 months, so there goes that theory. :laugh:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I don't find the media to be stupid. On balance they seem more intelligent to me than the average fan for sure. They vary in their approach. Steve Simmons, for instance, takes an approach to journalism that favours a certain shock value. Not my cup of tea, but I don't think it makes him stupid, and he garners a lot of attention which probably makes his employer happy.

Pay attention to what he says, not how he says it, and you will see that the guy is a know nothing idiot who thinks he has all the answers all the time.

I really don't know where we'd be without the media. They bring us the rumours and stories that we (many of us) eat sleep and breathe, in hockey season and out. They connect us to players and teams.

Without the media I would venture to guess that MLSE (and every other franchise) would be a lot less wealthy.

The media does the same thing in other cities without the crap that the Toronto media spouts.

I don't like it when our coaches and GMs get in the habit of being snarky with the media. It's childish.

Many in the Toronto media bring it upon themselves. I don't see any problem with someone from the team basically saying they aren't going to put up with the media's crap - like Lou did in the press conference yesterday when someone asked a stupid question that served no purpose other than to stir crap.

On that note I'm not terribly impressed with Lou's "Next question" answer, but that's just me.

So you think he should have indulged someone who was simply trying to stir things up? Why should he do that? Why should he indulge them?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Pleeeeeeease trade Phaneuf. I'll name my first born Lou. Talk some sense into Babs

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
At the end of last season HF Boards said "let's run out and get us some good management". Shanahan, sipping his Wiser's, said "no, let's wait and get all the best."

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

That is rather naive. There are plenty of work environments that function perfectly well with an alpha in charge. Workplaces aren't democracies, not every viewpoint is valid or worth listening to, everyone doesn't get to be in on the decision making process, and most people are told what to do and are then expected to do it.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
It seems as though the draft pick compensation for hiring former Presidents, GM's, and coaches tends to punish teams lower in the standings? (ie. Buffalo, Edmonton, and Toronto). This in itself should be a reason for the league to reconsider this policy.

That being said, having Mike Babcock as coach and Lou Lamoreillo as GM, is something that I couldn't even have imagined prior to the off-season. I was happy with Dubas as the GM, but Lou will help mentor him. And there are very few people in hockey I'd rather have mentoring him, Ken Holland, Jim Nill, and Scotty Bowman come to mind, but its a short list.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Pay attention to what he says, not how he says it, and you will see that the guy is a know nothing idiot who thinks he has all the answers all the time.

Steve Simmonds tries way too hard to ask the "tough" questions and ends up looking like an idiot most of the time

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
This interview with Shanahan outlines how he expects the team dynamics to function: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-105...-but-will-also-be-one-of-many-voices-1.335227

He mentions that Lou's decisions will be make 'with us', and just like when Mark Hunter wants to draft a player, or when Dubas wants to sign a player, they have to justify it to the group.

He mentions that Lou's history of consulting with people is undersold. He points out that no one who worked with Lou quit their job, but they clearly would have had they been shut out of the consultation.

To me, this is Shanahan betting on himself. He's brought together very talented but headstrong people and he's betting that he can get them all to work together and utilize the best skills of every individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad