London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights off to the Soo.
Tough task but they believe in themselves.
Alex Formenton:
The most complete 2 way forward in the OHL.

Reactions: Fastpace and LDN

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Anyone else growing far too tired of watching the puck hit the back of our net because of a blown coverage and then looking at the D pairing only to see #42?

Just me? Carry on.
Not just you...he was largely responsible for Sarnia's opening goal last night--unable to clear the zone; coughs up the puck.
"Golden" boy almost cost us the game tonight in this 'spirited' affair--pun intended. With approx. 3:05 left in the 3rd period, the puck is shot into the London zone, Golden is first to the puck. All he has to do is pass the puck behind the net to his defence partner. Instead, he pins the puck along the boards and is tied up by the Saginaw forechecker. The puck stays in the zone, gets turned over, and is in the back of the net. Absolutely clueless.
Fortunately, Bouchard comes to the rescue and scores the OT winner.
Bouchard is one point behind Corriveau (87 points) for the most points by a London d-man. He'll get his chance to tie and break the record up in the Soo tomorrow. Since it's a meaningful game for London, I'm assuming that we won't be sitting anyone.
Speaking of the Soo, will they follow 'tradition' and sit some of their top players or ice a full squad? Thank goodness I don't suffer from aibohphobia and can ask 'radar'. What's the verdict radar?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
4-3 win in overtime, big game and big win. Another 40 shots + game, I think they missed a few on the shot count.

And yes the five players on the ice blew their coverage big time around the net on those two late goals. Probably started to think about the Soo game too soon. I will reserve any comments about the refs work, I can not connect two nice words together for the likes of me.

The Knights are in control of their own destiny as this Saginaw game is behind them now, they can start thinking about tomorrow’s game.

Reactions: LDN and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
If he only had more finish. Formenton should have 40 goals minimum right now. He's a man among boys in every other facet of his game

agreed........'man amongst boys.'
He creates havoc every time he's on the ice.
Very hard worker and we'll continue to improve his finish.
The fact that he has 3-5 great chances every game is always impressive.
He had a hat trick last weekend and is a top 5 every game he plays for the Knights.
He'll be ready to fly tomorrow afternoon and I'm predicting he'll be the #1 Star of the gm..

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
agreed........'man amongst boys.'
He creates havoc every time he's on the ice.
Very hard worker and we'll continue to improve his finish.
The fact that he has 3-5 great chances every game is always impressive.
He had a hat trick last weekend and is a top 5 every game he plays for the Knights.
He'll be ready to fly tomorrow afternoon and I'm predicting he'll be the #1 Star of the gm..

There is a big possibilty Ottawa will select inside the first 5 picks, if it's a forward the chances are that player may stick and they may also have to have another long look at Logan Brown as well. Formenton could be good enough to make the Senators and caught up in numbers game and sent back to junior. I am also thinking along those same lines as all of you, he has a spot for the taking on the Senators and it's all up to him to insure of sending a signal to the brass they have a hard choice to make in regards to his of work ethic and skills. IMHO

Reactions: zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
My prediction for today's game :

If there ever was a time and a game for a London Knights goalie to steal a game, this is the game, this is the day and this is the time to do it. The Knights has to jump on the action very "Fast and Furious" and hope their goalie has a strong head to stand on... I don't care what will be the score or how they get there. I predict a win by London.

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
My prediction for today's game :

If there ever was a time and a game for a London Knights goale to steal a game, this is the game, this is the day and this is the time to do it. The Knights has to jump on the action very "Fast and Furious" and hope their goale has a strong head to stand on... I don't care what the score will be or how they get there. I predict a win by London.
I don't think the odds are good, mon ami. The Knights are playing 3 games in 2 1/2 days, and they are up against the top team in the country. It appears that Johnson will get the start [that helps], but some Soo fans are saying that the team will likely go with a full squad. Hope there's oxygen on the bench for Bouchard!

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace
There is a big possibilty Ottawa will select inside the first 5 picks, if it's a forward the chances are that player may stick and they may also have to have another long look at Logan Brown as well. Formenton could be good enough to make the Senators and caught up in numbers game and sent back to junior. I am also thinking along those same lines as all of you, he has a spot for the taking on the Senators and it's all up to him to insure of sending a signal to the brass they have a hard choice to make in regards to his of work ethic and skills. IMHO
If anyone bumps Formenton out of Ottawa's roster next season it won't be Logan Brown...it'll be this guy

Drake Batherson

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg
Geoffrey Brandow‏ @GeoffreyBrandow 9h9 hours ago

Geoffrey Brandow Retweeted Geoffrey Brandow

#OHL LDN/SAG: @GoLondonKnights
Evan Bouchard also scores 4th overtime game winner, tied for League lead with Jason Robertson (KGN). League's most game winning goals by a rearguard since Danny Syvret had 9 in 2004-2005; most overtime goals by a blueliner in last 20 years.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg

#OHL LDN/SAG: Time now for the weekly @GoLondonKnights Evan Bouchard update:
2 points in this match - a goal and assist, needs 2 more to double last year's output of 44.
Most points by any OHL defenceman since Anthony DeAngelo in 2014-15 (89).
26th multipoint game this year.

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I don't think the odds are good, mon ami. The Knights are playing 3 games in 2 1/2 days, and they are up against the top team in the country. It appears that Johnson will get the start [that helps], but some Soo fans are saying that the team will likely go with a full squad. Hope there's oxygen on the bench for Bouchard!

Great, a ful Soo team squad would be even be better for the Knights' moral preparation, and for Monsieur Nelli27, to keep everyone on their toes and in the game. Yes the odds are against but a possibilty how ever small do exist. With a one minded team and a wall behind even when tired it still can be done.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg

Geoffrey Brandow Retweeted Geoffrey Brandow

#OHL LDN/SAG: @GoLondonKnights
Evan Bouchard also scores 4th overtime game winner, tied for League lead with Jason Robertson (KGN). League's most game winning goals by a rearguard since Danny Syvret had 9 in 2004-2005; most overtime goals by a blueliner in last 20 years.
Here's another stat that I looked up the other day. I always go back to the 2004-05 team, I can't help it!
London had 59 wins in '04-'05, and only 4 came in OT = 55 wins in regulation!
Soo '17-'18: 9 wins in OT...
Just sayin'...

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Bouchard has added Sandpaper to his impressive O skills.[/QUOTE]

Agree Shane on the 'unspoken player.' ;)
Jacob Golden is a good player but not consistent with his game at key times.
imho:
He has the 'skill set' to be a good player but maybe should reverse his thinking
on what that means.
Victor Mete is the template of what fits for his size and speed.
If that be true, then Jacob would need to start to intensify his focus on defence.
Yes, Mete is a dynamic force on Offence but it's his D coverage that frustrates the
biggest and fastest opponents he matches up with in the corners and in front of the net. Rather than using 'bull' Mete is a surgeon with stripping the puck and moving it quickly to his
team-mate on the tape.
Take care of your own end first and the points will rack up naturally.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
What should be most concerning for the Knights and all us fans is the state of Popov. That kid came right out of his cocoon the last three weeks, would be a great loss to the team if he has a serious injury.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
What should be most concerning for the Knights and all us fans is the state of Popov. That kid came right out of his cocoon the last three weeks, would be a great loss to the team if he has a serious injury.

True Fastpace.
Not sure of the Protocol for Concussions:
A 'suspected concussion' is to rest in a quiet room.
Popov skated to the Knight's bench on his own strength.
I'm guessing he'll be in today's line-up against the Soo Greyhounds.
Popov is a very determined young man and will let Dale and Staff he's 'ready to go!'

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Bouchard has added Sandpaper to his impressive O skills.

Agree Shane on the 'unspoken player.' ;)
Jacob Golden is a good player but not consistent with his game at key times.
imho:
He has the 'skill set' to be a good player but maybe should reverse his thinking
on what that means.
Victor Mete is the template of what fits for his size and speed.
If that may be true, then Jacob would need to start to intensify his focus on defence.
Yes, Mete is a dynamic force on Offence but it's his D coverage that frustrates the
biggest and fastest opponents he matches up with in the corners and in front of the net. Rather than using 'bull' Mete is a surgeon with stripping the puck and moving it quickly to his
team-mate on the tape.
Take care of your own end first and the points will rack up naturally.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s kind of unfair to compare any players to Mete. Mete was an unique and would be quasily impossible to copy by anyone. The player in question, I reserve myself the pointing of a player when there are a full cast playing along side of him. Each players develop there own personalities and skills sometime others do better. We can scream and call out a players all we want and he won’t hear us but a pierced stare by his own peers, coaches and fans will sometime do wonders to a players.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
True Fastpace.
Not sure of the Protocol for Concussions:
A 'suspected concussion' is to rest in a quiet room.
Popov skated to the Knight's bench on his own strength.
I'm guessing he'll be in today's line-up against the Soo Greyhounds.
Popov is a very determined young man and will let Dale and Staff he's 'ready to go!'
Your last line is why the league has concussion protocol.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Do you think Ottawa has asked Formenton to be more "aggressive"? Seems to be focused on a different style game right now and I'm not sure it suits him.

I think Formenton is picking up confidence since the Ottawa training camp and WJC championships. He now finds himself on a different role on the team with all kinds of ice time, it is bringing out the best of him right now.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Do you think Ottawa has asked Formenton to be more "aggressive"? Seems to be focused on a different style game right now and I'm not sure it suits him.

I'm sure Ottawa is in close contact with Alex Formenton.
He's played a 'gritty game' with the London Knights from the beginning.
He covers a lot of ice in a short space of time and 'gives notice' to his opponents.
imho:
Formenton is the most dominant 2 way player in the OHL not just because of his
'world class speed' but also with his amazing endurance to skate at high speeds throughout
a whole game.
He creates 'chaos' for the opposition because he breaks up plays and gets in their face
on a regular basis whether Even Strength, PK or PP.
My Opinion:
Ask any team that plays against the Knights who they fear the most and 9 times out of 10
it would be Alex Formenton!

With one game remaining it is now known that London will have either the 14th or 15th overall pick..and also the 21st and 23rd overall picks. That's 3 picks in the top 23 OHL eligible players that will be picked by London in arguably the deepest draft in the past decade.

Like Kenny Rogers said..."you gotta know when to hold 'em..and know when to fold 'em"

also tie in the fact Quinton Byfield likely won't report if taken by Sudbury or Flint..and we have the picks to put a package together to land him quite easily

Playoff Sidenote: 4th is not as important as people think. Our Knights were 18-16 at home this season. Hardly an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad