Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don’t think players become less good at hockey by playing hockey.

How do you explain then just about every AHL rookie we have called up over the past 10 years that was playing well in the AHL and starting to produce and then MB calls them up, they play 5 mins on the 4th line then end up benched, in the press box for a couple days then back to the AHL where all the sudden now they can't produce anymore.

Confidence is a major part of hockey, if you mess with 18, 19, 20 year olds confidence it can backfire on you badly.

The only way for him to make the necessary adjustments is to experience the NHL speed and pace. He won’t become better defensively by defending against plugs.

The AHL is not a developmental league, it’s a transitional league.

I never understood how anyone could think the AHL isn't a development league as it's 100% it's job. There's a reason why 31 of 32 AHL teams are owned by NHL teams and it's not for the money.

But I've never even heard of a transitional league so you got me there.

Last stat I saw said over 80% of the ENTIRE NHL played in the AHL at one point, so the thought that a 20 year old blueliner can't learn playing against plugs when in fact he's facing tons of future NHLers so again that makes no sense at all.

You can get better by coaching and working on your issues while not having 20K crazy fans yelling and screaming. Mailloux's issues could just be that's not very bright so perhaps that can't be fixed.

I’m not a fan of players in the farm supposedly made of glass and the best way to weed them out is baptism by fire.

This new narrative habs need to pamper their players and shield them from fans, their peers, opponents, media is such a borefest and falsehood. Montreal market won’t change, hockey won’t change. Anyone who thinks they are worth millions chasing around rubber for us should put up or gtfo.

I think some posters here get their panties tied up in a knot way more than the players do, and have an obvious bias against everything montreal manifested by insulting posturing.

There's a reason why the Habs can't attract big name UFA's.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
How do you explain then just about every AHL rookie we have called up over the past 10 years that was playing well in the AHL and starting to produce and then MB calls them up, they play 5 mins on the 4th line then end up benched, in the press box for a couple days then back to the AHL where all the sudden now they can't produce anymore.

Confidence is a major part of hockey, if you mess with 18, 19, 20 year olds confidence it can backfire on you badly.

I never understood how anyone could think the AHL isn't a development league as it's 100% it's job. There's a reason why 31 of 32 AHL teams are owned by NHL teams and it's not for the money.

But I've never even heard of a transitional league so you got me there.

Last stat I saw said over 80% of the ENTIRE NHL played in the AHL at one point, so the thought that a 20 year old blueliner can't learn playing against plugs when in fact he's facing tons of future NHLers so again that makes no sense at all.

You can get better by coaching and working on your issues while not having 20K crazy fans yelling and screaming. Mailloux's issues could just be that's not very bright so perhaps that can't be fixed.

There's a reason why the Habs can't attract big name UFA's.
This white knighting won’t help and is cringe. Getting a sniff at the nhl on the leagues’ worst team that has about every roster spot up for grabs is as open a table as can exist. If that ruins his confidence he won’t make it, period. If he sucks and better understands the delta left because of it that is perfect.

Also every team in mtl pre-rebuild were all grind-first, ride the goalie, play-killing shit show trying to inch into the playoffs. This is literally about playing hockey with the least pressure to win I’ve ever seen or heard of and still some peeps are freaking out. How will you all survive your precious draftees struggling to make the team once they start winning again? Because I hope as a fan some day it’ll be a meritocracy again and not default roster spots handed out on a theoretical timeline.

Reactions: Samhockey3

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This white knighting won’t help and is cringe. Getting a sniff at the nhl on the leagues’ worst team that has about every roster spot up for grabs is as open a table as can exist. If that ruins his confidence he won’t make it, period. If he sucks and better understands the delta left because of it that is perfect.

Also every team in mtl pre-rebuild were all grind-first, ride the goalie, play-killing shit show trying to inch into the playoffs. This is literally about playing hockey with the least pressure to win I’ve ever seen or heard of and still some peeps are freaking out. How will you all survive your precious draftees struggling to make the team once they start winning again? Because I hope as a fan some day it’ll be a meritocracy again and not default roster spots handed out on a theoretical timeline.

It's simple really, you go to the AHL to work on things, you don't call someone up until they show you they have improved enough on their weaknesses. Mailloux makes a number of mistakes in his own end, he's missing a shit ton of key development time, so if he's struggling with something in the AHL, why would anyone think that he won't have the same issues but worse in the NHL where it's clearly much tougher.

To me it has nothing to do with the Habs winning or losing, the Habs have sucked for years but that won't stop fans from turning on prospects just as quickly as they cheer them, this fan base is insane passionate about their team. So if you know your fan base is crazy and will turn on their fans as just look at how they reacted to the Reinbacher pick on draft day. It's about doing what's best for said prospects and put them in the NHL when they are ready. This throw them into the deep end and hope they learn how to swim sounds like something out of the '50's.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
So if you know your fan base is crazy and will turn on their fans as just look at how they reacted to the Reinbacher pick on draft day

I really appreciate most of your post but i think you're mistaken fan base for the usual HF crowds, i know you didn't watch a lot of Habs game but the Bell centre crowd is being very patient with the team the last 3 seasons, not much pressure there, the only thing they ask is work ethics

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really appreciate most of your post but i think you're mistaken fan base for the usual HF crowds, i know you didn't watch a lot of Habs game but the Bell centre crowd is being very patient with the team the last 3 seasons, not much pressure there, the only thing they ask is work ethics

so why was it said after the draft that the Habs were planning on having Reinbacher in North America but after the reaction from the fan base they opted to send him back to the NL

That said you are right as I have a very hard time sitting through more then like 5 mins of a Habs game the past 2-3 years so I am just not paying much attention to what goes on.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
so why was it said after the draft that the Habs were planning on having Reinbacher in North America but after the reaction from the fan base they opted to send him back to the NL

That said you are right as I have a very hard time sitting through more then like 5 mins of a Habs game the past 2-3 years so I am just not paying much attention to what goes on.

That was reactions on social media, Reinbacher was very good during pre-season games and well appreciated by fans in the Bell centre during those games

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
does it really matter if it's social media vs in person then, if it's enough to change your plans for the kid?

You're right, it is clearly bad having reactions like that keyboard warriors is bad in every phase of society

My point was more that there is not much pressure playing for the Habs the last 3 seasons, Bell center crowd being very very nice to the players

Reactions: Walksss

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
It's simple really, you go to the AHL to work on things, you don't call someone up until they show you they have improved enough on their weaknesses. Mailloux makes a number of mistakes in his own end, he's missing a shit ton of key development time, so if he's struggling with something in the AHL, why would anyone think that he won't have the same issues but worse in the NHL where it's clearly much tougher.

To me it has nothing to do with the Habs winning or losing, the Habs have sucked for years but that won't stop fans from turning on prospects just as quickly as they cheer them, this fan base is insane passionate about their team. So if you know your fan base is crazy and will turn on their fans as just look at how they reacted to the Reinbacher pick on draft day. It's about doing what's best for said prospects and put them in the NHL when they are ready. This throw them into the deep end and hope they learn how to swim sounds like something out of the '50's.
Live free, Montreal. Be free.

Crowd has had a few years of total rookie suckage, another reason the timing to fail in a safe environment has never been more actual. There are no stakes at all, you’re being over protective. I doubt anyone at all is expecting prime Chelios.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I know it's just stats watching, but the big kid is now first overall for points in the AHL while he is still 20. Not in the NCAA, in the AHL, a much stronger league. I also know that if Brandt Clarke would not have been called up a while ago, he would still be well ahead, but nonetheless, Mailloux for a D that missed so many playing time in his junior years is really impressive and his +/- are trending in the right direction. I am not asking for a call up. More than that, I would start him in Laval again next season, but this player will be a good one.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I know it's just stats watching, but the big kid is now first overall for points in the AHL while he is still 20. Not in the NCAA, in the AHL, a much stronger league. I also know that if Brandt Clarke would not have been called up a while ago, he would still be well ahead, but nonetheless, Mailloux for a D that missed so many playing time in his junior years is really impressive and his +/- are trending in the right direction. I am not asking for a call up. More than that, I would start him in Laval again next season, but this player will be a good one.

1 year in the AHL is enough for a player his caliber. He needs to start with the big club next year unless he is brutally bad at camp.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1 year in the AHL is enough for a player his caliber. He needs to start with the big club next year unless he is brutally bad at camp.
What about the defensive side? Have you been watching him and know he doesn't have more to learn?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
What about the defensive side? Have you been watching him and know he doesn't have more to learn?
He's been getting better and better. If a guy like Barron started the year with MTL than for sure Mailloux can as well. He's not worst defensively than Barron.
If he makes mistakes so be it. We are rebuilding and that is part of the process. The sooner he adapts to the NHL, the better.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Been hearing a lot of positive things out of Laval about him. Has come along ways in last two years. Going to be big part of Habs future. Paired with Wifi. Guhle paired with Reinbacher that's a good future top 4.

Reactions: waitin425

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Been hearing a lot of positive things out of Laval about him. Has come along ways in last two years. Going to be big part of Habs future. Paired with Wifi. Guhle paired with Reinbacher that's a good future top 4.
No question Mailloux has come a long way in the past two years. But he had a long way to go. Unless they both get quicker, a pairing of Xhekaj and Mailloux will flounder at the NHL level. It will not be pretty.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's been getting better and better. If a guy like Barron started the year with MTL than for sure Mailloux can as well. He's not worst defensively than Barron.
If he makes mistakes so be it. We are rebuilding and that is part of the process. The sooner he adapts to the NHL, the better.
Barron has to pass through waivers next year. So it will be interesting to see what moves Kent "Asset Manager" Hughes makes.

Right now the depth chart heading into next year:

Montreal:
Matheson - Guhle
Struble - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris - Barron

Laval:
Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau - AHL VET #1
AHL VET #2

No question Mailloux has come a long way in the past two years. But he had a long way to go. Unless they both get quicker, a pairing of Xhekaj and Mailloux will flounder at the NHL level. It will not be pretty.
Struble - Mailloux?
or Guhle - Mailloux?

Depending on who Hughes decides to trade, already next year, we could see:
Matheson - Savard/Barron
Guhle - Mailloux
Struble - Xhekaj
Harris/Kovacevic

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He'll be 21 by the time next season starts, with a full year of AHL experience under his belt (including playoffs, hopefully). Starting the season in Montreal will definitely be an option at that point, if he has a strong enough camp.

Reactions: Tyson

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
Isn't Mailloux the top scoring Dmen in the AHL now?
Capture d’écran, le 2024-02-18 à 10.56.22.png

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Give him a look this year. Not permanently. But let him play 3-4 games to see where he is at, and if he can elevate his game against better players and higher pressure. It will give the kid a baseline on what he needs to work on, and where he needs to get to.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Barron has to pass through waivers next year. So it will be interesting to see what moves Kent "Asset Manager" Hughes makes.

Right now the depth chart heading into next year:

Montreal:
Matheson - Guhle
Struble - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris - Barron

Laval:
Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau - AHL VET #1
AHL VET #2

Struble - Mailloux?
or Guhle - Mailloux?

Depending on who Hughes decides to trade, already next year, we could see:
Matheson - Savard/Barron
Guhle - Mailloux
Struble - Xhekaj
Harris/Kovacevic
I think Mallioux has a shot at making the team next year. One good summer of training and he can improve even more!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad