Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It happens once a decade that a defenseman switch to offense for good. Ridiculous proposition .

We play at pretty much every positions in hockey before we hit bantam. People can switch. It wouldn't hurt to try him for a few shifts or maybe a full match. The guy is big boy, he can skate, hit and has great skills. I cannot see why he would not produce as a forward.

Reactions: HabzSauce

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
We play at pretty much every positions in hockey before we hit bantam. People can switch. It wouldn't hurt to try him for a few shifts or maybe a full match. The guy is big boy, he can skate, hit and has great skills. I cannot see why he would not produce as a forward.
Lmao bantam . We are talking about the best league in the world . I’ve played college football, and switching position could work but was low % success

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Lmao bantam . We are talking about the best league in the world . I’ve played college football, and switching position could work but was low % success

Once you play one position, you know how that works. Esp. becoming forward is easier than switching to defenseman. Wendel Clark did it and Carbo would try that from time to time when he was coaching the Habs with Yannick Weber.

It wouldn't hurt to try it one match. And if it doesn't work, no big deal.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Once you play one position, you know how that works. Esp. becoming forward is easier than switching to defenseman. Wendel Clark did it and Carbo would try that from time to time when he was coaching the Habs with Yannick Weber.

It wouldn't hurt to try it one match. And if it doesn't work, no big deal.
Right, but should we do each thing that doesn't hurt for one match even though it is clearly nonsensical and won't bring anything?

I don't think it would hurt to eat more pommelos. Why not try it?

Reactions: nicehiss

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
He deserves a call up with these injuries
I really, really hope they do not call him up. I would normally agree with you, but he missed so much junior development time and is progressing so well in the AHL despite this. I wouldn't want to mess with that. He played 96 OHL games, counting the playoffs. Ninety-six! He needs big minutes in the AHL.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I really, really hope they do not call him up. I would normally agree with you, but he missed so much junior development time and is progressing so well in the AHL despite this. I wouldn't want to mess with that. He played 96 OHL games, counting the playoffs. Ninety-six! He needs big minutes in the AHL.

They might not have a choice.. believe there were some injuries down in the AHL too.

I think they are more likely to call up Norlinder and have him in the press-box while Xhekaj replaces Harris.. but if Guhle is out, they'll have to either call back Barron (likely but he also had a minor injury) or go to Trudeau/Mailloux and Mailloux has earned it over Trudeau.

Reactions: habsfan891

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

No harm in giving him 4-5 games and seeing how he does.

Subban got two games in his first AHL season then went back down and ended up getting called up in the playoffs when Markov got injured.

It would nice for the team and him to get a look at the NHL pace and see what needs to work on for next season, because at the rate he’s playing right now he’s not going back to the AHL.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
They might not have a choice.. believe there were some injuries down in the AHL too.

I think they are more likely to call up Norlinder and have him in the press-box while Xhekaj replaces Harris.. but if Guhle is out, they'll have to either call back Barron (likely but he also had a minor injury) or go to Trudeau/Mailloux and Mailloux has earned it over Trudeau.
No harm in giving him 4-5 games and seeing how he does.

Subban got two games in his first AHL season then went back down and ended up getting called up in the playoffs when Markov got injured.

It would nice for the team and him to get a look at the NHL pace and see what needs to work on for next season, because at the rate he’s playing right now he’s not going back to the AHL.
I just worry he gets overwhelmed and injured. Look at what happened to Slaf last year. He also won't get much ice-time with us. Let him be the man in Laval.

Reactions: cphabs

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I just worry he gets overwhelmed and injured. Look at what happened to Slaf last year. He also won't get much ice-time with us. Let him be the man in Laval.
I don’t think players become less good at hockey by playing hockey. He would not be called up in a context where he has to play over vets for a team in a playoff picture. Just give him ice time, coaching and a list of things to work on from there. Literally nothing to lose neither for him or the team, it’s ideal.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

The only way for him to make the necessary adjustments is to experience the NHL speed and pace. He won’t become better defensively by defending against plugs.

The AHL is not a developmental league, it’s a transitional league.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Part of me wish he's getting called up, on the other hand i'm a little worry MSL messed up with him like he is doing with X, those guy's are gamer they play their best hockey playing with edge if you try to take away the risky side of their game you end up with just ordinary players
Saint-Louis did not destroy Xhekaj confidence. This needs to stop as a narrative.

The guy was a liability at the start of the season and behind the play most of the time. He was looking to hit and getting out of position to do so. He got many deserved penalty that lost us some games.

Now he was stock in a rotation with Harris as our bottom 2 d while they want to let everyone play a little bit. He was not scratch yesterday because of a bad game saturday he was scratched because of rotation.

As for Mailloux, it will be the same for him this year if he gets called up. He'll have to no be in the bottom 2 of our D to not be in the rotation. At some point there should be some competition within our own team.

Reactions: windycity

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't disagree but this is about attrition in that they may not have a choice. Barron and Norlinder both left the last Laval game and didn't return, that leaves Trudeau and no way is he ready, that leaves only Mailloux unless Barron is ok. Norlinder is not an option, he is simply not NHL worthy.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't disagree but this is about attrition in that they may not have a choice. Barron and Norlinder both left the last Laval game and didn't return, that leaves Trudeau and no way is he ready, that leaves only Mailloux unless Barron is ok. Norlinder is not an option, he is simply not NHL worthy.
I agree. I don't think there is any harm in calling Mailloux up for a few games if the team has few, or no, other options. But having watched this kid play closely over the past two or so years, I would suggest that Mailloux is simply not ready to have any impact at the NHL level. I always worry about a young player's confidence. Particularly, this young player, who has played for the past few years under a microscope. That intense scrutiny will not lessen once he plays at the NHL level.

Mailloux will, as he did when he first played in the OHL and AHL, stumble and struggle when he starts playing against elite level players in the NHL. But Mailloux has the tools ( offensive vision, first pass, shot) that I have often commented on. And if he can gain that all elusive, one extra step of explosiveness, Mailloux should be able to evolve into a strong, if not impactful offensive defenceman for the Canadiens. I just hope that the mob doesn't turn on him once they realize that he still needs additional time. But then, you know how patient some of our delightful fans are.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I agree. I don't think there is any harm in calling Mailloux up for a few games if the team has few, or no, other options. But having watched this kid play closely over the past two or so years, I would suggest that Mailloux is simply not ready to have any impact at the NHL level. I always worry about a young player's confidence. Particularly, this young player, who has played for the past few years under a microscope. That intense scrutiny will not lessen once he plays at the NHL level.

Mailloux will, as he did when he first played in the OHL and AHL, stumble and struggle when he starts playing against elite level players in the NHL. But Mailloux has the tools ( offensive vision, first pass, shot) that I have often commented on. And if he can gain that all elusive, one extra step of explosiveness, Mailloux should be able to evolve into a strong, if not impactful offensive defenceman for the Canadiens. I just hope that the mob doesn't turn on him once they realize that he still needs additional time. But then, you know how patient some of our delightful fans are.
I’m not a fan of players in the farm supposedly made of glass and the best way to weed them out is baptism by fire.

This new narrative habs need to pamper their players and shield them from fans, their peers, opponents, media is such a borefest and falsehood. Montreal market won’t change, hockey won’t change. Anyone who thinks they are worth millions chasing around rubber for us should put up or gtfo.

I think some posters here get their panties tied up in a knot way more than the players do, and have an obvious bias against everything montreal manifested by insulting posturing.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
still a lot of work needed there but he's going to need to be paired with someone like Guhle to help off-set his lapses as the IQ is certainly questionable.

Matheson/Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

I think we have the pieces to support him and Hutson or Matheson.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Saint-Louis did not destroy Xhekaj confidence. This needs to stop as a narrative.

The guy was a liability at the start of the season and behind the play most of the time. He was looking to hit and getting out of position to do so. He got many deserved penalty that lost us some games.

Now he was stock in a rotation with Harris as our bottom 2 d while they want to let everyone play a little bit. He was not scratch yesterday because of a bad game saturday he was scratched because of rotation.

As for Mailloux, it will be the same for him this year if he gets called up. He'll have to no be in the bottom 2 of our D to not be in the rotation. At some point there should be some competition within our own team.

Where did i ever said that, and by the way norhing hockey related need to stop on an hockey messages board just beceause you dont agree with it ;)

durojean

May 29, 2007
Where did i ever said that, and by the way norhing hockey related need to stop on an hockey messages board just beceause you dont agree with it ;)
I feel that it should stop then. I just feel it's a bad or a false narrative.

You are right that it's fun to have opposite opinions.

Reactions: teamfirst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad