Looking Back at the Leafs two years ago and what it means for rebuilding teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think the plan wasn’t to be this good this fast but getting Matthews changed the plan quite a bit imo
Of course but they've also continually made good moves to improve the overall team. They did not get "Lucky" by acquiring a starter. They scouted Freddie for months prior to that trade.

Reactions: bionic

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Of course but they've also continually made good moves to improve the overall team. They did not get "Lucky" by acquiring a starter. They scouted Freddie for months prior to that trade.

Agreed. Anderson was a great pickup. I really wanted him in Calgary but Anaheim didn’t want to trade inside the division so we ended up with Brian Elliot lol. Toronto has good hockey minds that are sticking to the process. Edmonton saw Mcdavid and decided to go all in trying to contend right away and it blew up in their face

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The Leafs are way overrated. Their rebuild might have been okay but it's just because how awful they were before. If you watch them against Pittsburgh, you can see how far they are from being a legitimate contender. They are horrible without the puck.

Watched the whole game and it was great. Both teams had stretches of dominance and the Pens buried more chances than the Leafs (even though the Leafs had the better overall chances).

Most Leaf fans were happy with the way the team played but were more disappointed with the refs and late coaching (and finishing all those high danger chances). I take that effort on the road against a Pens team who has been near unbeatable there every time.

The Leafs are also into the group of cup contenders this year along with teams like Winnipeg and Dallas. Not one of the favorites but they certainly are in the conversation.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Agreed. completely failed rebuild. From last overall to currently 7th overall and on pace for 103 in 2 years is unacceptable. Trade Matthews now.

The leafs have done well however not the first for successful rebuild, its simply taken the leafs over 50 plus years to figure it out. Moving forward, all teams are evolving. Leafs have to play there cards right to maintain competitive team going forward. That's the bigger challenge. I'm more impressed with teams who have maintained competitive roster for years. Pittsburg, Boston, Detroit, Rangers, Blues, Kings etc....

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The leafs have done well however not the first for successful rebuild, its simply taken the leafs over 50 plus years to figure it out. Moving forward, all teams are evolving. Leafs have to play there cards right to maintain competitive team going forward. That's the bigger challenge. I'm more impressed with teams who have maintained competitive roster for years. Pittsburg, Boston, Detroit, Rangers, Blues, Kings etc....
I really hate comments like this. Who cares about what they did in the 60's/70's/80's/90's?
Ever heard of Harrold Ballard? Were they supposed to win with arguably the worst owner in sports history? Read up on him. It's shocking.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I really hate comments like this. Who cares about what they did in the 60's/70's/80's/90's?
Ever heard of Harrold Ballard? Were they supposed to win with arguably the worst owner in sports history? Read up on him. It's shocking.

I know, crap happens. Facts are facts and history repeats itself.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah but it would be nice if people who say it are aware of history if they are stating things like this.
And I am not sure if Harrold Ballard is just "Crap Happens". Child molestation in his arena and becoming a convicted felon doesn't just happen to every NHL team.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
[mod]

2008 Luke Schenn #5 (from NYI, Toronto had the #7 pick) Turned into JVR#2 overall
2009 Nazem Kadri #7
2012 Morgan Rielly #5
2014 Willy Nylander #8
2015 Marner #4
2016 Matthews #1

Are those players on the Leafs roster today? Yes.
Were they picked in the top5/top10? Yes.
Is 8 years the better part of a decade? Yes.

Don’t forget in 2010 they had second overall pick and traded it for Kessel. So yes they were rebuilding for a decade.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

This actually the first real modern rebuild I have seen as a Leaf fan.

Before Shanahan, there were a series of retools on the fly. Ever year the goal was to make the playoffs at all cost.

MLSE had no appettite for a complete tear down. From Ferguson to Burke, MLSE traded young prospects and picks for a quick fix.

The waffle-gate and salute-gate changed all of that. Shanahan began clearing cap space and traded core pieces to start fresh. There was talk of pain by Babcock in media.

MLSE kept and were fortunate to have some younger talent left over from the previous management team.

But make no mistake, Shanahan’s arrival marked a fundamental change in MLSE management approach and philosophy.

This was a complete rebuild from top to bottom. There was massive investment in new coaching, upper level management, scouting and analytics team. The changes were also seen in the AHL team.

All of these only done under Shanahan’s leadership.

While nothing has been accomplished so far.

This is the most optimistic I have been since the Sundin era.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
The Leafs are way overrated. Their rebuild might have been okay but it's just because how awful they were before. If you watch them against Pittsburgh, you can see how far they are from being a legitimate contender. They are horrible without the puck.
I can pretty much garuntee you didn't watch the game. I'm not going to describe to you how close that game really was because I really don't think you care. But remember this, they did beat the pens earlier this year. Does that mean the Pens were far from being contenders then?

Reactions: Garthinater

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This actually the first real modern rebuild I have seen as a Leaf fan.

Before Shanahan, there were a series of retools on the fly. Ever year the goal was to make the playoffs at all cost.

MLSE had no appettite for a complete tear down. From Ferguson to Burke, MLSE traded young prospects and picks for a quick fix.

The waffle-gate and salute-gate changed all of that. Shanahan began clearing cap space and traded core pieces to start fresh. There was talk of pain by Babcock in media.

MLSE kept and were fortunate to have some younger talent left over from the previous management team.

But make no mistake, Shanahan’s arrival marked a fundamental change in MLSE management approach and philosophy.

This was a complete rebuild from top to bottom. There was massive investment in new coaching, upper level management, scouting and analytics team. The changes were also seen in the AHL team.

All of these only done under Shanahan’s leadership.

While nothing has been accomplished so far.

This is the most optimistic I have been since the Sundin era.

The leafs are better making smart draft choices. Not a leaf fan however it must be refreshing. I miss Burke days.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Pens looked really bad defensively last night and they are my pick for the cup. Despite all cup winning teams having major flaws with the cap in place, people still expect the cup winner to have an Oilers 1985 type lineup to win.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
It’s hilarious how some of you think the Leafs have arrived and are somehow a blueprint for success after 2 (two) years of making it to the post-season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It’s hilarious how some of you think the Leafs have arrived and are somehow a blueprint for success after 2 (two) years of making it to the post-season.
Given the expectations were on here that they would not make the playoffs in Babcock's 8 years on the team, it's justified.
It's hilarious seeing people now claim this isn't a big deal.
None of you saw this coming, so stop acting like they have accomplished squat.
Many of you were too busy being in love with Buffalo and their future cup wins.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
As a leaf fan I certainly don't think they have arrived. The core is to young and there is still pieces missing. Like you said its been two years and while they are ahead more then I thought they would be there is still work to be done.
But what they have done so far is vault this team ahead of other building teams that many people thought were light years ahead of ours.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
It's pretty simple. Toronto got the right executives and coach in place.
The right coach. Not really s big fan. He’s a decent coach but always had good players in Detroit. Seems like he bailed when they started to go downhill. Now he’s got s better base.
They’re OP is good. I’d give more credit to Mr. Devil than to Shanahan.
But then again, I’m looking from the outside. I may be wrong.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Flyers rebuild is really not that good. Their forwards prime and d prime will barely overlap so their window is quite small. Oh well.

The window will be larger once Frost, Hart, Lindblom, Morin and others come...and they didn't tank like Leafs for the past 8 years and get high draft picks and treat their fans to a garbage product....yet they have had similar success.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The window will be larger once Frost, Hart, Lindblom, Morin and others come...and they didn't tank like Leafs for the past 8 years and get high draft picks and treat their fans to a garbage product....yet they have had similar success.
There aren't any potential elite forwards in the Flyers system unless Patrick really surprises, so unless they get extremely fortunate the Flyers will keep on being the bridesmaid just like they have been for the past 40 years.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
There aren't any potential elite forwards in the Flyers system unless Patrick really surprises, so unless they get extremely fortunate the Flyers will keep on being the bridesmaid just like they have been for the past 40 years.

Leafs never even got a chance to even be bridemaids for longer...don't see that changing anytime soon either.

Matthews is the next Sundin, cupless wonder....sorry let me clarify, not even a single finals series, did they even get in the semis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad