Looking Back at the Leafs two years ago and what it means for rebuilding teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah but I provided fact along with the opinion that GP isn't the be all and end all. If someone plays less ice-time that can make up for 2-4 less games easily.
Bring data that proves that. I say that for 10 players vs 10 players TOI is bound to be very similar. Get some data that disproves that in regards to the Leafs top 10 points producers vs those of those other teams.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
If they are in another league from the Leafs like you seem to believe, shouldn't the statistics show this?
Again, tell us what the Leafs need?

If you do not know, I suggest watching some hockey outside "Leafs TV" and listening to the homers in on Ontario sports shows.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like all the attention the Leafs get here. It will be awesome when they eventually do go deep into the playoffs. That will drive the Leaf-haters absolutely nuts. Even just talking about the Leafs getting better makes them crazy.

Reactions: bionic and naruto

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I like all the attention the Leafs get here. It will be awesome when they eventually do go deep into the playoffs. That will drive the Leaf-haters absolutely nuts. Even just talking about the Leafs getting better makes them crazy.
64e23c004ac91637f7a256aba3a63b71--canadian-humour-toronto-maple-leafs.jpg

Reactions: 3rdLiner

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Or better yet Leafs fan waiting for the 2nd round. ;)
. . . or even better yet, an Oilers' fan watching a Leafs' fan [doing anything -- waiting for a Cup; waiting for the second round; watching Matthews; having a sandwich -- it doesn't matter].

Try to find someone in the GTA who gives a shit if and when the Oilers win another Cup, make the playoffs or what-have-you.

With all the attention showered on the Leafs, it's like your own team doesn't matter.

Leafs' Nation should be flattered by all this attention.

This is the thread that won't die.

Reactions: King Clancy

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Id say more a top 2D but other than that I agree.

Not popular among Leaf fans, but trading Nylander/Marner for McDonough (with extension) and resigning JVR would put them in cup contention for a while. VERY rarely do top pairing D become available, especially ones who are relatively young.

Non leaf fans seem really hell bent on breaking the big 3 up. Hmmm......

Smh.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
. . . or even better yet, an Oilers' fan watching a Leafs' fan [doing anything -- waiting for a Cup; waiting for the second round; watching Matthews; having a sandwich -- it doesn't matter].

Try to find someone in the GTA who gives a **** if and when the Oilers win another Cup, make the playoffs or what-have-you.

With all the attention showered on the Leafs, it's like your own team doesn't matter.

Poor guy. Upset at all the attention his team gets on daily Main board "look at me" threads.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
A better way to build is this.

Step 1: Don’t tank, your chances at the first pick aren’t that great anyways so why risk reputation.

Step 2: Don’t make trades for the fun of it they’ll only hurt your long term chemistry and might hurt your draft pick position.

Step 3: Draft BPA

Step 4: Put all that skill together and develop chemistry

Step 5: Win

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So, the Leafs are 6th in the league in terms of points. Definitely a good or even a contender team.

But looking back just two years ago, the Leafs were a dumpster fire and the worst team in hockey. What can the current rebuilding teams (Oilers, Arizona, Detroit etc...) learn from the Toronto experience?

What we can all learn is that tanking the right years work, but players who get hurt regularly at a young age tend to be a depreciating asset over time. Matthews will get better and stronger, great young player he is.

Here is a realistic timeline for his recovery.

Feb 22, 2018
Universe collectively gasps as Matthews leaves the ice and into the dressing room... but *** has other plans for us. Met with this random person and decided to talk over lunch about plans to resurrect thy nostrilius one.

IMG_0088.JPG

Feb 23, 2018
@ 12:08pm/mt they feast.

IMG_0090.JPG

Feb 23, 2018
@1:30 pm/mt after a few wines realized the shoulder needed to heal up naturally or through a surgical procedure... Meatballs couldn't help. Listed as day to day but let's hope he is back next game, crazy good.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Stop trying to stir up something that isn't an issue, the Leafs will get Marner/Nylander at 5-6 million and Matthews at 8-10 million, all three will be locked up at a combined 20-22 million which is entirely sustainable. Kapanen will get the 2 million-ish that Brown and Hyman are on and we already have Kadri and Rielly locked up until 2023 on relatively modest deals. Leafs can always also dump Bozak and his 4.2 million or JVR and his 4.25 million..Leafs already have cheap internal replacements for these guys. Andreas Johnsson on the Marlies is lighting it up and is already considered JVR's future replacement.

Are you serious? They will lose one of them due to $$$ but will gain some valuable assets coming back with a trade. Now should any of them be unhappy residing / playing for existing coach etc...they will most certainly drive up price to get out. This is a reality.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Are you serious? They will lose one of them due to $$$ but will gain some valuable assets coming back with a trade. Now should any of them be unhappy residing / playing for existing coach etc...they will most certainly drive up price to get out. This is a reality.

LOL no. There's zero reason to think they can't keep all 3. The estimate of 20-22 million is low IMO, I think 22 is the absolute minimum they will cost but it's quite possible they can get it done for 23 which is more than doable. There'a also no reason to think any of them are unhappy, where does that come from?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
LOL no. There's zero reason to think they can't keep all 3. The estimate of 20-22 million is low IMO, I think 22 is the absolute minimum they will cost but it's quite possible they can get it done for 23 which is more than doable. There'a also no reason to think any of them are unhappy, where does that come from?

Speculation from me - based on years and years of historical leaf data / trends. And the leafs would be smart to trade one of them plus plus for upgrade on D. I believe this to be the course new leaf management will take.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Speculation from me - based on years and years of historical leaf data / trends. And the leafs would be smart to trade one of them plus plus for upgrade on D. I believe this to be the course new leaf management will take.

The Leafs are a whole new deal under Shanahan and people expecting historical trends to continue will be disappointed.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Looking forward to seeing if this leaf team can finally do some damage in the playoffs eventually.

Il be happy for them if they do well since its been like 50 years they haven't won zilch.

Then again If this core of leaf players never win anything in the next 10 years the fan base will never hear the end of it with the way they've been pumping their tires here

Btw oilers fans and leafs fans bashing eachother is cute, I think all Canadian teams fans should stay quiet because we haven't won jack **** in ages . That includes my team

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Try to find someone in the GTA who gives a **** if and when the Oilers win another Cup, make the playoffs or what-have-you.

This is why people think the Leafs fan base is one of the most arrogant in pro sports.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
What in the hell does "historical data" tell you about anything? Is what the habs did in 1939 relevant? What about the Islanders in 94? Or maybe the rangers in 56? "Historical data" means shit. Teams get new front offices and management and they're completely independent of whatever historical data you want to dig up from 20+ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille