Losing streak lies ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yep, watching the game last night they looked like a bunch of good parts that didn't fit well together.

IMO part of that is self inflicted. The forward lines are rarely the same 3 guys, its hard to create any chemistry when you don't know your line mates habits. For all the science and advance stats the Leafs use, they are slow, slow to the puck , slow to fore check, slow through the neutral zone, slow to adjust to the other teams game pan, just plain slow.

IMO they look like a team going through the motions. they do not have the same hunger,the same tenacity, the same compete as last year.

If you are going to ban Nylander to the 4th line, just bench him, it does nothing for his confidence or help him learn the game playing on the 4th line, stop p***yfooting around and just bench him. Bench Marner for a few games, he isn't scoring , he isn't successful on the forecheck like last year. The fact he is not driving his line should be reason enough to send him to the press box. If you consider the contribution the 2 sophomores are bringing would you lose all that much if you bench them and let Leivo and Kapanen play?
The obvious issue has been the teams starts. I realize they're one of the top scoring teams in the first but in many games they'll score and go up a goal much of the time because Andersen stood on his head. I want the team from the third period last night. Night and day from the team we saw in the first two.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs seem to be either a defensively responsible but offensively weak team like they were in 2016, or they can shoot out the lights like they did in 2017, but with very porous defensive play. Can't seem to put the two together, and also starting to really miss Auston Matthews.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If this team continues to play like they have (say over the past 10 games), there is no way in hell we make the playoffs. How could we? I am really disappointed in what I am watching lately. Lots of time to get things going again, but my god this is atrocious.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Let us lose. Changes needed to be made way before the losing streak. Posters and the coach could easily just fall on “But we’re winning” nvm the fact that our goalies were putting on ridiculous numbers while the team was playing like trash.

It's too bad our coaching staff appeared to agree with those posters.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Let us lose. Changes needed to be made way before the losing streak. Posters and the coach could easily just fall on “But we’re winning” nvm the fact that our goalies were putting on ridiculous numbers while the team was playing like trash.
As nice as it is to play the "I told you so" game on HFBoards, I could seriously give a f*** about that.

I want the Leafs back and winning. This is far and away the most dynamic and skilled lineup we've had in a VERY LONG TIME. I WANT IT BACK GOD DAMNIT.

My god, last year and the first part of this year you just couldn't take your eyes off the screen watching this team. This past stretch has made me want to vomit, complete 180 of what they were.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
As nice as it is to play the "I told you so" game on HFBoards, I could seriously give a **** about that.

I want the Leafs back and winning. This is far and away the most dynamic and skilled lineup we've had in a VERY LONG TIME. I WANT IT BACK GOD DAMNIT.

My god, last year and the first part of this year you just couldn't take your eyes off the screen watching this team. This past stretch has made me want to vomit, complete 180 of what they were.

While winning now is nice I want it to be sustainable not just a flash in the pan like it has looked like earlier this season. I'd rather lose now while NHL ready prospects like Kapanen, Leivo, Sosh and Dermott get their feet wet in the NHL and progress their games than win games with Nylander being bounced around like a problem child, while watching Terrible Vets and okay hard workers get free passes because they are good pros. At the end of the day your team isn't going to win a Stanley Cup when Hyman is your #1 LW. Why not make use of this time to develop players that matter long term instead of chasing a second round exit.

I was sold a proper rebuild and feel cheated by this half *** Burkian like rebuild on the fly.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
While winning now is nice I want it to be sustainable not just a flash in the pan like it has looked like earlier this season. I'd rather lose now while NHL ready prospects like Kapanen, Leivo, Sosh and Dermott get their feet wet in the NHL and progress their games than win games with Nylander being bounced around like a problem child, while watching Terrible Vets and okay hard workers get free passes because they are good pros. At the end of the day your team isn't going to win a Stanley Cup when Hyman is your #1 LW. Why not make use of this time to develop players that matter long term instead of chasing a second round exit.

I was sold a proper rebuild and feel cheated by this half *** Burkian like rebuild on the fly.
Agree with everything here. Plus who wants the leafs to win playing dump and chase Carlyle style hockey. Rather see them lose until they change to a puck possession play style

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

players who consistently play the style of game a coach expects don't get bounced around. nylander needs to do what is expected of him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
believe that kind of garbage if you want to.

I've had enough of the mindless pom pom waiving bull**** pro Babcock throw around as they try to defend some of the dumbest **** imaginable

Polak, he's a gud pro pity he's absolute ****
20 minutes for Komorov, hell yes that's a great idea
Staple Hyman to every skill player on the team, let's have some of that
Play Zaitsev more than any other defenseman, awesome plan
Staple skill guys on the 4th line because they "don't play the right way"
Talk about how good the team looks as the team get there teeth kicked in

But sure let's turn off our brains and bow to our coaching overload who knows all and sees all

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I've had enough of the mindless pom pom waiving bull**** pro Babcock throw around as they try to defend some of the dumbest **** imaginable

Polak, he's a gud pro pity he's absolute ****
20 minutes for Komorov, hell yes that's a great idea
Staple Hyman to every skill player on the team, let's have some of that
Play Zaitsev more than any other defenseman, awesome plan
Staple skill guys on the 4th line because they "don't play the right way"
Talk about how good the team looks as the team get there teeth kicked in

But sure let's turn off our brains and bow to our coaching overload who knows all and sees all

the typical hockey fan panics and knee jerk reacts and cries when his team loses 2 or 3 games.

the experienced fan appreciates the ebbs and flows on an nhl regular season.

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
f***ing blows that Marleau probably isn't willing to play C long term, the Hyman-Marleau-Brown line has looked awesome while being the first one that has Hyman looking actually skilled, could definitely use it as the match up line as well. Could use that with lines of Leivo/Kap-Matthews-Nylander that looked magic (with Leivo), and then a JVR-Kadri-Marner line that at least has JVR-Kadri and JVR-Marner with good history. Toss Bozak&Komarov on the 4th line with Martin for easy comp, and that's a lineup that no one gets hated on except in slumps.

the typical hockey fan panics and knee jerk reacts and cries when his team loses 2 or 3 games.

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
The knowledgeable fan knows looking like crap while winning doesn't bode well for future winning, and future winning can only be expected once things are fixed.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I wonder how much that game planning against the Leafs has contributed to them sucking? I am not a fan of the lines definitely but it seems like at least two things are happening that the Leafs can't cope with. First, they can't defend against zone entries, teams just walk on in on them no problem, they don't bother to dump and chase. Leafs seem to dump and chase a lot now but when they do attempt zone entries with the puck they seem to get stood up very easily. Second, lately it seems like teams are collapsing their defense against the Leafs but they also aggressively challenge our defense leading to lots of missed nets and blocks. Maybe I'm wrong but if what I am saying sounds plausible what sort of remedies are there to this problem and also how might Babcock be erring in his response to other team's game plans?
I'm guessing one solution would be a bit more variety and risk taking, particularly by the defence just to break up the systemic defence that stymies our systemic offence. I dunno.

edit: And woah! Just found an article that could relate by Jim Corsi himself: Three ways to beat collapsing defenses

Last edited:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

They have been getting outplayed a lot lately, though, even while winning. Getting outshot badly, offense gone dry, kept afloat by goaltending. It is concerning.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

A knowledgeable fan knows what a **** sandwich looks like and a team that has been carried by unsustainably good goaltending since November

Anybody who couldn't see this coming is drinking the kool-aid

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
They have been getting outplayed a lot lately, though, even while winning. Getting outshot badly, offense gone dry, kept afloat by goaltending. It is concerning.

yes we certainly need to pick up our socks. that said we quite simply need to work through it and not abandon everything we've worked for like the organization has done in the past.

the impatient fan had his day in the sun for a few decades, now they should just shut up and quit whining because we've lost 2 or 3 games. we are NOT going to forsake everything for the impatient fan like the team has done to often in the past.

The knowledgeable fan knows looking like crap while winning doesn't bode well for future winning, and future winning can only be expected once things are fixed.

yes we sure do. the experience knowledgeable fan doesn't scream for knee jerk reactions and band aid solutions. we appreciate the ebbs and flows on an nhl regular season. we are patient and wise.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
A knowledgeable fan knows what a **** sandwich looks like and a team that has been carried by unsustainably good goaltending since November

Anybody who couldn't see this coming is drinking the kool-aid

awww. you're the type of fan who screams for change after losing a game and conversely plans a parade when we win a game.

good luck.

i am fully confident this team is just fine and will continue to be one of the stronger teams in the league. please don't hurt yourself jumping off and on the bandwagon.

Reactions: realgoodleafs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
awww. you're the type of fan who screams for change after losing a game and conversely plans a parade when we win a game.

good luck.

i am fully confident this team is just fine and will continue to be one of the stronger teams in the league. please don't hurt yourself jumping off and on the bandwagon.

Look up my posting history sport, I've said we should sell at the TDL and some outstanding goaltending didn't make me believe this team is something it isn't

I don't need to deny reality to support the team and pretend there something there not

Save me the mindless bandwagon bull****, this is a playoff bubble team in any division not the Atlantic

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Look up my posting history sport, I've said we should sell at the TDL and some outstanding goaltending didn't make me believe this team is something it isn't

I don't need to deny reality to support the team and pretend there something there not

Save me the mindless bandwagon bull****, this is a playoff bubble team in any division not the Atlantic

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad