Looking Back at the Leafs two years ago and what it means for rebuilding teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
So, the Leafs are 6th in the league in terms of points. Definitely a good or even a contender team.

But looking back just two years ago, the Leafs were a dumpster fire and the worst team in hockey. What can the current rebuilding teams (Oilers, Arizona, Detroit etc...) learn from the Toronto experience?

Reactions: naruto

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
giphy.gif

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So, the Leafs are 6th in the league in terms of points. Definitely a good or even a contender team.

But looking back just two years ago, the Leafs were a dumpster fire and the worst team in hockey. What can the current rebuilding teams (Oilers, Arizona, Detroit etc...) learn from the Toronto experience?
That none of it was rocket science and tanking has been done all the way back to the Mario draft

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod

Step 1: tank for years
Step 2: luck into elite talent (Matthews)
Step 3: repeat steps 1+2 until decent roster/prospect pool is achieved
Step 4: pay $$$ for good coach
Step 5: boast endlessly on HFBoards.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Finish last. Win the draft lottery. Get high picks in other years and do a decent job of drafting. Hire a good but not great coach. Spend lots of money and guys who know what they're doing in the front office. Lower everyone's expectations.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: 3rdLiner

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Definitely took some luck, without Matthews we'd still be lost.

There wasn't a single player in that 2016 draft that could have meant what Matthews did to the organization. Any other player from that draft and they'd still be in that spot with no franchise center.

Mix that in with solid moves like acquiring Andersen and it goes a long way.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
nice analysis

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So the Benning approach would be considered in the same convo then???

We made solid moves to:

-Eriksson 6 years $6mil/per
-Traded youth and top picks for a dud injured dman from Florida
-Drafted two top 6 picks poorly (JV OJ)
-Gave away picks in most trades instead of receiving them
-Finding a 5th rd gem and trading him for a bleh Clendening

Looking at that not really sure why were in 28th place every year...

:cry:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
How come the Oilers and Sabres are a crap show then?

Edmonton's had terrible asset management but I still expect them to get it together next season.

Buffalo went completely scorched earth and got rid of f***ing everyone for picks. A shit ton of those picks have yet to work out and Buffalo is likely one of the least popular UFA destinations in the entire league.

Toronto kept enough veterans, sold off what they needed to, tanked at the right time and got lucky as f*** in the draft lottery. It was the perfect mix.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Sooo you need to luck out with a 1st overall in a good draft, and get multiple top 10 picks (Marner, Rielly, Nylander, Kadri, etc.).
I don't think teams should try to emulate Toronto. No one wants to see their team suck for a decade and give up players like Seguin and Hamilton.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Step 1: Commit to rebuild and deal aging players and contracts even if they return middle round picks
Step 2: Draft high talent players, BPA always
Step 3: When you get a high pick, make sure it counts. Rielly, Matthews, Marner and Nylander...you could argue they aren't the best in their classes, but all turned into core players.
Step 4: Find a stud young goaltender who is ready to be a 1A.
Step 5: Grow thick skin because the haters will be extra salty (see quoted post) when you start having success.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Step 1: Commit to rebuild and deal aging players and contracts even if they return middle round picks
Step 2: Draft high talent players, BPA always
Step 3: When you get a high pick, make sure it counts. Rielly, Matthews, Marner and Nylander...you could argue they aren't the best in their classes, but all turned into core players.
Step 4: Find a stud young goaltender who is ready to be a 1A.
Step 5: Grow thick skin because the haters will be extra salty (see quoted post) when you start having success.

See step 5 of my post lol.

Ease up, they tanked got the talent, paid front office/coaching staff and got good.

Nothing I wrote wasn't true.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
See step 5 of my post lol.

Ease up, they tanked got the talent, paid front office/coaching staff and got good.

Nothing I wrote wasn't true.
Is that what you call "boasting endlessly"? Your poor soul, what has Cape Cod done to your brain. :P

Also, "Luck into elite talent?". Which team are you a fan of? Let me guess, when your boys make a nice pick, it's pure talent, but when the Leafs do it, it's pure luck?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Is that what you call "boasting endlessly"? Your poor soul, what has Cape Cod done to your brain. :P

Honestly, nothing good. But you know it's not just this thread flip around the main boards for a bit.

I'm going back to my lobster roll and chowdah now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

1.Don't blame good players on bad teams for not being great players and trade them for nothing. Just go out and get great players for them to complement and support.
2.Win the draft lottery in a year with a franchise player going #1.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The #1 thing is drafting well. Then developing well.

Combine those 2 things with adding a ton of picks on top of your own and a little luck you get the Leafs.

The Leafs made smart trades too. Getting Andersen is a giant factor in their success. Moving out money in Phil and Dion was huge too. Getting Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly signed at really good numbers was big. There are lots of little things that separate a successful rebuild and a failed one.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Not much to learn tbh.

Any team that lands Dahlin will likely see a big turnaround. I'd say especially Detroit who has a solid group of forwards, goaltending and defensive depth but a major, major hole in terms of no top pairing D. Dahlin is exactly what they need. Arizona and Edmonton are dysfunctional enough where Dahlin might not be enough for them. Everyone else probably would see a big jump in performance if they get him.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

If using the Toronto model: tank, tank, tank. Get a good number of high picks, better if at least one first overall. Get some good management, let them work their plan, sit back and relax.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Winning the lotto for Matthews' is why the Leafs' rebuild can't really be used as a template as players like him aren't available year after year at #1.

The rest isn't that difficult to see though - acquire as many picks/prospects as you can, draft/develop well. Also though establish the right culture off the ice from the front office to the dressing room by hiring the right people. And ensure you have the right leaders in the dressing room that can ease the pressure off the younger players until they're ready.

Lastly, acquiring a legit #1 goalie is probably another thing to be taken from the Leafs. As a young team, Andersen has been the stable rock they've hoped he would be when they traded for him. That was paramount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->