Losing streak lies ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I'm not seeing any real threats here of a sustained losing streak.

Freddy has been lights out good and dialed in this past month.. With strong goaltending that seems to level out peaks and valleys and so would prevent a sustained losing streak. IMO

Leafs have enough offensive talent to overcome low scoring battles and finish ahead of the opposition which also prevents large slides.

Most important we have one of the worlds best coaches and that also prohibits long losing streaks from happening.

I'm not worried at all here if the Leafs end of playing .500 hockey and winning and losing some during a down swing for the team.

currently leafs have 33GP and 41 points. So if Leafs were to go .5 from now on in their reaming 49 games that is about 49 points; for a grand total of 82GP and 90 points. is this good enough to make the playoffs?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It helps if Babs doesn't put Nylander on the fourth line. Remember that game when the Leafs got to the shootout? Nylander ended up potting the winning goal. There was not even a single iota of joy on his face. He just looked pissed off after scoring. Then again, I'd be pissed off too if I were one of the top scorers for the team, and put on the fourth line, just like last season.

If I was Nylander I would be ticked too not because I am on the 4th line but because some players on this team SUCK and get a long leash; but I make a few mistakes and I am in a dog house?

If everybody was held accountable and had the same yardstick for measurement I probably wouldn't be as ticked off

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
if i
100% agree.

The best team doesn't always win the Cup.

The hottest team in the spring does. Have a few players catch fire, and a goalie who starts feeling good about himself? You can do some damage.
could like this i would

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
They just have to work hard. Do the right things and take advantage of their opportunities. Work hard and good things happen.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
probably not. it all depends on how the rest of the division shapes up. at least one of boston/montreal will get 91 points.
currently leafs have 33GP and 41 points. So if Leafs were to go .5 from now on in their reaming 49 games that is about 49 points; for a grand total of 82GP and 90 points. is this good enough to make the playoffs?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I haven't liked how we've played in a while. Freddy won't stay hot forever. Hopefully Matthews gets back in and up to speed before too much longer.

Suppose Freddie does play well for a long stretch and leafs make the playoffs; how much gas would Freddie have left in the tank for when the competition just amps up even more....

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
here comes the good old PANIC attitude of a typical hockey fan.

i have confidence our management team will not have any knee jerk band aid solutions. they have been around long enough to know that playing and working hard is the way to push past some weaker games.

we're going to have up and downs during a season like every single team. deal with it.

I'd rather have this thread than the thread(s) saying "There is no way Leafs miss the playoffs" jinx thread only to see the 18 wheeler falling off a cliff

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
100% agree.

The best team doesn't always win the Cup.

The hottest team in the spring does. Have a few players catch fire, and a goalie who starts feeling good about himself? You can do some damage.

My crystal ball theory is that Babs is on purpose making team play sluggish at present; he wants the team to "peak" at the right moment....

;)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
My crystal ball theory is that Babs is on purpose making team play sluggish at present; he wants the team to "peak" at the right moment....

;)
thats what i'm kind of hoping is gonna happen but its the leafs. if anything the opposite will happen

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd rather have this thread than the thread(s) saying "There is no way Leafs miss the playoffs" jinx thread only to see the 18 wheeler falling off a cliff
Both will have equal bearing on what will actually happen.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
thats what i'm kind of hoping is gonna happen but its the leafs. if anything the opposite will happen

LOL

Seriously, being a Leafs fan is awesome and horrific at the same time lol

I am banking on my theory and this is the only way I will remain sane otherwise I will have to dig for my pitchfork which I locked away and threw away the key when babs was hired :laugh:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I wonder if Willie and Mitch were scoring, would we be challenging Tampa for the first OV spot?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Both will have equal bearing on what will actually happen.

so you are not a superstitious guy I get it; don't tell other folks to not be. Its the Leafs; and it could be that in the past having a jinx thread of "no way leafs miss the playoffs" had the leafs crashing twice (Wilson and then Carlyle);

but at least there is some evidence.

I have also noticed that whenever we collectively (on HF) feel Leafs are gonna win; we end up losing more often than not and vice-versa.

Hon mention:

In Game 7 against Boston the moment Kadri had scored to make the score 4-1 every Leafs fan was sure that the game is a done deal; and then started posted on the main boards; and we all know what happened.

superstition you say? I think not! ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When Andersen inevitably starts to dip a bit in his sv% the team will need to find a solution elsewhere in the lineup - namely allow their young skilled guys to be in position to succeed and keep that puck in the other teams end.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
probably not. it all depends on how the rest of the division shapes up. at least one of boston/montreal will get 91 points.

If Leafs make playoffs they have to make it by being top3 in the division; there is no way any of the Atlantic teams make it to the playoffs as a wildcard. Metropolitan division is just way too strong!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If Leafs make playoffs they have to make it by being top3 in the division; there is no way any of the Atlantic teams make it to the playoffs as a wildcard. Metropolitan division is just way too strong!
yah exactly. we should aim for 95 points imo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
yah exactly. we should aim for 95 points imo

Using Babs formula of getting 6 points every 5 games leads to about

96 points in 80 games with 2 additional freebee games.

in fraction it is about 1.2 points per game; right now Leafs have 41 points in 33 games that is about 1.25 points per game.

If Leafs continue to muster 6 points every 5 games they will get to 96 points in 80 games.

6 points every 5 games can be:

• 3W 2L
  • 2W 2OTL 1L

@wingman75 was keeping track of this, I don't know what happened to that thread. I really liked that thread.

P.S. This does not include home ice advantage. If Leafs were to finish 2nd or 3rd they play within the division, if Leafs finish first they will play one of the Metropolitan teams... lol

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Since babcock likes to play match ups; having home ice would be much more preferable anyway, wouldn't you say?
for sure...

I notice he likes to use Rielly/Hansey with the Matthews line if the other teams use there #1 line against Matthews and he will use Rielly/Hansey with Kadri line when he wants to shutdown a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad