Losing streak lies ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's a long season, I expect 2 or 3 "slumps" every year, no matter. We're in a great spot points wise, it's December, not April, that will be all that matters, how we play then. Last night's game was a bore fest, I didn't think either team was particularly compelling, it's not like we got ran out of the building. Also, go read some other team coverage, you'll note how flawed they are, how they need to do this, how the coach stinks, blah de blah blah.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Probably. It was bound to happen. I'm sure Komarov and Hyman playing over 18 minutes game will break the streak soon enough.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
i think the Leafs have played quite well this year BUT is this gonna be that blip that every team seems to have during a seas9n.

A long losing streak? 5,6,7 in a row?

The "Blip" has kind of been ongoing for a few weeks, however the team has won due to its goaltending. That bodes well for said "Blip" ending shortly.

I would expect a bounce back tonight, and a return to previous form shortly.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The "Blip" has kind of been ongoing for a few weeks, however the team has won due to its goaltending. That bodes well for said "Blip" ending shortly.

I would expect a bounce back tonight, and a return to previous form shortly.
As was said yesterday on air, why should the Leafs apologize for good goaltending, other teams don't and people were complaining when we didn't have it. That Andersen is cementing himself as a stud goalie is only encouraging for a playoff run, where goaltending is everything.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Is this what it has come to? Guessing how long that a team that is 20-12-1 and tied for 6th in the entire league is going to go on a losing streak?

As good as our record is Boston is only 7 points back with 4 games in hand. Without amazing, stand on his head goal-tending we could be as easily 16-16-1 or worse. This team may have a good record but this team has not played well all year. With the exception of the Calgary game , I cant recall a complete game this year.

The 18 wheeler has been in park and idling next to that cliff all season.

Reactions: ToMaLe and Slyfox

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
As was said yesterday on air, why should the Leafs apologize for good goaltending, other teams don't and people were complaining when we didn't have it. That Andersen is cementing himself as a stud goalie is only encouraging for a playoff run, where goaltending is everything.
said by who, that moron Poulin? Him defending the Leafs play by saying Andersen is part of the team is one of the best warning signs that something is wrong

Reactions: Tak7

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We have Detroit tomorrow, a very winnable game.

The last two games were Philly and Minny. They were 13 and 6 points behind us in the standings before we played them. Those were both winnable games too.

We can't take any team for granted or coast into any games. We need to get going right out of the gate. Last night there didn't seem to be any urgency in the Leafs play until we were down in the 3rd period, and then all of a sudden we started creating chances, driving the net, etc.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The last two games were Philly and Minny. They were 13 and 6 points behind us in the standings before we played them. Those were both winnable games too.

In fairness it Minny and Philly - those teams each were on 3 game winning streaks heading into their match up with the Leafs. Detroit is on a 3 game losing streak. Even on a back to back the Leafs have little excuse to not get a win out of this one.

Where the Leafs are in the standings every game should be winnable save for like Tampa, LA, or St Louis. However their record is not necessarily indicative of their play, as @Bluelines mentioned, and I think the Leafs are fortunate that they were able to outscore Andersen's issues/team defense issues in October and have Andy save their butts when the offense started to dry up.

So now the Leafs have a themselves in a nice spot that a slump like this won't put them behind. And the quicker they figure it out (which they have the potential to) the better off they'll be. It's just part of the ebbs and flows of the season. The Leafs are still a good team, that should be ahead of the WC spots in the playoffs. But they're not in the contender category yet.

Now the offense drying up is partially because Matthews went down with an injury. Matthews' carrying the load really helped mask Nylander/Marner's lack of goal scoring issues. Now those kids are still not producing currently and there isn't anyone there to help carry the load like Matthews. But it's good for their development in the long run I believe.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

We can't take any team for granted or coast into any games. We need to get going right out of the gate. Last night there didn't seem to be any urgency in the Leafs play until we were down in the 3rd period, and then all of a sudden we started creating chances, driving the net, etc.
Agreed, you have to show up every game to win in the NHL. With that said though Detroit has 1 win in their past 11 games and have surrendered 48 goals in that time span. If there is a team we can break out of this funk against, it has to be the Wings.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
the guys are tired and beat up. They might not snap out of it until the new year. However if we get an injury to a top D or Andersen this could snowball.

We will see what they are made of. Everyone is getting tested right now. Good teams get themselves sorted out

Reactions: PromisedLand

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Meh. Rough stretches happen for all teams throughout an 82 game season.

The best team in the East, the Lightning, went 2-4 from Nov. 18th to Nov. 30th, giving up 205 shots against over that two week stretch.
And crap teams like the Habs look like world beaters. No sense getting high or low when you know going into a LONG season there will be rough patches. Bottom line, were well positioned and there is room for improvement. I'll take it!!

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
As good as our record is Boston is only 7 points back with 4 games in hand. Without amazing, stand on his head goal-tending we could be as easily 16-16-1 or worse. This team may have a good record but this team has not played well all year. With the exception of the Calgary game , I cant recall a complete game this year.

The 18 wheeler has been in park and idling next to that cliff all season.

And Boston could lose all 4 of those games. They have to be played. People always kinda half count games in hand as future wins to fit a panic narrative.

Relax. We're a good team who hasn't played our best hockey, a like good teams do, found ways to win.

Reactions: deepz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm not seeing any real threats here of a sustained losing streak.

Freddy has been lights out good and dialed in this past month.. With strong goaltending that seems to level out peaks and valleys and so would prevent a sustained losing streak. IMO

Leafs have enough offensive talent to overcome low scoring battles and finish ahead of the opposition which also prevents large slides.

Most important we have one of the worlds best coaches and that also prohibits long losing streaks from happening.

I'm not worried at all here if the Leafs end of playing .500 hockey and winning and losing some during a down swing for the team.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
And Boston could lose all 4 of those games. They have to be played. People always kinda half count games in hand as future wins to fit a panic narrative.

Relax. We're a good team who hasn't played our best hockey, a like good teams do, found ways to win.
We don't have a best hockey becaus we're not a good team.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
In fairness it Minny and Philly - those teams each were on 3 game winning streaks heading into their match up with the Leafs. Detroit is on a 3 game losing streak. Even on a back to back the Leafs have little excuse to not get a win out of this one.

Where the Leafs are in the standings every game should be winnable save for like Tampa, LA, or St Louis. However their record is not necessarily indicative of their play, as @Bluelines mentioned, and I think the Leafs are fortunate that they were able to outscore Andersen's issues/team defense issues in October and have Andy save their butts when the offense started to dry up.

So now the Leafs have a themselves in a nice spot that a slump like this won't put them behind. And the quicker they figure it out (which they have the potential to) the better off they'll be. It's just part of the ebbs and flows of the season. The Leafs are still a good team, that should be ahead of the WC spots in the playoffs. But they're not in the contender category yet.

Now the offense drying up is partially because Matthews went down with an injury. Matthews' carrying the load really helped mask Nylander/Marner's lack of goal scoring issues. Now those kids are still not producing currently and there isn't anyone there to help carry the load like Matthews. But it's good for their development in the long run I believe.

It helps if Babs doesn't put Nylander on the fourth line. Remember that game when the Leafs got to the shootout? Nylander ended up potting the winning goal. There was not even a single iota of joy on his face. He just looked pissed off after scoring. Then again, I'd be pissed off too if I were one of the top scorers for the team, and put on the fourth line, just like last season.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think Babcock likes where we are at, because of how much tighter we are playing without the puck - compared to the California trip, for example.

I think he sees our better defensive play, and is banking on the offense coming back eventually on it's own. Let's face it, there's a ton of offensive skill on this team that you'd expect it to eventually shine through even if it's been suppressed over the past few games.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
NOpe. Advanced stats aren't great, allowing too many shots not getting enough shots relying on andy too much. Not the recipe for a good team.
Oh you mean in the last 5 or 6 games.

Good thing teams are ranked in the standings on advanced stats. Teams are ranked by points and the leafs have more than most of the league.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Oh you mean in the last 5 or 6 games.

Good thing teams are ranked in the standings on advanced stats. Teams are ranked by points and the leafs have more than most of the league.
So if Pittsburgh gets more points that Columbus, continuing to play they way they do, does that mean they are a better team?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So if Pittsburgh gets more points that Columbus, continuing to play they way they do, does that mean they are a better team?
Yes.

Pittsburgh won the cup 2 years in a row and weren't ranked very high in their advanced stats. Hard to argue they weren't the best team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad