Looking Back at the Leafs two years ago and what it means for rebuilding teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Leafs are totally relevant.
Can't believe all they have won in the past two years.
Total turnaround and the league is terrified.
Not sure which was most beneficial, the front office or the hockey media.
Could someone from the Toronto metro area post up the parade route? I want to book a hotel as close to it as possible. Thanks!

Leafs parade prolly be across canada coast to coast as leaf nation is everywhere.

People will give them credit eventually when they succeed.

Tbh ppl will probably never give the leafs credit.

Remember when the leafs only made the 2013 playoffs bc it was a shortened season? When in 2013 it was leafs bruins, ppl said it was only bc boston took the leafs lightly. Last year, the leafs only made the playoffs bc they were healthy or nyi/tampa had down years or bc of loser pts (there were so many excuses). In 2017, #capsin3, leafs only made it a series bc the caps are chokers. Austin only won the Calder bc of Toronto media. Even now, the leafs are only good bc they won a lottery (how bout edm and mcdavid?? Where they at?) Leafs are only going to make the playoffs bc the atlantic sucks.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jasonleaffan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think you might be overstating your opinion a bit when you state the 5th & 6th placed teams in the entire nhl have a low & 0 probability of winning the cup this year.

I’m the first one to say my team the Jets are not top contenders this year.....I would say the same thing for the Leafs. But it’s too much to say we have low & 0 chance of winning.

Really? because I look at both teams as legitimate contenders, I don't think you can be pushing top 5 in the NHL and not be a contender.

One team has Matthews

One Has Laine

One team has Nylander

One Has Ehelers

One team has Marner

one has Wheeler

one has Kadri

one has Schiefelle

Don't really know who to compare JVR too so that is where I will stop, but the point is both are loaded for bear and both are VERY VERY close in term of talent and depth.

I don't think it would be a total shock if both teams met in the cup final, it may be favoured but I can see a situation where it happens and I think it would be a ell of a series.

To be honest as a Winnipeg boy who was born there and went to the "save the Jets." rallies when the original Jets left and almost certainly would have grown up a Jets fan had I been given the chance, while I would not want it to come at the expense of Toronto, seeing the Jets win VS anyone else would make me happy.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Trevor Linden and Brendan Shannahan were hired at the exact same time by the Canucks and Leafs.

Look at what Shannahan has done vs what Linden has done.

The Leafs are the picture perfect embodiment of a modern rebuild done right.

The Canucks... there isn't even a word to describe what they did. Attempt to re-tool, refuse to rebuild, try to rebuild, do it badly, end up with high picks but botch them.

Reactions: ThewThew and naruto

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
loaded for bear and both are VERY VERY close in term of talent and depth.

I don't think it would be a total shock if both teams met in the cup final, it may be favoured but I can see a situation where it happens and I think it would be a ell of a series..

Weird, I don't see those names too close, comparing Kadri to Scheifele is criminal.
Don't the Leafs have to get through the Bruins on their way to the parade? Good luck with that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Weird, I don't see those names too close, comparing Kadri to Scheifele is criminal.
Don't the Leafs have to get through the Bruins on their way to the parade? Good luck with that.

That one is a stretch but I had to compare Matthews and Laine because those are the center pieces to each team, they have to be compared to each other because the teams are built around them.

As for Boston they are 6-1 in the last against them so I am confident they can win that series if it happens.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
People shouldn't fault the Leafs then, they have excellent management for the first time since Quinn/Dryden. One could argue their group of Shanahan/Lams/Hunter/Dubas/Pridham etc is the best in the league or close to it.

YES!!! Absolutely!!! For 20 years or so, (since the 90's and the sale to the teacher's pension) the board of directors were the ones driving the ship, f***ing things up and meddle into how the team should be ran.) This crap was never talked about on the boards as people instead just got caught up on whomever was the coach/gm at the time.

But to a long time fan, having survived the f***ing Harold Ballard era only to get thrown into the teacher's pension/board of director's era which was just about making money...the fact that Shanahan sold them on his vision and the ability to get FULL CONTROL and essentially can tell the BOD to f-off...that alone was HUGE. I mean even if he was an IDIOT, at least things were being ran by ONE MAN'S VISION. I can at least get behind that. But to mine, and everyone else surprise...Shanahan actually knows what he's doing.

Everything starts with him, and his ability to take control from the board of directors. Without him we are still a rudderless ship aimlessly sailing the atlantic....

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Really? because I look at both teams as legitimate contenders, I don't think you can be pushing top 5 in the NHL and not be a contender.

One team has Matthews

One Has Laine

One team has Nylander

One Has Ehelers

One team has Marner

one has Wheeler

one has Kadri

one has Schiefelle

Don't really know who to compare JVR too so that is where I will stop, but the point is both are loaded for bear and both are VERY VERY close in term of talent and depth.

I don't think it would be a total shock if both teams met in the cup final, it may be favoured but I can see a situation where it happens and I think it would be a ell of a series.

To be honest as a Winnipeg boy who was born there and went to the "save the Jets." rallies when the original Jets left and almost certainly would have grown up a Jets fan had I been given the chance, while I would not want it to come at the expense of Toronto, seeing the Jets win VS anyone else would make me happy.

I’ll only comment on the Jets, but it wouldn’t “shock me” to see a Jets/Leafs final.....but my comment was I don’t see us as favourites to be cup finalists is my only point.

IMO the Jets need to continue to develop so many of our young roster players....which we did take a huge step forward this year learning what it takes to be a top team over a entire season. I’m also not convinced that our roster doesn’t need to be slightly tweaked to give us a better chance of success vs Wild/Preds/LV/Blues.

Just my opinion, not all Jets fans will agree with me.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes it is. Most teams dont start a rebuild after 10 years of top 10 picks

Moving past where they were drafted, the Leafs top 10 picks that were already in their system pre 2014 was a 2nd line centre, a scoring winger who plays on the their third line and top pairing D man.

Some nice pieces, but again, hardly a huge leg up on other rebuilding teams. Especially compared to say the Oilers who had multiple #1 drafted guys in the system

Last edited:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
You can't just draw a line and say the rebuild started with the Shanahan regime. The turn around started with Shanny, but the players and assets Shanny used were earned over an 8 year stretch, not 2 years.

Quoting myself from another Leafs thread where people ignored everything pre-Shanahan

Leaf fans saying the rebuild started in 2015? What about 2008-2015? The leafs earned the right to pick top 5, 5 times in 8 years and top 10, 7 out of 8 years. Granted you traded away 2 of those picks, #2 and #9 for Kessel. Sabres didn't start picking top 10 until 2013, and only 2 top 5 picks, rather than 4 that the leafs ended up using. I'd say the Sabres are 3 years behind the Leafs, in terms of an 8 year rebuild.

2008 Luke Schenn #5 (from NYI, Toronto had the #7 pick) Turned into JVR
2009 Nazem Kadri #7
2010 Seguin #2 traded to Boston
2011 Dougie #9 also traded to Boston
2012 Morgan Rielly #5
2013 Gauthier #21
2014 Willy Nylander #8
2015 Marner #4
2016 Matthews #1

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Like the Oilers were supposed to be this year?

Would be funny if the same sort of thing happened.
Won't happen though because we have smart people running the Leafs. They won't trade a first line star winger for a slow defensive Dman or sign a guy like Lucic.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Give my head a shake? - Bolland and Clarkson just never worked out. Every single rebuilding team signs a couple of veterans to take pressure off the kids.

Florida did by signing Luongo, Jagr and Brian Campbell.
Colorado did by signing Iginla.
Edmonton did by signing Lucic.
You guys just did by signing Marleau.
etc, etc, etc.
And the dozens of veteran third and fourth liners.

Do rebuilding teams trade two straight first rounders and a second?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It was definitely one of the more polarizing trades among the Leaf fans cause we gave up a 1st round pick while still very early in the rebuild. Some thought we could have just kept Reimer and saved the pick but I think identifying Andersen and taking that chance has been super important.

Keeping an injury riddled starter who was UFA and seeking a big contract would have been a very dumb move. I liked Reimer-But he was clearly more of a One A or B goalie. And the pick was 30th. It wasn't that high.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
2012 LA Kings won last game of the regular season to clinch 8th seed and went on to win the cup. What are you *****ing about? Once the playoffs start, it’s anyone’s game.

The 2012 Kings had Drew Doughty, Jonathon Quick, Anze Kopitar and Jeff Carter as elite talents with great depth supporting them. That is a great team. They were also far from a normal 8th seed as they had a horrible start and changed to a great coach. The team also went on to win the Cup in two seasons later so not just a win and pray team at all.

Also just judging teams on their seed is a horrible way to look at things. Look at the rosters of team that have won the Cup they are full of elite level talent. There isn't a team out there that was a mediocre roster and just managed to get on a run to win.

It is certainly not anyone's game at all that is just BS fed to fans from the media, league and other desperate fans trying to make it like their mediocre team has a chance.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They had zero percent? In game 7 of the SCF did they have a zero percent chance?

LA was the 8th seed in 2011 IIRC and they won the cup.

Get off it.

Yes they had zero chance in the play-offs and game 7.

The fact is they didn't win. Saying a team almost won doesn't change it because we aren't talking about almost winning. Many more teams have a chance to almost win.

And I already addressed the Kings the 8th seed means jack squat take a look at the actual roster that was a great team and great roster.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You can't just draw a line and say the rebuild started with the Shanahan regime. The turn around started with Shanny, but the players and assets Shanny used were earned over an 8 year stretch, not 2 years.

Quoting myself from another Leafs thread where people ignored everything pre-Shanahan

Leaf fans saying the rebuild started in 2015? What about 2008-2015? The leafs earned the right to pick top 5, 5 times in 8 years and top 10, 7 out of 8 years. Granted you traded away 2 of those picks, #2 and #9 for Kessel. Sabres didn't start picking top 10 until 2013, and only 2 top 5 picks, rather than 4 that the leafs ended up using. I'd say the Sabres are 3 years behind the Leafs, in terms of an 8 year rebuild.

2008 Luke Schenn #5 (from NYI, Toronto had the #7 pick) Turned into JVR
2009 Nazem Kadri #7
2010 Seguin #2 traded to Boston
2011 Dougie #9 also traded to Boston
2012 Morgan Rielly #5
2013 Gauthier #21
2014 Willy Nylander #8
2015 Marner #4
2016 Matthews #1
LOL @ including the traded picks. That proves the point they were not rebuilding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad